Reliable coaster factory... :( (LG GSA-H10N)

[qanda]This thread is about the LG GSA-H10N. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]My parents’ machine has this burner, and that machine is not used very often to burn, but when used, it will burn a few per day (when I use it)

The burner is in general good, MOST of the burns are OK and it does it fast. The disturbing thing is that very reliably and consistently it will trash a disc or more in a burning session of 10-15 :frowning:
To make it worse, Nero (or imgburn) don’t report any issue while burning, the log just shows “started -> finished OK”

However, when trying to use the trashed discs they will have unrecoverable read errors. Discs look physically perfect as far as scratches or imperfections. At first I thought it didn’t like the media fed (MCC004 or MCC03RG20) so I also got some ProdicsF02, RitekF1 and CMCM01.

The result is the same, most of the discs burn fine and fast, but hidden among the stash of burned discs there will one or more that are totally trashed… consistent, reliable and repeatable behavior :frowning: Nero or imgburn say the burn has been successful.

I have tried burning the -R at 8x (no 12x option for -R) and the R at 8x and 12x… still the same situation. Invariably, one or more will be a coaster.

The firmware is JL12, edited with MediaCodeSpeedEdit to remove video riplock only (don’t remember exact version of MCSE, but it was done over a year ago) Machine is an AMD Athlon 64 x2 4600 , 2 GB DDR2-667, ECS 6100GSM board (GeForce 6100 integrated video with NForce 410 southbridge) It has the nvidia IDE driver, so this might be a suspect.

Software used are either Nero 7.10 or imgburn 2.4.0.0… but coaster generation reliability remains the same regardless of software.

Should I reflash the firmware using a newer version of MCSE? Change the IDE driver from nvidia to MS? The hard drive has never had any problems. Just forget about it and change the burner?

Thanks

Alex

Hi Alex,

i would use good quality media (like verbatim or TY) and slow speeds 8x (max 12x), also have you tried the discs in another dvd player (if it’s a movie) or another dvd drive?
The drivers from MS should be a good choice, i never had problems with the MS drivers.

[QUOTE=vroom;2193672]Hi Alex,

i would use good quality media (like verbatim or TY) and slow speeds 8x (max 12x), also have you tried the discs in another dvd player (if it’s a movie) or another dvd drive?
The drivers from MS should be a good choice, i never had problems with the MS drivers.[/QUOTE]

I already tried all of those.

The burner was fed exclusively Verbatim media (+R 16x MCC004 CMC made PAPA; -R 16x MCC03RG20 CMC made PAP6) It trashes them equally.

I have tried burning at 8x, sometimes 12x for the +R (it doesn’t support 12x for the -R) Still, a coaster will reliably be made

I changed media thinking variety would help. From the cheap RitekF16 in the Maxell tubs, to the expensive Verbatim printable MCC004, it will make a coaster. ProdicsF2, CMC Mag M01, Sony D21, Sony16D1… coaster will still be made.
Problem is, the software won’t tell me the burn failed. I will discover it when trying to read the disc. Worse, only a few are coasters, hidden among the rest.

I have already given up, I am replacing it with a Samsung SH-S203N. I will sell the LG to offset the cost of the Samsung. Thanks for the advice anyways.

Alex

“more in a burning session of 10-15”

Are you trying to burn 10-15 disks one after the other? The most I do is 4 and then give things time to cool down, maybe 10 or 15 minutes, and then burn a few more disks. I’m not saying that this is your problem, but one never knows.