Region Free Player balks @ Region B Blu-ray disck

UPDATE: SOLVED!

I hunted around for the player’s instructions, and amazingly found them under a pile of DVDs. It turns out that Blu-ray regions must be selected manually using colored buttons on the remote.

I tried to delete my original post, but got an error saying I’m not authorized to do that, so here’s the text of the original message I posted an hour or so ago:

A few years ago I bought a Sony BDP-S3700 Blu-ray Disc/DVD Player which had been modified to be “Region Free.”

A bright green label stuck onto the box claimed:

Play any Standard DVD Region
0, 1, 2 ,3 ,4 ,5 ,6 ,7 ,8
Play any Blu-ray DISC A, B, & C

So far it’s played imported DVDs without any problems.

But this month I bought a Blu-ray disc from England, and when I try to play it I get this error message on the TV screen:

THIS BLU-RAY DISC WILL PLAY BACK ON REGION B PLAYERS ONLY

I’d be grateful for any ideas on how to troubleshoot this problem

Will in Seattle
a.k.a. “Clueless”

So, did this work for you?
https://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks/sony-bdp-s3700/12695

Hi chef!

Thanks for that link. I’m afraid I didn’t understand the instructions posted there, though.

However, not to worry. I found the solution. See my edit to my original post:

UPDATE: SOLVED!

I hunted around for the player’s instructions, and amazingly found them under a pile of DVDs. It turns out that Blu-ray regions must be selected manually using colored buttons on the remote.

DUH!

Nice!

Does that mean you have no region restrictions anymore even for DVD and Blu-Ray??

As far as I can tell, yes. :grinning:

I haven’t bought that many imported DVDs, and this is the first imported Blu-ray disc I’ve tried to play. But the few imported DVDs I’ve purchased so far, have all played ok.

The player automatically plays DVDs from regions 0-8.

But, for Blu-ray discs, you have to have the disc tray in the open position and then press one of three colored buttons, to select region A, B, or C. The selection buttons won’t work if the tray is in the closed position. The buttons are labeled, but the labels aren’t all that helpful:

The yellow button is labeled “YELLOW,” the blue button is labeled “BLUE,” and the red button is… yup! you guessed it! … labeled “RED.” (I suppose the labels are intended for folks who are color blind?).

Anyway, not only did I get the little sucker to work, but I also found the instructions after all these years of flying blind.

Will in Seattle
a.k.a. “Clueless”

P.S. I bought the player at what used to be the greatest video store in the world:

http://blog.scarecrow.com/about-us-3/

That’s great, even greater for Blu-Ray Discs!!!

I’m really happy that this regioning restrictions are now a thing of the past with UltraHD Blu-Ray Discs. :clapping::biggrin: