Remove DTS....?

vbimport

Getting back to ripping some DVD’s. I’m trying to understand why the default is “Remove DTS” when in Full Mode. Full means full yes? Seems to me if you want to remove something that is “Custom Mode” yes?

The only place to keep all sound codecs is by using Custom Mode? Is that correct?

[QUOTE=jsmiddleton4;2636657]Getting back to ripping some DVD’s. I’m trying to understand why the default is “Remove DTS” when in Full Mode. Full means full yes? Seems to me if you want to remove something that is “Custom Mode” yes?

The only place to keep all sound codecs is by using Custom Mode? Is that correct?[/QUOTE]

If you wish to keep all audio tracks that are available on the original DVD you can go into common settings and on the left side under ‘Streams’ select ‘Audio’ and at the bottom you can select ‘All Tracks’ in the drop menu located on the right.

[B]SJ[/B]

Found that. Set it to All Tracks. Main screen under remove section still says Remove DTS. So the main screen is incorrect and all audio streams will be ripped?

I have never used my one free bluray rip. Until now that is. Using it on my desktop as I cruise here on my laptop. At least it has a simple check mark for “Keep HD Audio”.

I understand the point of stripping unwanted audio tracks. Especially if going to watch the ripped results on a phone, etc. It is just that to me Full means Full. If its on the disk, I choose Full, everything on the disk gets ripped. If the default leaves off the DTS audio, well that simply isn’t “Full”.

Yes?

[QUOTE=jsmiddleton4;2636666]Found that. Set it to All Tracks. Main screen under remove section still says Remove DTS. So the main screen is incorrect and all audio streams will be ripped?

I have never used my one free bluray rip. Until now that is. Using it on my desktop as I cruise here on my laptop. At least it has a simple check mark for “Keep HD Audio”.

I understand the point of stripping unwanted audio tracks. Especially if going to watch the ripped results on a phone, etc. It is just that to me Full means Full. If its on the disk, I choose Full, everything on the disk gets ripped. If the default leaves off the DTS audio, well that simply isn’t “Full”.

Yes?[/QUOTE]

On the main UI those are selectable settings under the ‘Removing’ I do believe just like the selectable setting located under ‘Copying’ and ‘Navigation’, course I could be wrong though… it wouldn’t be the first time.

[B]SJ[/B]

I’ll look.

Still of the opinion that when I select Full, the result is the whole disk, the full disk, is copied.

I wanted to see if I was having this problem .
I’m not.
When I load a DVD (not Bluray) that has DTS audio the box under “Removing” for "Remove DTS audio " is unchecked . That should mean the DTS audio will be copied.

There is also a setting in common settings as in the image below that should select “All Tracks” of audio. I usually remove DTS so I haven’t made sure this works.

Hi Cholla

Yeah I too don’t have this issue, if program does not detect the DTS audio in the original then that check box for that setting will not be displayed/available.

[B]SJ[/B]

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2636726] if program does not detect the DTS audio in the original then that check box for that setting will not be displayed/available.[/QUOTE]

Hi SJ , Same for me .
I decided to go ahead & rip the DVD I knew had DTS . This is the MediaInfo for the DTS . It appears to have ripped it .

I’ll look later today. On my the Remove information panel is on top, not in the middle by the way.

“then that check box for that setting will not be displayed/available.”

No checkbox. Just by default in the Remove information panel it says Removing DTS.

I don’t know why your DVDFab GUI would display differently .
Does your’s have all 3 of the areas ? Just in a different order .

Ne neither. For mine the Remove panel on top, copy panel in middle. I’ll grab some graphics in a bit.

I’m sure this is just a GUI presentation thing. But here are 2 captures. The way I read this is, and I understand there is no check mark beside it, I’m removing DTS audio track. When in fact I’m not. So in Full Mode I get the check box. In Main Movie Mode no check box but the phrase is still present, Removing DTS…, in the Remove Panel. As I read this the stuff listed in the Remove Info Panel, that stuff is being removed. But it isn’t actually.

And the “Tile Playback…” thing. It does nothing when I click on it.

[QUOTE=jsmiddleton4;2636732]No checkbox. Just by default in the Remove information panel it says Removing DTS.[/QUOTE]

That shouldn’t be the case as the GUI should be identical for everyone.

BTW you’d asked the question at the start of this thread as to why DTS is removed by default.

It’s because DTS audio streams are much larger than the equivalent AC3 audio.

Most people are happy with AC3 surround sound so retaining this and removing the DTS increases the space available and therefore the improves final quality of the video when compression is required.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Ah right those posts overlapped but I see what you mean now.

A lot of the terminology in DVDFab isn’t correct due to translation issues so it could well be the case that the DTS is retained even though it says it’s removing it.

I agree with you though that it’s an odd way of doing things.

[B]Wombler[/B]

I understand why its removed. And having the option to remove sound tracks, or any unwanted “pieces” is not the issue I’m sharing.

When Full is selected, it should be Full. Nothing should be removed by default. If you want to remove stuff, that is “Custom”. Full should be everything on the original disk. That is what “Full” means.

In other words when selecting “Full” there should not be a remove panel at all. Should be instruction that IF you want to remove stuff, go to Custom. Then Custom Mode gives you check boxes galore of things you can and can’t remove.

If that makes any sense.

“the GUI should be identical for everyone.”

As you can see it isn’t. Maybe the older version vs. the newest version that I’m using?

[QUOTE=jsmiddleton4;2636755]“the GUI should be identical for everyone.”

As you can see it isn’t. Maybe the older version vs. the newest version that I’m using?[/QUOTE]

It is identical.

You’d posted those graphics while I was composing my earlier post so I didn’t see them until after I’d posted hence the second post.

As far as ‘Full disc’ mode goes personally speaking I don’t see any conflict in allowing users to select the default subtitle and audio streams of their choice for this particular mode but others may have their own views on this.

Customise mode is more wide ranging and allows users to select whatever combination of titles they prefer.

TBH I don’t think it would be fair to force users that simply want a ‘full’ disc without DTS to have to go through the more complicated customise interface.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Sorry but in cholla’s post Copy is top panel, remove is middle panel. How is that identical?

“I don’t think it would be fair”

It isn’t a “fair or unfair” issue. It is what does “Full” mean issue. If the default for “Full” is the copy leaves stuff out that is on the original disk than that ain’t “Full”. Full doesn’t mean stuff is left out. Full means FULL.

If users want to reduce the size of the copy/backup I agree, users should have that option. But that is not “Full”. That is “Custom”.

I agree it is confusing if you don’t know the option is only avaiable when a DVD has a DTS audio track. Then the check box appears so you can “Remove DTS audio” .
I guess it would be the same for the other options that don’t have check boxes.
I will try & get the latest version downloaded & installed to see if the GUI changes.
I’m using Vista but I don’t beleive that would make any difference.
When I select “main move” I get a completely different GUI than jsmiddleton4 .