Reliability of Media Code Info

When I checked my package of TDK DVD+R disks with DVD Identifier and DVDInfo I got different results. DVD Identifier ID’d the disks as CMC MAG EO1 and DVDInfo ID’d them as YUDEN000TO2.

I’m relatively new at this, but after reading the forums for a few months I know enough that CMC Mag are supposedly junk and TY are supposedly excellent.

Which results am I to believe?

Try it with nero or use DVD Decrypter to tell you what kind it is. I only use nero cd-speed and dvd decrypter sometimes for what reason I have none.

Very interesting, as both codes are used by TDK. Are your results on the same disc?

Get the latest version of CDSpeed and use disc info, look for the ATIP info.

Also where are those discs made ? Does it say Made in Taiwan or Japan?

Most of the TDKs sold in spindles or quantity at your costco/bestbuy etc… are CMC, branded TYs are rare these days at least in retail stores.

For 8x TDK +R media, most of the time they use CMC MAG E01. Some are MBIP, there are also RICOHJPNR02, TDK002 and the less common YUDEN000T02.

Use CDSpeed or DVDInfoPro

Disk is from the same spindle. Hub code: PAH6541122142340CO
DVD Decrypter ID’d as CMC MAG and Nero couldn’t ID it.

Looks like a CMC serial.

Q.

Very interresting. May I ask what drive you used ?
Definately CMC and I’m not suprised of DVD identifier reporting it correct.
DVD identifier main priority is identifying unlike the competition were identifying is a added feature. For this reason the succes ratio with smaller manufacturers is unmatched.

Also this is the third case known to me were someone says that DVD info wrongfully reports a code.

I do use DVD info and CD speed for testing.

[QUOTE=dakhaas]Very interresting. May I ask what drive you used ?

I have an LG DVD GWA-4166B - came in my new HP desktop. This drive is the same as the GSA-166B. Love the drive. Previously had an external I/O Magic.

GSA models support DVD-RAM. GWA ones don’t. If your drive doesn’t support DVD-RAM then it isn’t the same as a GSA 4166B.

GSA models support DVD-RAM. GWA ones don’t. If your drive doesn’t support DVD-RAM then it isn’t the same as a GSA 4166B.[/QUOTE]

Read somewhere else where the two drives were the same but I stand corrected. You are correct. Mine doesn’t support DVD-RAM. Appreciate the clarification.