Removing old versions from backed up disk

I have recently completed a back up of my data. But, I have a problem in that the disk now contains both previous and new versions of the data-I prefer just the new updated data. I am quite unfamiliar with the backup software.

Can someone kindly inform me how to remove the old versions of the data from my backup disk? Should I:

i) erase the entire back up disk and repeat the back up with the revised and updated data? or

ii) is there some way I can safely remove the undesired folders from the backup disk directly?

I have Ashampoo ver7 for back up software.

Thanks.

ATP-1

[QUOTE=ATP-1;1953762]I have recently completed a back up of my data. But, I have a problem in that the disk now contains both previous and new versions of the data-I prefer just the new updated data. I am quite unfamiliar with the backup software.

Can someone kindly inform me how to remove the old versions of the data from my backup disk? Should I:

i) erase the entire back up disk and repeat the back up with the revised and updated data? or

ii) is there some way I can safely remove the undesired folders from the backup disk directly?

I have Ashampoo ver7 for back up software.

Thanks.

ATP-1[/QUOTE]

1. What kinda media did you backup your data to?? Your asking alot but gave very little information. The software you used is helpful but not telling what you backup your data we can only assume what you have backup to.

Oops. Sorry, I am still getting a hang on what details to add to my posts here.
Let me try again: media - Sony DVD RW-1x-2x 4.7GB (DMW47S2); software - ashampoo ver.7.I’m not sure if you need info on brand and type of dvd burner, but I have an Asus 1612BL

Thanks.

Since your using RW media you can delete and rewrite in that space but you will have to format the media to be able to use that space or media. But you should be able to go from explore windows and delete the saved data. But did you first check using the shampoo software to see if it gaves you a option to delete or reformat the RW media to be made blank as to write the new data to the RW media or add to the media. Also when you do save the new data make sure you use name or numbers that don’t match the previous data saved files being the same name can cause problems when you restore data and it is unable to locate the right files.

I’m not quite up with the technical language, so I will probably sound a bit obvious or lacking. But-

[quote=coolcolors;1954218]
But you should be able to go from explore windows and delete the saved data. .[/quote]

Not quite sure how I would do this.

But did you first check using the shampoo software to see if it gaves you a option to delete or reformat the RW media to be made blank as to write the new data to the RW media or add to the media. .[/quote]

Checked. This is the second choice – Burn files & folders>Update an existing CD/DVD etc.>add or remove files and folders.

Also when you do save the new data make sure you use name or numbers that don’t match the previous data saved files being the same name can cause problems when you restore data and it is unable to locate the right files.[/quote]

Got it.

Thanks.

If you right click on the start button you will get a small menu with the second option under OPEN text then EXPLORE…select Explore with the mouse and you will have explore menu screen box from there you can go to your DVD that you inserted into the drive. From there you should be able to see what is on the media itself but you might not be able to delete it as you used a different program to write the data to the RW media. So then you will have to close or leave Explore open and run your Ashampoo program and use it to look at the RW media in the DVD drive and see if it gives you the option to delete the older data file on it…which it should…but you have to remember in order to use that part of which the old data file was on the entire dvd must be reformatted to be able to use that part where the old data was written to…but this could be different from what I remember doing…sometimes it might let you write into that space without reformatting in Ashampoo. You will have to test it to see if one of those ways works out best for you. But rather use another media to write one data and again write a different data to that RW media as a test and see if you can delete one of those data files without reformatting.