Removing paper labels from DVD

Hey everyone;

About a year and a half ago, I ordered some hard-to-find TV shows on DVD from a pack of fly-by-nites.

Virtually all of the DVDs had serious problems, including about 1/4 of the episodes that were flat out unwatchable. They have been deteriorating rapidly since then, some discs now containing eposidoes none of which can be watched in their entirity.

I checked some of the discs out with Nero CD/DVD speed, and they all report TYG002 DVD+R media burned on some Pioneer drive.

The only thing I can think of is the paper labels welded onto each disk, I read here that these can cause problems and read errors, and well, I’m having plently of that with this lot. For reference, I have never used paper labels on DVD±Rs and most likely never will. The company supplying this stuff appears to have stopped trading (Gee, I wonder why? :rolleyes: )

Any suggestions on how I might go about removing these labels? They seem to be stuck hard on.

I’ve successfully removed paper labels from CDs (which are touchier to process than DVDs because the information layer is so close to the label). I used something called “Orangenreiniger” in German. I couldn’t find an appropriate translation, but it’s a household cleaning concentrate containing orange oil.

I soaked the label side in a flat dish for a couple of minutes and the label lifted off easily. Rinse with water and dry. Back up the disc immediately if you do this.

Good luck, and [B]never[/B] use labels on DVDs.

G

Sounds like the labels are causing these problems. Those guys must have been n00bs :stuck_out_tongue:

Get them off whatever way your can. As said previously, DVDs aren’t as delicate as CDR so don’t have to be ultra careful.

Soak the label in water to the point where its so wet you can see through it to the top of the disk, if thats not enough for it to virtually peel off by itself then in addition take a fine sponge, add a few drops and only a few drops of methalated spirit (get it at diy stores) to the sponge and very gently wipe.

Methalated spirit will not only help to remove the label more easily but it also gets rid of the nasty sticky residue that can be left behind when you remove any type of sticky label :slight_smile:

Its dirt cheap stuff to buy and is also very good to remove marker pen ink, dirt from other stuff in general and a whole load more :slight_smile: Just dont use too much or it may affect the plastic, however ive used it for years to wipe clean the bottom of my disks with no issues, you literally only need a few drops, its powerfull stuffand cleans better than those expensive disk cleaning kits.

yeah, I worked up the courage last night to start taking labels off. I left one label-side-down in a small amount of water, which it soaked up like a sponge :eek:

Getting the paper off was easy enough but getting the adhesive was another story. :Z

After getting enough of that off, I used a CD/DVD repair kit with polish to clean up the hard water and fingerprints I had got onto the bottom side.

And the results have been spectacular. Not only do they play and scan without errors, but my NEC drive gave it a Quality Score of 45 in Nero CD/DVD speed quality scanning. Which is quite good since most of my media - DVDs especially, get a 0 on that drive (even media that works perfectly).

Methylated Spirit … I’ll remember that. :iagree: Thanks.

And yes, they really were n00bs.

Have you tried using the edge of a credit card to remove the paper label? When the label is soaked that is what I used to remove the label and it appeared to work fine.

With those DVD’s with a score of 45 I think I would suggest you copy them onto another disc as that score is pretty low.

[QUOTE=Dismembered Ninja;2026836]Have you tried using the edge of a credit card to remove the paper label? When the label is soaked that is what I used to remove the label and it appeared to work fine.

With those DVD’s with a score of 45 I think I would suggest you copy them onto another disc as that score is pretty low.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn’t trust an NEC scan 100%.

Original Poster - post a scan here of one of the discs.

[QUOTE=Dismembered Ninja;2026836]Have you tried using the edge of a credit card to remove the paper label? When the label is soaked that is what I used to remove the label and it appeared to work fine.

With those DVD’s with a score of 45 I think I would suggest you copy them onto another disc as that score is pretty low.[/QUOTE]

Yeah thats also a good idea if you have nothing when it comes to nails.

Dunno if it would get rid of the left behind sticky residue though (as i said meths or even rubbing alcohol should take care of that :D)

I also agree i would also consider copying the data onto other disks if i were the OP, i guess i would have to see what state the disk and its scans were in first.

Hey everyone,

thanks to all who replied :bow: tried using methylated spirits but it didn’t do much. In any case, I’ve attached some scans of 3 discs that I’ve done work on over the last few days.

My NEC drive has actually stopped scanning (some of the) disks that still have the paper labels on them so they must be getting worse, anyways, here is a scan that I posted some time ago in the “Post your worst scans here” thread:

The set is a 24 disk set (of a TV series called “Early Edition”) and so far, I’ve given some treatment to about 4 or 5 of them. Tonight I made some more scans of the worked-on discs and some of the untouched discs that still actually scan.

The “before” images I’ve attached are all in a similar vein - crazy levels of PI Failures in the hundreds. I think one might have got into the thousands on some scans I took but didn’t keep, but don’t quote me on it.

The first two attachments are untreated discs with paper labels intact, the last 3 are discs where I removed the paper labels and scratched off as much of the adhesive as possible.

if the labeled discs seem to be getting worse so quickly, you might try using a different drive to rip them… perhaps the NEC is getting a bit worn out?

Nope, the NEC has stayed pretty sharp - I’ve had it for a couple of years now and its performace has remained constant. Also the malfunction with these discs (it’s so bad that any application that tries to read a non-functional sector crashes, like VLC) is nothing I can’t replicate on my Sammy or on a standalone player.

In any case, looks like I’ve found the solution :smiley: definately gonna get rid of all those labels over the next few days.

One last thing. The discs all show the code TYG02. These guys were such fr00bs that I wouldn’t be surprised if they used fake Taiyo Yudens, either intentionally or accidentaly.

I would like to rule out the possibility that these are fake Taiyo Yudens. When I scratched off the adhesive from the discs tops, I found that they have a hard white-top. They also have some kind of serial number on the inner ring, e.g. LA620A501123GJ

For any that may wonder why those DVDs with the labels get worse over time,even just playing… I remember a member here doing a informal scientific testing on what causes the labeled discs to deteriorate over time. And what he deduced was that over time the adhesive on those labels slowly dried out, causing the label to constrict inward & upward, causing a ‘bowing’ effect (thus why they are worse towards the ends of the playback, towards the outer edges). And when he sliced the labels like a pie (taking the pressure off the constricting), the discs started slowly getting better in it’s playability. Never back to it’s original playability, but got better.

And of course, when the labels were removed, they all played perfectly.

How did I come across that thread about the informal testing?? Yep, I was a noob at that time and had labels on my DVDs :doh:…not after that… :p:D

I’m pretty sure that thread was here at Freaks.

well, it would certainly explain a lot of the crap I’ve had to deal with from these discs.

Id back them up to disks you know to be decent if i were you while you can still read them.

HOWEVER dont know if anyone else noticed but it looks like you scanned them at FULL speed, try re-scanning at 4x and 8x and see if the result looks any better.

Ive had media in the past which has burned fine and been fine for years but scanning it at full speed gives similar results to what you have there… IE high PIF at the end of the disks.

They could also be cheapo media ive found with cheapy disks PIF rises massively around the 3.5-4gig mark, most of the time it plays ok in a dvd player, but i still chuck it.

In Sean’s case, it’s the paper labels that is causing the deteriorating scans.