Remembering RITEKG05

vbimport

I always get sad whenever I think of RITEKG05. It’s such a shame that what appeared to be such a good media, went down in flames and in the annals of history, as possibly the worst and most unstable media of all time. Just for the hell of it, while thinking about the old days of 2x burning due to my aquisition of some 2x Mitsui/TY media, I threw an old and ugly looking Office Depot G05 in my stone-age Pioneer DVR-104 burner, and was ready to laugh at what would come out. Unfortunately, G05 continues to haunt me. Sigh.

Does anyone else miss G05, and feel nostalgic for what could have been?

And let me repeat that, I burned this on a DVR-104 at 2x (firmware 1.40)!

I think it had so much potential, especially given initial results.

Edit: forgot to mention excellent compatibility…makes it even worse, what most of the discs ended up like :sad:

What could have been, eh? :wink:

Hmm … Quality Score 97, max PIF of 6, No POF … LOOKS good … from here

I fortunately missed the pleasures of dealing with the Ritek G05, primarily because I didn’t use DVD Rs at all until a couple of years ago, and didn’t get seriously into them them until recently, when I settled on Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim, primarily as a result of what I had read here.

So just how bad were these babies? Fast degrading?

Anyone have scans (Disc Quality, TRT, or ScanDisc) of older G05s?

[QUOTE=SeanW;2056745]
So just how bad were these babies? Fast degrading?

Anyone have scans (Disc Quality, TRT, or ScanDisc) of older G05s?[/QUOTE]

For a lot of them (not all), fast degrading is an understatement :wink:

Do a forum search for Ritek G05 :wink:

I’ve had many RitekG0x DVD-Rs because of their excellent compatibility. My PS2 loved those.

Most of them degraded really badly, some of them not (yet).

Two examples, both burned end '05 and scanned some months ago

Pretty colors

Ritek G03 was last good GXX.

Hmmm if the G04/5 discs never degraded, they’d actually be some of the best discs still around!

They were cheap back in the day when Verbatim was 50% more expensive and their compatibility was great. They worked in anything. If they simply never degraded, G04/5 may have been reigning supreme right now.

And I know this is sacrilege to ask, but we’re sure that Ritek never fixed the problem, right? In other words, there was never a point where we were able to generally verify that the fast degrading was no longer an issue? There’s still some G05 out there, a lot newer than the original implosion, and I just wonder if anyone ever gave it another chance.

[QUOTE=negritude;2057155]And I know this is sacrilege to ask, but we’re sure that Ritek never fixed the problem, right? In other words, there was never a point where we were able to generally verify that the fast degrading was no longer an issue? There’s still some G05 out there, a lot newer than the original implosion, and I just wonder if anyone ever gave it another chance.[/QUOTE]

I gave thema another chance (few months ago I bought some Traxdatas) and they are still degrading… :a Therefore I think that Ritek’s main problem was the dye, which was used for Ritek G04/G05 media. And that was the main reason why they switched to Fujifilm’s dye when they started manufacturing of 16x media - Ritek F1, ec…

Ridata -R 8x, two years old and still plays fine, but i really don’t have a lot
trust in this disc.
Scans @12X & Jitter @1x

[QUOTE=pepst;2057156]I gave thema another chance (few months ago I bought some Traxdatas) and they are still degrading… :a Therefore I think that Ritek’s main problem was the dye, which was used for Ritek G04/G05 media. And that was the main reason why they switched to Fujifilm’s dye when they started manufacturing of 16x media - Ritek F1, ec…[/QUOTE]

Quite some other factors speed up the process, so it’s not the dye alone.

Ahem, perhaps they accidentally used a [I]die[/I] layer instead of a [I]dye[/I] layer for the G05s? :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2057187]Ahem, perhaps they accidentally used a [I]die[/I] layer instead of a [I]dye[/I] layer for the G05s? :p[/QUOTE]

LOL! :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=negritude;2056594]I always get sad whenever I think of RITEKG05. [/quote]Rings a bell here.

Does anyone else miss G05
I don’t, since I still burn some for short-term use, when compatibility is paramount and stability can be ignored (video demonstration discs). I stocked G05 (Ridatas and Traxdatas) in 2005, I still have about 200 of them. :stuck_out_tongue:
and feel nostalgic for what could have been?
You bet.
Hmmm if the G04/5 discs never degraded, they’d actually be some of the best discs still around!
Definitly. :iagree:
perhaps they accidentally used a die layer instead of a dye layer for the G05s
"Perhaps"? What do you mean? :stuck_out_tongue: :bigsmile:

The other MID I feel sad about is MBIPG101 R04. Could have easily been in the “Verbatim MCC 004 and YUDEN000T02” team, if the manufacturing quality hadn’t been so… unpredictable. :rolleyes:

Funny thing is that I saw Ridata DVD-R 8X Double Sided discs in a friend’s store and I borrowerd one to test and I was sure it was RitekG05 :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Francksoy;2057463]
The other MID I feel sad about is MBIPG101 R04. Could have easily been in the “Verbatim MCC 004 and YUDEN000T02” team, if the manufacturing quality hadn’t been so… unpredictable. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah :iagree:

The curious part about the G05s was the variation in degradation speed - I still have a few that scan fine after 3 year - yet others from the same spindle aren’t even recognized as discs (actually, I threw those out a long time ago and only have the handful of readable ones left) - others are in the in-between stage, not quite as colourful as the above scans.

[QUOTE=negritude;2056594]I always get sad whenever I think of RITEKG05. It’s such a shame that what appeared to be such a good media, went down in flames and in the annals of history, as possibly the worst and most unstable media of all time. Just for the hell of it, while thinking about the old days of 2x burning due to my aquisition of some 2x Mitsui/TY media, I threw an old and ugly looking Office Depot G05 [B]in my stone-age Pioneer DVR-104 burner[/B], and was ready to laugh at what would come out. Unfortunately, G05 continues to haunt me. Sigh.

Does anyone else miss G05, and feel nostalgic for what could have been?

And let me repeat that, I burned this on a DVR-104 at 2x (firmware 1.40)![/QUOTE]

Superb drive, mine still also is alive 'n kickin!!