Reliable dvd+r DL for ripping?

Hi,

I am using the sony drx-830u rewritable drive and having trouble finding reliable dvd+r dl media for ripping. I bought a ton of Memorex dvd-r dl disks (i think a spindle of 50) and as often as not (probably way way way MORE often) my drive is unable to see the disks.

Could somebody please recommend a reliable “dvd+r dl” for ripping - perhaps a recommendation geared specifically to the sony drx-830u drive? I believe my drivers are up to date. I’d like to find a bargain brand, but am willing to purchase a higher cost disk if it ups the reliability. I’m sitting here looking at a huge stack of the memorex blanks with tears in my eyes thinking of the waste if my drive and the dvdfabplat won’t recognize these disks.

If you have a recommendation, could you provide a link to that dvd+r dl on amazon, circuit city, or best buy?

HELP!!!

Thanks in advance…

c_catanach

[QUOTE=c_catanach;1958256]Hi,

I am using the sony drx-830u rewritable drive and having trouble finding reliable dvd+r dl media for ripping. I bought a ton of Memorex dvd-r dl disks (i think a spindle of 50) and as often as not (probably way way way MORE often) my drive is unable to see the disks.

[B]Could somebody please recommend a reliable “dvd+r dl” for ripping[/B] - perhaps a recommendation geared specifically to the sony drx-830u drive? I believe my drivers are up to date. I’d like to find a bargain brand, but am willing to purchase a higher cost disk if it ups the reliability. I’m sitting here looking at a huge stack of the memorex blanks with tears in my eyes thinking of the waste if my drive and the dvdfabplat won’t recognize these disks.

If you have a recommendation, could you provide a link to that dvd+r dl on amazon, circuit city, or best buy?

HELP!!!

Thanks in advance…

c_catanach[/QUOTE]

I wonder what DL media has to do with ripping?!
The media youhave bought is sub par, Memorex cd and dvd media is cheapo and so is their quality.

I suggest you buy Verbatim DVD+R DL 2.4x rated media.

Ditto on the Verbatim, but try your best to make sure it is made in Singapore. You also might have some other problems because I have tried a few different brands of DL, (including the one you mentioned), & SL media, but can’t recall any of my drives not seeing them, didn’t burn worth crap, but that’s another story.

Thanks guys.

Chef, I mention the ripping aspect simply because that’s the application I happen to be using DL media for.

I have had some really crappy burns, in line with what you mention, Beef.

Yeah - it’s killing me why so many of my DL blanks are “hit and miss” with my sony drx-830u (or the OS (windows xp)) not seeing that DL media is even inserted at all; am wondering if it’s an issue with the drive itself (?).

But I will try the verbatim and hopefully can find it “made in singapore”; if anybody would like to offer another suggestion on brands, that would be great as well. I’m willing to pay higher prices at this point.

Thanks all,
cpc

PS - is there anything I can do with a blank DL DVD prior to burning to help ensure a better burn hopefully? Like formating it first? If so, what application would I use? (Nero drivespeed? etc.?)

[QUOTE=c_catanach;1958637]
PS - is there anything I can do with a blank DL DVD prior to burning to help ensure a better burn hopefully? Like formating it first? If so, what application would I use? (Nero drivespeed? etc.?)[/QUOTE]

It is no RW media. This DL media is “formatted” during the burning process.

[QUOTE=beef barley;1958546]Ditto on the Verbatim, but try your best to make sure it is made in Singapore. You also might have some other problems because I have tried a few different brands of DL, (including the one you mentioned), & SL media, but can’t recall any of my drives not seeing them, didn’t burn worth crap, but that’s another story.[/QUOTE]

Agree totally beef barley tried diff DL media and the only one that i’ve has good results with is verbs MIS , not MII … ALL others tried with my burners appox 30-45 % coasters ie : FUJI Ritek as a example … never dared Memosucks … how’s the TDK DL ??

I bought a 25 pack of Philips Dvd+R DL 8X, made in Taiwan, MID=CMC MAG-D04-00 @FS, because they were cheap, shocked the he11 out of me, turned out to be not bad so far. Don’t go near the, is it dead or is it Memorex DLs, been there. Only TDK that I have tried were TTH02 SL, not great, but not the worst either. I have already instructed eveybody that knows me, if I even mention about buying Fuji DLs again, they are to slap me around until I come to my senses.

TDK media in general, their DL also, is a very bad choice since a while…

However, I had some good results by using DVD+R DL media with MID “CMC MAG D04” - not only the MID but also the manufacturer is a big point when it comes to this media. Be careful. I had success with “Datawrite Titanium 2.4x DL” burned with some newer Pioneer dvd burners. :wink:

Thanks all, for the inputs thus far.

So, I am learning, that when I decided a year ago that i wanted to start backing up my store-bought DVDs, then went out and bought a DL capable burning drive, DVDFabPlat, updated all software and firmware associated with the burning drive, etc., yada, yada, yada… what I am learing is that the weak link in the chain IS, WAS, and seems to REMAIN is the media to be burned to (the disks).

Seems DL blank DVDs is a young media, and until the industry gets a handle on making them better, there will be many coasters in my life posing as DL blanks???

Is that kind of the state of backing up store-bought DVDs of the DL variety???

Also have learned that verbatim is the DL blank of choice… for now???

Is that about the long and short of it???

Thanks again, to all who are posting!!

c_catanach

PS - Is verbatim the preferred choice for single-layer disks for ripping movies, as well???

Unfortunately for us that use DLs on occasion, the industry is not making them better. From what you have read here & throughout this Forum, it’s all about what people have found to be the most consistant media for the long haul, but using the best media you can is useless without cutting down the chance of coasters by making sure that the programs you use are fully up to date & the right programs to do the job, check the changelog & if you feel it will improve your drive’s performance or help in anyway, flash the firmware update if there is one. Now I am not saying anything against any other programs, but this is the method that has been consistant for me, RipIt4Me (Full Dvd Rip), place the resulting video files into a VIDEO_TS folder & burn with ImgBurn in Build Mode. I repeat, this is the method I use, others will have their own. For DL I have had great success with Verbatim 2.4X Dvd+R DL, 25 pack spindle, made in Singapore, MKM-001 & Verbatim 8X Dvd+R DL, 15 pack spindle, made in Singapore, MKM-003. I have had good success with Philips 8X Dvd+R DL, 25 pack spindle, made in Taiwan, CMC MAG-D04. No real luck with Fuji or Memorex. For SLs I have had great success with Sony 8X Dvd+R, 50 pack spindle, made in Japan, YUDENT02, Verbatim from 4X all the way up to 16X, currently Verbatim 16X Dvd+R, 100 pack spindle, made in Taiwan, MCC-004. I have had relative success with some other SLs such as TDK 16X Dvd-R, TTH02, made in Taiwan, but none with Fuji or Memorex. Again this is only my own personal experience, others will differ & have different results.