Removing cpu fan/heat sink problem

vbimport

I have a asus 8n sli deluxe m/b which i am sending in for warranty work. my cpu fan, heat sink and cpu must be removed prior to shipping. I have release the "over center latching mechanism and gently tugged and nothing is budging. The fan is a masscool and cpu is AMD Athlon 64 3500+ ClawHammer Socket. This is 3 yrs old and assume the paste is sticking tight. What am I missing? Does the fan and heat sink come off as a unit?
Thank you.

There is a release lever that has to be flipped up to about 45-90 degrees from the motherboard for the CPU to be easily removed from the socket. Typically this lever can’t be moved that far until the heat sink and fan are removed. If you can slide it in between the CPU and heat sink you might be able to use a knife blade to separate them. Just be gentle and having the motherboard out of the case will make this easier. Also, if you can unhook the heat sink latches and twist it and slide it sideways a little that can sometimes break the seal that develops with age. My advice is to not force anything. If you pull too hard you might damage the pins on the CPU or pull them off if you forcibly remove the CPU with the heat sink attached.

[QUOTE=UTR;2172989]There is a release lever that has to be flipped up to about 45-90 degrees from the motherboard for the CPU to be easily removed from the socket. Typically this lever can’t be moved that far until the heat sink and fan are removed. If you can slide it in between the CPU and heat sink you might be able to use a knife blade to separate them. Just be gentle and having the motherboard out of the case will make this easier. Also, if you can unhook the heat sink latches and twist it and slide it sideways a little that can sometimes break the seal that develops with age. My advice is to not force anything. If you pull too hard you might damage the pins on the CPU or pull them off if you forcibly remove the CPU with the heat sink attached.[/QUOTE]
yes, the release handle is next to the heat sink area. i released this. i didn’t look closely because i ran out of time this morning, but the 2 latches that capture the mother board may not have released completely. so really, then the fan, heatsink and cpu “should” pop out from socket, correct?

Ok, on the AMD and early Intel chips you can get a weird effect where a seal is formed by the heatsink compound. Newer chips suffer from this less but it can still happen, its caused by the large area of the heat spreader on the CPU.

You need to make sure all clips are undone on the heatsink and then while applying upward pressure to lift the heatsink off you would twist it left and right as much as possible to try and break the vacuum seal between the CPU and heatsink. Sometimes you get unlucky and the CPU comes out with the heatsink if you pull to hard (I have done it a few times) and you then need to check for damaged pins (not had any yet).

[QUOTE=drmax1111;2173001]yes, the release handle is next to the heat sink area. i released this. i didn’t look closely because i ran out of time this morning, but the 2 latches that capture the mother board may not have released completely. so really, then the fan, heatsink and cpu “should” pop out from socket, correct?[/QUOTE]

Unless you have a very small heat sink I’m not sure how you would have enough room to fully release the CPU locking lever. Are you sure you are not confusing the CPU release lever with the heat sink release mechanism?

[QUOTE=UTR;2173105]Unless you have a very small heat sink I’m not sure how you would have enough room to fully release the CPU locking lever. Are you sure you are not confusing the CPU release lever with the heat sink release mechanism?[/QUOTE]
this lever i speak of, releases pressure on a clip that goes over the heat sink.

[QUOTE=drmax1111;2173156]this lever i speak of, releases pressure on a clip that goes over the heat sink.[/QUOTE]

I don’t think you have moved the CPU release lever. If you had, the CPU would literally fall out of the motherboard if you turned it upside down. Some heat sinks have a lever too and that might be what you actually released. Can you post a picture of it? That would help a lot.

[QUOTE=UTR;2173162]I don’t think you have moved the CPU release lever. If you had, the CPU would literally fall out of the motherboard if you turned it upside down. Some heat sinks have a lever too and that might be what you actually released. Can you post a picture of it? That would help a lot.[/QUOTE]
I will if i get into a pickle. I need to look it over more closely when I get home. Thank you. Oh, if i need to upload a pick, I guess i have to use something like photobucket, eh?

Photobucket is what I use. For a free service it is very good.

To the OP:
Get the heatsink off first.
Do this by releasing the heatsink clamps, applying heat if needed with a hair dryer* to the HS and then using a careful, slight twisting/lifting motion.
*Heat from the hair dryer will loosen the thermal paste.

Then you can deal with the simple removal of the CPU.
Consult your motherboard manual for more info…grab it on-line if you don’t have a hard copy.

got it. when i release the lever for heatsink/fan, the clips didn’t fully release from the plastic box that surrounds the cpu. got 'r done. thx