Removing DVD Labels?

Having read the negative effect of sticking paper labels on DVD, is there a better way of removing the labels out? I tried peeling them off and it is not easy.

Thanks,

Santa

• Modified title to something more descriptive * *

Soapy water might do it. But the odds of creating scuffs and scratches on the recorded side of the disc are high. Best to just replace the discs.

I’ve used razor blade paint scrapers successfully, but it’s painstaking work and it’s easy to carve right into the disk, ruining it.

Removing the label leaves glue.
I have removed glue from many commercial signs using various types of glue remover. Almost all glue removers I have seen have a tendency to mar the finish of plastic products. It seems they eat into the plastic, so I wouldn’t be trying that unless you have a spare disk you don’t care about, to experiment on.

I subscribe to the theory that paper labels cause the DVD to bend, because of uneven heat dispersal. Once the DVD heats up, the bending causes vibration and the disk can’t be read until it cools down and flattens out.
I can verify that having labelled a pile of my DVDs, I experienced tons of problems trying to play those disks on my computer and on my living room DVD player.

I fixed my DVD problem by drilling a bunch of 1/4inch holes in the lid of my burner, and laying a computer chassis fan on top. The fan pulls the heat from the unit and I’m able to retrieve my data. It sounds ridiculous but it’s the only method that has worked for me.

Writing on them with a sharpie works fine, and causes no problems.
I’ll never use a paper label on a DVD again…not a good idea. This is based on a lot of personal experience.

[QUOTE=Hawk20011;2210020]I subscribe to the theory that paper labels cause the DVD to bend, because of uneven heat dispersal. Once the DVD heats up, the bending causes vibration and the disk can’t be read until it cools down and flattens out.
I can verify that having labelled a pile of my DVDs, I experienced tons of problems trying to play those disks on my computer and on my living room DVD player.[/quote]

Labels do that, as well as imbalance a dvd and a myriad of other problems.

[QUOTE=Hawk20011;2210020]I fixed my DVD problem by drilling a bunch of 1/4inch holes in the lid of my burner, and laying a computer chassis fan on top. The fan pulls the heat from the unit and I’m able to retrieve my data. It sounds ridiculous but it’s the only method that has worked for me.[/QUOTE]

I’m glad it works for you but beware that drilling holes on top of the burner’s case may introduce more dust and dirt which might prematurely kill your burner.