REGION CODE and REGION CONTROL SETTINGS

Hi all
hope someone can help on this
I know what the Region Code is and what it used for “BUT”
What is the Region Control ? and what should it be if the region code is 1

I have an HP DVD Writer 740i and a HP DVD writer 740e, both region code set at 1
and the region control is : RPC II

does anyone know if the region control is correct ? region 1
and if not how to change it

Thanks Tim

Region = The world is devided into six regions (and international waters, air and stuff like that). DVD movies are region stamped so that you cannot play American dvd movies (region 1) in your European dvd players (region 2)

Region control = to check if the region of your disc matches the region of your dvd player. If it doesn’t and you still are allowed to change it, you may change it to the correct region.

RPC = region protection schematic. RPC 1 = no region added = region free. RPC 2 = region added in the device. You may set a region up to four times. After that the last chosen region is fixed in the device

The fun thing is that most RPC schematics are not in hardware (chips and transistors) but in bios eeproms. This is actually software, or rather called, firmware. And firmware can be hacked, reversed engineered, updated and changes. You can check www.rpc1.org if such a firmware has been made for your device.

These hacked firmwares can do several things which may or may not include

• RPC2 to RPC1
  • Resetting region change count everytime the device is started (So you can change the region four times every reboot!)
  • Setting the region code to region 0, so it will play any dvd
  • Add bitsetting for DVD+R’s
  • Remove the extraction limit. This may speed up copying entire dvd’s
  • Remove the CSS copy protection on the fly (probably only old siemens)

Unfortunately there are several checks for the region

• The Operating System checks
  • The device itself checks
  • The playback software checks

They all have their own region code schematic and may or may not playback region free, hacked, cracked or other region discs.

Thanks Mr Belvedere

Boy heavy stuff :doh:
OK so if the region code is 1 then the region control should be RPC 1 :confused:
right or wrong

Tim

wrong :bigsmile:

region 1 is for the US & where ever, RPC 2 is for a dvd-rom/RW drive that has official firmware that has region set the drive to your region (mines being region 2 UK)

RPC 1 is region free through some sort of region hack, like a hacked firmware for your dvd-rom/RW drive.
so you can have

Region 2 RPC 1 (hacked)
Region 2 RPC 2 (official)
Region 1 RPC 1 (hacked)
Region 1 RPC 2 (official)
and so on

heres a list of the region areas

REGION 1 – USA, Canada
REGION 2 – Japan, Europe, South Africa, Middle East, Greenland
REGION 3 – S.Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Parts of South East Asia
REGION 4 – Australia, New Zealand, Latin America (including Mexico)
REGION 5 – Eastern Europe, Russia, India, Africa
REGION 6 – China
REGION 7 – Reserved for Unspecified Special Use
REGION 8 – Resevered for Cruise Ships, Airlines, etc…
REGION 0 or REGION ALL – Discs are uncoded and can be played Worldwide, however, PAL discs must be played in a PAL-compatible unit and NTSC discs must be played in an NTSC-compatible unit.

Thanks BJ

I understood what you was telling me :bow:
some members are better at getting to the point :clap:

Tim :bigsmile: