Registry entry for "SecuROM"?

vbimport

I am puzzled as to why there is a registry entry for SecuROM in HKEY_CURRENT_USER >> Software >> SecuROM. Can you guys check if you have that registry entry as well? What is it for?

i dont have any games with securom installed at the moment. what does the registry info contain? i can check with another board, thats more about reverse engineering their stuff, to find what its doing.

Under the HKEY_CURRENT_USER >> SOFTWARE >> SecuROM key, it goes further to >> Keys >> 3B2D5E4F >> 0001

Only the last ‘folder’ has info in it, in this case: registry keys, BinData, SecData1 and SecData2 (all of type REG_BINARY) Part of what BinData contains, for example, looks like that of a file in hexadecimal format.

Come to think of it, IIRC someone posted that those keys contain info that is used by the SecuROM protection to check the physical characteristics of the CD media in the drive.

Hmmm…what happens if I modify those values to that of a normal CD without any unusual media characteristics like a SecuROM protected CD.

(Moderator note: Is that considered cracking? If it is, sorry, you can edit out that part :confused: )

What if you back them up (export from the registry) and then delete the entry. And then you try any SecuROM game you have lying around. That should reveal if it’s information used to validate the protection.

It does have something to do with the protection (securom 4.8x) but exactly what I’m not sure. There may be more info on point in the hi tech forum.

In any case, you can delete them from the registry quite safely. The first time you play a securom 4.8x protected game after deleting them, they’ll be back again. :wink:

safedisc loads virtual drivers before it plays, now. they come back too.

//back on topic

its only cracking if you can find a consistent variation that enables everyone to adjust for their copies. at least, thats my view :wink: