Removing VISTA from DELL sata HDD

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Dell hard drive - 250 GB - SATA-300. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I have a Dell 520 with VISTA pre-installed. VISTA sucks, So I bought a new copy of XP-Pro, but the 520 won’t let me install it. Tried to fdisk the drive but it won’t let me. This 520 is past warrenty, so Dell is no help (not that they ever were much help)

I need some input here, any help appreciated.:a

[QUOTE=Hawque;2157620][qanda]This thread is about the Dell hard drive - 250 GB - SATA-300. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I have a Dell 520 with VISTA pre-installed. VISTA sucks, So I bought a new copy of XP-Pro, but the 520 won’t let me install it. Tried to fdisk the drive but it won’t let me. This 520 is past warrenty, so Dell is no help (not that they ever were much help)

I need some input here, any help appreciated.:a[/QUOTE]

Just do a google search online there have information as to how to kill vista boot sector so that you can reformat to XP pro. I know I done it in the past and found information on how to do it. You just have to do some searching.

[QUOTE=Hawque;2157620][qanda]This thread is about the Dell hard drive - 250 GB - SATA-300. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I have a Dell 520 with VISTA pre-installed. VISTA sucks, So I bought a new copy of XP-Pro, but the 520 won’t let me install it. Tried to fdisk the drive but it won’t let me. This 520 is past warrenty, so Dell is no help (not that they ever were much help)

I need some input here, any help appreciated.:a[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

I have a Dell Dimension E520, which came with Vista pre-installed. Before I decided to stick with Vista, I installed XP Pro just fine on my machine (which is all SATA).

All I did, was boot from the XP Pro disc, and format/install from there - as long as you can select your DVD drive as the first boot device in the Dell’s BIOS, you should be fine.

Edit: One word of warning - if you don’t have SATA drivers for your HDD etc to load at F6 when the XP install tells you to, I would recommend to set your machine to IDE compatible mode in the BIOS before you start - it was the only way I could get XP Pro installed on mine, as I didn’t have the necessary drivers.

Hi,[quote=Hawque;2157620]
I need some input here, any help appreciated.:a[/quote]
In addition, Dell has very good guides on support.dell.com
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&docid=58E26A65A4388E4FE040AE0AB7E107E3&l=en&s=gen

All Dell drivers and utilities required are available on Dell support website.

Michael