Region code

vbimport

purchase a Sony Optiarc AD-7240S-0B burner from Newegg in Canada, tried to play my dvd and couldn’t. turns out the region code was not set. Using my Nero tools, it shows that the dvd burner has RPC 2 setting and no region code. Is it normal to have dvd burners sold without the region code set. I don;t recalled having to set the region code on my previous three dvd burners.:confused:

I’ve always had to set the region code on every burner/player I’ve ever bought
as a matter of fact I just installed my replacment 7240S and just now set the
region code on it. :iagree:

Hi,

it is perfectly normal that a new drive comes with no region set.
Just consider the situation you live in the US and get a drive with region set to Europe. :doh: That would cause wasting one of the total 5 region changes you are allowed to.

Apart from that, not all DVD software players request a region change. :cool:
And there is Liggy’s nice Autoreset firmware :smiley:

Michael

thanks for the info, reason for the confusion is that on my brother;s computer with the same 7240s writer, he did not need to set the region code in order to play dvds. checked his region code settings and it matches mine. by the way, does using the auto-reset region code fix help me conserve my allotment of region code changes?

Hi,[QUOTE=prim8e;2504288]thanks for the info, reason for the confusion is that on my brother;s computer with the same 7240s writer, he did not need to set the region code in order to play dvds. [/quote]That’s a matter of the playback software used. Some players request a manual region change, some others don’t. And some don’t mind at all :slight_smile:

by the way, does using the auto-reset region code fix help me conserve my allotment of region code changes?
I guess, yes. There is also a RPC1 firmware available. http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/en/Optiarc-AD-7240S/

Michael