Remove pops / clicks from a bad cd rip

Hi all,

I have this very nice cd from Aphex Twin which got broken awhile ago…

Luckely I make backups of all my cds

unfortunatly this was one of my first backups from before I knew EAC, so it is a bad rip :frowning:

The rip I have contains some sort of pop / click, but always only in 1 channel, as you can see in the below example from Adobe Audition (extremely much zoomed in):

And here is another example, but then less zoomed in (in marked the pop with a red circle):

I was able to remove this pop / click in Audition by dragging every single hz point, one by one, to the correct position (flattening out the bumb in picture above)…

Now although this works, there must be better ways :slight_smile: (especially to find them! Now I have to listen extremely carefull to all tracks, cause sometimes they are hardly hearable… and i’m sure i missed some)

I already tried with the “Pop and Click Removal” effect in Audacity, but no matter how I put the sliders, this does nothing at all (it seems like it doesnt detect the pop / click)

So does this “kind of pop / click” have a different name perhaps? What should I look for in google?
Does anyone know a tool that can detect them? --> most important question
Does anyone know a tool that can “fix” them?

Thanks!

Might I suggest looking on half.com for another copy of the
original CD?

Searching for “Aphex Twin” I get 42 hits, most in the $1-$4 range

AD

well… I’m from the EU, so I guess I’ll pay a lot more on shipping then on the CD then :wink:

also I don’t like avoiding the problem… there must be an easier way to just solve it…

I’ve heart pops like this before (so it is not such an exceptional problem i think), usually i just re-rip in a proper way, but now i cant…

someone must have been in a similar situation before, no?

Exact Audio copy may be able to declick it, so long as it uncompressed (or lossless) - the EAC declick only looks for the hard glitch typical of a bad rip, and cannot handle vinyl clicks or CD rip glitches softened by MP3 or other compression.

Mastakilla wrote,

“Now I have to listen extremely carefull to all tracks, cause sometimes they are [B]hardly hearable[/B]… and i’m sure i [B]missed[/B] some)”…

Well, as you’ve found out by now, EAC or dBpoweramp with accuraterip ,would have been the proper way to rip…If the so-called ‘clicks or pops’ are in the original recording, there’s nothing you can do…
Might try mp3gain to lower the volume and perhaps it won’t be as audible to your ears, if it’s audible at all now…Enjoy the music, b/c the more you [I][B]look[/B][/I] at waveforms/graphs, the more you’ll think you hear “clicks”, or “[B]missed some[/B]”…We don’t hear/listen to music with our [B]eyes[/B], we [B]listen[/B] to it with our [B]ears[/B]…

Well, as you’ve found out by now, EAC or dBpoweramp with accuraterip ,would have been the proper way to rip…If the so-called ‘clicks or pops’ are in the original recording, there’s nothing you can do…
Might try mp3gain to lower the volume and perhaps it won’t be as audible to your ears, if it’s audible at all now…Enjoy the music, b/c the more you [I][B]look[/B][/I] at waveforms/graphs, the more you’ll think you hear “clicks”, or “[B]missed some[/B]”…We don’t hear/listen to music with our [B]eyes[/B], we [B]listen[/B] to it with our [B]ears[/B]…[/QUOTE]

t0nee1 is right. After I had ripped an Aerosmith cd, I found an odd noise. So I opened it up in an editing tool to look for it, I found it, tried to fix it, and after much time lost, I finally went back to listen to the cd itself, only to find that it was on the original, store bought cd. You really need the original song to insure that you are clipping out the right parts and not what the musicians intended to be.

i dont go look for the pops with my eyes :wink:

i hear them…

and they are quite obviously (for me at least) not part of the original song

It also extremely clearly to see if you zoom in enough, that this is not a “normal” “musical-sound-wave”

i removed them manually now and i guess i’ll just have to hope that i didn’t miss any…

strange that there is no tool for this, if i can recognize them so easily, a tool to do the same cant be that hard for someone with enough experience…

Have you looked at Wavosaur? http://www.wavosaur.com/

On the left side of the main page, click ‘Tutorials’ and you’ll see one for noise removal.

Audacity is another pretty good audio editor, http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Here’s a little tutorial for removing clicks/pops with Audacity.

http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=Click_Removal

For some reason, I doubt the OP will try again, since they stated this,

I already tried with the “Pop and Click Removal” effect in Audacity, but no matter how I put the sliders, this does nothing at all (it seems like it doesnt detect the pop / click)

However, they also say this,
"[B]Now I have to listen extremely carefull"
“hardly hearable”[/B]

and then this,
" [B]i dont go look for the pops with my eyes
i hear them…"[/B]

If you’re that paranoid, you will find them ,even when not there…
@ OP, keep looking!..:wink:

The guide gives him 2 or 3 other ways to do it besides using the sliders.

[QUOTE=t0nee1;2230447]For some reason, I doubt the OP will try again, since they stated this,

However, they also say this,
"[B]Now I have to listen extremely carefull"
“hardly hearable”[/B]

and then this,
" [B]i dont go look for the pops with my eyes
i hear them…"[/B]

If you’re that paranoid, you will find them ,even when not there…
@ OP, keep looking!..;)[/QUOTE]
let me say it differently:

the problem is not all hearing them, the problem is staying focussed on the music for an entire CD long…

once you find them they are very easy to hear

[QUOTE=Whappo;2230453]The guide gives him 2 or 3 other ways to do it besides using the sliders.[/QUOTE]
thanks, i’ll give it another shot…

I’ve had this problem with digital rips of vinyls that I have gotten from people. But I just leave it be.