Renaming .avi file

I have a file that is name STEP BROTHERS.Title1.DVDRip.
I am trying to change it to just Step Brothers.avi
I changed the name on the desktop through properties.
I also tried the my computer>tools>folder options>view>hidden extension.

nothing seems to work. I saw a post about a ipod file but i cant open .avi on itunes so i cant do the get info option.

edit: I should have mentioned that it changes on the desktop but when opened with quicktime it shoes the original name on the title bar & also when i put it on my external hd to watch on my ps3 it shows the original name on my ps3 list.

any help would be much appreciated.

thanks
yong

What is the file path of the file?

example:

C:\programs\dvdfab\generic\setp_brothers_yada_yada.avi

BTW unless the file is stored on the desk top all you are doing is renaming the short cut to the actual file

[QUOTE=yungjopp;2196745]I have a file that is name STEP BROTHERS.Title1.DVDRip.
I am trying to change it to just Step Brothers.avi
I changed the name on the desktop through properties.
I also tried the my computer>tools>folder options>view>hidden extension.

nothing seems to work. I saw a post about a ipod file but i cant open .avi on itunes so i cant do the get info option.

edit: I should have mentioned that it changes on the desktop but when opened with quicktime it shoes the original name on the title bar & also when i put it on my external hd to watch on my ps3 it shows the original name on my ps3 list.

any help would be much appreciated.

thanks
yong[/QUOTE]

When you play the file on your PS3, just what info is showing up on screen if it’s not the filename?

O’C

[QUOTE=O’Canada;2196904]This is a Windows question, and doesn’t really belong here, but I’ll answer it anyways.

Use Windows Explorer - locate the file in whatever folder it’s currently in - make sure it appears on the file list of the right-hand panel of Explorer (you may have to go to View and select Details to get a full list (without icons) in the right panel. Put your cursor over the current name in the right panel (until it’s highlighted) - right click your mouse - a list will come up, from that list, select Rename - use arrow keys to position cursor, and type whatever you want for the name.
Press Enter.
Done!

O’C

:)[/QUOTE]

I was getting there :bigsmile:

the media player is displaying the ‘tag’ within the avi file which, unless you change it in DVDfab ( Mobile ), will be the same as the default filename you mentioned.