Remember to Keep Your Eyes Open!

Everyone on bikes Be Careful!

A picture is worth a thousand words.
The Honda rider was traveling at such a “very high speed”, his reaction time was not
sufficient enough to avoid this accident. Swedish Police estimate a speed of ~250
KM/h (155mph) before the bike hit the slow moving car side-on at an intersection. At
that speed, they predicted that the rider’s reaction time (once the vehicle came into
view) wasn’t sufficient enough for him to even apply the brakes. The car had two
passengers and the bike rider was found INSIDE the car with them. The Volkswagen
actually flipped over from the force of impact and landed 10 feet from where the
collision took place.
All three involved (two in car and rider) were killed instantly. This graphic
demonstration was placed at the Stockholm Motorcycle Fair by the Swedish Police
and Road Safety Department. The sign above the display also noted that the rider
had only recently obtained his license.
At 250 KM (155 mph) the operator is traveling at 227 feet per second. With normal
reaction time to SEE-DECIDE-REACT of 1.6 seconds the above operator would have
traveled over 363 feet while making a decision on what actions to take. In this
incident the Swedish police indicate that no actions were taken.

:disagree:

Everyone on bikes [B]Don’t be a dumb@$$ and drive safely! Regular streets are not a circuit![/B]

Ouch :eek:

Unfortunately, a lot of bike riders on UK roads at least, think they’re invincible. It’s for other motorists, particularly those in cars, to take care and avoid them.

I’ve lost a few friends on motorcycles in the last couple of years through similar accidents. I have a large powerful bike myself, hubby hates me riding it.

In all honesty, be the rider doing 155MPH or 55MPH his/her chances of surviving such an accident is slim. In most of these cases, the car driver just doesn’t see the bike.

:iagree: I look out for bikes the best i can. I always look them in the eye so they know i know they are there.

Sammy Hagar > I can’t drive 55.

A lot of bike riders (in my last post) = not all :wink:

I was walking home from somewhere a good few years back now, when a car pulled straight out of a side road. A bike was coming down the main road, the car driver didn’t even look, just pulled straight out. The bike (and rider) went straight over the bonnet of the car - luckily the rider was fine, though his bike was a write-off.

Those adverts saying pay attention for bikes have a point :iagree: . The amount of times my mum’s had to pull an emergency stop because a bike’s come out in front of her is unreal (hence my remark above).

Well, a lot of bike riders are lunatics so they are not blameless either.

That’s generally the case in Oz :stuck_out_tongue:
Speed limits of 110Kmh/hr apply for bikes as well. And we have motorcycle police to enforce it. The cars just don’t stand a chance :stuck_out_tongue:

Doesn’t stop them, most times though :stuck_out_tongue:

And they just love cruising down lines of parked cars at high speed, aka Traffic Jams, with people swinging out doors & jumping out of their cars randomly :stuck_out_tongue:

Don’t they have police helicopters there?

Australia can’t afford helicopters. They spent all their money on fixed speed cameras.

:bigsmile:

That picture is pretty old but still…

We have quite a few nut case drivers around us, just a few weeks ago I watched a guy doing a wheelie down the highway at highway speeds no less…

What gives me the willies are the idiot bikers riding in t-shirts, shorts and no helmet. I can’t help but imagine what is going to happen if they have to lay down the bike in an emergency.

I can’t tell you how many idiots I see riding in flipflops, tank top, and shorts. Apparently they have never had a minor accident before, let alone a major one. I learned my lessons clear back in my early dirt bike days. Dress appropriate, and slow down and enjoy the scenery. Besides, it is kind of hard for the gals to check you out on your bike, when you are doing 100+

I’ve been riding road bikes for 33 years now, without an accident. You just have to be careful…

Don’t think I’ve ever gone faster than 55 on mine (well, maybe 110 km/h) :slight_smile:

(do we need a show your bikes thread?)