Region Code problems

I am having trouble playing and recording DVDs since downloading DVD FAB onto my new computer.

I noticed the DVD was region free and then after I loaded the software it switched to Region 2 (United Kingdom). Was this supposed to happen? I can’t get my region code to change. I even tried doing a system a system recovery and I still can’t change the region code to region 1

Any help

[QUOTE=Mr B Rules;2199654]I am having trouble playing and recording DVDs since downloading DVD FAB onto my new computer.

I noticed the DVD was region free and then after I loaded the software it switched to Region 2 (United Kingdom). Was this supposed to happen? I can’t get my region code to change. I even tried doing a system a system recovery and I still can’t change the region code to region 1

Any help[/QUOTE]

OK… I’ll take these one at a time…

First, DVDFab doesn’t change the region your drive is set at. That is a whole different process. (System restore won’t do it, either).

Secondly…what are you looking at that makes you think the region code has been changed?

Please advise.

O’C

:slight_smile:

I am looking at the Device manager and at my DVD playback

[QUOTE=Mr B Rules;2199704]I am looking at the Device manager and at my DVD playback[/QUOTE]

Fair enough… what does the Device manager say about your current region code, and what does it say about the number of changes you have left?

O’C

It states the current region is region 2. When I try to change the current region it errors out. States be sure you are administrator (mute point), and to be sure I am using Region 1 dvds ( tried several).

It says 3 remain, however I don’t recall selecting the 1st 2

[QUOTE=Mr B Rules;2199731]It states the current region is region 2. When I try to change the current region it errors out. States be sure you are administrator (mute point), and to be sure I am using Region 1 dvds ( tried several).

It says 3 remain, however I don’t recall selecting the 1st 2[/QUOTE]

I have never changed the region code of my drive, and I am showing 4 changes left on mine. . When you bought the drive in question, was it new or used?

I’m also not thrilled to hear you are erroring out when you try to change the drive’s code…

The reason I say it’s not DVDFab is quite simple. Yours is the first complaint of this nature (that I have seen). If it was a regular occurrance, there would have been more postings about that problem.

It might be instructive if you were to change the firmware in your drive. The manufacturer’s website should have an update to that coding. It might even reset your drive back to region 1, and not necessitate a further check in Device Mgr. to see if it can be changed.

It also might not do anything at all, but at least your firmware will be current.

Please try it and let us know.

O’C

It’s two weeks out the box. I notified HP about the problem, and they can’t do anything either. It says the driver is up to date, and when I try to load the latest driver it errors out.

Who knows!!! I may have to replace the DVD. I have invested 4 evenings and half a saturday on this. A total of 18 hrs

[QUOTE=Mr B Rules;2199769]It’s two weeks out the box. I notified HP about the problem, and they can’t do anything either. It says the driver is up to date, and when I try to load the latest driver it errors out.

Who knows!!! I may have to replace the DVD. I have invested 4 evenings and half a saturday on this. A total of 18 hrs[/QUOTE]

Agreed!! Much of this depends on how much time you’re willing to devote to fix the problem before you just throw your hands up and say “Get me a new DRIVE!!”

I’d yell a bit at HP and take the drive back as ‘defective’, and see what surprises a new drive has in store for you.

O’C

:clap::slight_smile: