Region code sh-s203n stuck on region 2

How do you change the region code to region 1.

The drive states I have 3 changes left, but it will not let me change from region 2 to region 1, which is where it needs to be in order for my DVD’s to play.

I’ve searched through the threads that mentioned region, but haven’t seen an answer to this model number.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

[QUOTE=ozias21;2010451]How do you change the region code to region 1.

The drive states I have 3 changes left, but it will not let me change from region 2 to region 1, which is where it needs to be in order for my DVD’s to play.

I’ve searched through the threads that mentioned region, but haven’t seen an answer to this model number.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

OK here is what you do:

Download MCSE:

http://ala42.cdfreaks.com/MCSE/MediaCodeSpeedEdit.zip

Now download FR/FB SB203 patched firmware :

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f105/samsung-s202x-s203x-s204x-fast-burn-fast-read-patched-firmware-228687/

Be sure the bin used is the FR/FB and not just one or just the other there are 3 bin files. :slight_smile:

Now unzip MCSE and open it then load that bin file in that. Now before you flash you need to put a checkmark in the RPC1 box. Now you then if I read right need to use the bin made on MCSE and open sfdnwin.exe to load that bin made. Read this carefully and see if I read right but I think I am. Allot to go through but will pay off in the end.

More info :
MediaCodeSpeedEdit tool for DVD-Writers

Just an addition:
The official firmwares from Samsung can also be patched that way.

And even more in addition, (not recommended for unexperienced members though).
Latest LTNFlash can also be used to make Sammy 20* drives regionfree. :flower:
But please don’t post and cry if/when you’r not able to go back to your own region.

Best at all, don’t experiment with region(-free) changes on latest Sammy’s because you might get stuck within a region, not being able to turn back to you desired region at all. Don’t ask, I know because I’ve learned this the hard way though…

Hi,

it would be nice if you could provide some more detailled information:)
Couldn’t this be also a new “feature” of Vista instead of a matter of hardware/firmware?

Michael

Thanks for the reply.

I used the other MCSE bin file earlier SH-S203N_SB01.RPC1, from the MCSE thread, after some reading.

Is there any difference with the bin file you mentioned?
S203N.SB01.patched-fb-fr

It seems that the one you mentioned has the faster read/write, and other than that will work like the first one I used.

I don’t mind flashing the burner once more, so if the one you mentioned offers more, I’ll gladly flash to it.

So, I went out and bought Stargate: The ark of Truth, but unfortunately my drive was stuck at Region 2. I think it came that way. The above instructions worked, thanks. But they were a little cryptic and cluttered, so to clarify.

This is what I did:
You need the MCSE program, the bin file, and sfdnwin.exe. Open the bin file with MCSE. Select the “RPC1 patch” box. Save the file. Open the file that you just saved with sfdnwin.exe. Flash it. Restart.

My drive is now region free. So that means Windows Media Player in Vista will not play Region 1 disks, but PowerDVD will.

Thanks again for the help. I was getting really frustrated.

[QUOTE=niapfoeert;2017667]
[B]My drive is now region free.[/B] So that means Windows Media Player in Vista will not play Region 1 disks, but PowerDVD will.

Thanks again for the help. I was getting really frustrated.[/QUOTE]

Drive counter has nothing to do with the software/OS counter.