RElationship between bitrate, file size and original VOB file sizes

vbimport

HI All, …

great forum, and excellent DVDFab program…

Prolly a stoopid newb questions but I haven’t been able to find the answers:

1. Using DVDFab, …selecting Generic to rip and store my movies on my PCH Media Tank in AVI format, … initially the movies were going in at bitrates that made the file sizes about 720MB, … but I’m finding that produces too many compression artifacts on my 60" Sony 1080 TV, … so, after reading what another poster said, … I began upping the Bitrates to 1500 in the configure menu, which produces a much nicer display. My question is, … what’s the relationship between bitrates and the original VOB file? ie how high do I have to set the bitrate to duplicate the original movie? (mybe there isn’t a relationship, but I don’t know) …
    Maybe a better question would be What is teh bitrate of the original VOB file?

2. Also in the config menu, … I see the resolution section… and if I rip a fullscreen movie, … it selects 640 x 480 (ie 480 lines of resolution on a SD DVD)… which seems correct. Now, for a widescreen movie like “7th Voyage of Sinbad” the movie is widescreen at 1.85:1 … How do I calculate what the correct resolution should be? … in the configure section of DVDFab.

thanks again for a reat forum, … I’m still googling for these answers, but if someone could help out or point me in the right direction, I sure would appreciate it.

Allen

Here’s a little reading:

The bitrate of the original VOB can range from say 1mb to around 8mb.

As the XVid codec used in a lot of the generic profiles is far more efficient than the old MPEG2 codec (Used by original VOB’s), you do not need to go that high.

I find 1100 is a good start point and go higher to 1500 for movies with a lot fast action.

THe new version of Fab should crop and autosize correctly without you having to set anything.

Thank you! Much appreciated, … I’ll use 1100-1500 and see how that does,

Allen

Hi,

I have an mvx media player and I have been converting my movies into AVI for my library.

I have been using 200 bits/pixels and the first audio stream.

Now we played Apocalypse now and the sound was awful.

We went into the Media player settings and messed with the settings until it sounded good but we needed the Kenwood amp turned up to hear it.

What are the optimum settings to get good quality AVI’s ?

Thanks all.

Try a different profile. Choose whatever screen size you need and set the video bitrate slider for 0.4 bits/pixel as shown on the Configure screen. I use a profile with H.264 video and MP3 audio with excellent results, even when viewing on TV or full screen on PC. DTS audio streams on the original sometimes cause problems; choose AC3/5.1 or AC3/2 if the disc has several choices. If the audio is too low, increase the volume setting to around 200 and run a test.[quote=maid;2035389]Hi,

I have an mvx media player and I have been converting my movies into AVI for my library.

I have been using 200 bits/pixels and the first audio stream.

Now we played Apocalypse now and the sound was awful.

We went into the Media player settings and messed with the settings until it sounded good but we needed the Kenwood amp turned up to hear it.

What are the optimum settings to get good quality AVI’s ?

Thanks all.[/quote]

Hi,
thank you for your reply.

I cant use H264 my media player does not play it and the volume cant be changed when you choose generic.

Isnt 0.4 bits rather high they suggest in this forum 1500 which comes out at around 0.2 bits.

Cheers

It is a little high, you’re right, but it plays fine on my Archos and on my PC using VLC media player and looks amazing. I am not familiar with your player so I’m afraid I can’t be of much help there. The volume CAN be changed with some Generic profiles. Look for ones that use MP3 audio if your player supports it (most do). Hope you find a combination that works for you.

[quote=maid;2035492]Hi,
thank you for your reply.

I cant use H264 my media player does not play it and the volume cant be changed when you choose generic.

Isnt 0.4 bits rather high they suggest in this forum 1500 which comes out at around 0.2 bits.

Cheers[/quote]

Hi, does the mp3 play 5.1 surround? sorry i am a noob but my media player settings for the audio are passthrough and downmix and I am not sure which it should be set on to get the correct sound.

Cheers

[quote=maid;2035547]Hi, does the mp3 play 5.1 surround? sorry i am a noob but my media player settings for the audio are passthrough and downmix and I am not sure which it should be set on to get the correct sound.

Cheers[/quote]If your media player has two speakers or two audio output jacks then it won’t reproduce 5.1 audio anyway–your are just as well off with MP3 (which DVDFab downmixes to 2 channels from 5.1). If you set the MP3 audio bitrate to 192 kbps you will not be able to hear the difference and the AVI output files will be much smaller. I know some of these issues are frustrating for new users but you will learn more as you use DVDFab and the result will be more control over your media than most people can even imagine.