Region-free DVD-ROM drives

Hello!
I have heard a lot about this region-free dvd-roms.
I recently bought a Liteon LTD163D. I noticed the region questions. I found out it was not region-free at all. I wanted to return it. But looking around the internet, I found out since my drive was made may 2002, it was “forced” to have region checking. (2000 DVD consortium blah!)

Is there a DVD-ROM drive maker that produces drives today that is region-free?

Thanks in advance.

Well, there are no current region free DVD-ROM’s made, since the CCA (think that’s the right one) wouldn’t allow it. Of course, there are many region free firmware hacks. You should try one of them.

Thanks for the info.
So do you think I got a good buy with my Liteon 163D?
I can still return it to the store if someone can suggest a better one.

I found out that I only need to apply a utility on this drive and not a firmware. Which is better I think. So at least I won’t be tinkering with the firmware.

Thanks again.

Fritz … the 163D is a very good drive, I have recently bought one myself (although I though I was buying a different model, but thats a different story and a different thread :wink: )

Anyway, the 163D can be made region free with the hack available from this site

Above link was courtesy of xmansean … Thanks again for that mate

Thanks. I did the instructions and opinions given by you and folks here.

I am now a happy owner of a Liteon LTD163D region-free drive.

Thank you so much.

BTW, some people said this is not the only thing I have to do since my bundled PowerDVD also does region checking. How do I fix this?

Thanks again!!!

BTW, some people said this is not the only thing I have to do since my bundled PowerDVD also does region checking. How do I fix this?

That ones easy … Get DVD Genie, an excellent little program, you can get it Here

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

And if you have a Hollywood+ pci card in your system you also have to make that region free.

You DO know that making the stuff region free voids the warranty i hope ?

Yes.
The good thing about this is my store supports me and gives me their “protection” with the warranty. :smiley:

They even told me I can flash the firmware myself and if things will not work properly I can just return the drive and they will give me a new one.

Good thing what I got was LTD163D which only needed a switch configuration. I didn’t have to flash the firmware.

Gentlmenm:
Try ASUS or go to the www.cdrinfo.com for hardware, it will clear everything.