Region code 1 DVDs that won't play on Multi-region DVD players

I hope some one can help me…

I just bought a load of region code 1 DVDs - half of them play on my multi-region DVD player but the rest won’t! I checked out the web & tried the trick of playing another region code 1 DVD first before playing the “bad” ones - no joy.

I have 2 DVD players so I got the hack code for (multi-region) the second one but that won’t play the DVDs either!

Are there hack codes to make a DVD player region code 1? (I can’t find them). If there are my DVD players are:
Teac DV-3170
Phillips DVP 532K/75

Otherwise what do I do to play these DVDs on my TV screen?

There are two issues with DVD’s. First is the region coding, which some players can be “hacked” to disable. The second is the video format, which is NTSC or PAL.

While removing the region code restriction will allow a player to read any disc, it doesn’t mean the player can read/play both video formats.

Ensure the video output of the player is set to the proper format for your TV (ie: NTSC or PAL), do NOT use AUTO.

Aside from that, what error or you getting?

Thank you for your reply…

Both DVD players say “wrong region” & do not permit any access to the DVDs.

Changing the NTSC/ PAL/ Multi settings didn’t do anything - I still got the “wrong region” message (could only change the settings on the Phillips DVD player).

(the DVDs do work because I can access the DVDs on my computer using the program “DVD43” - but that’s not where I want to watch them)

Thank you for your reply…

Both DVD players say “wrong region” & do not permit any access to the DVDs.

Changing the NTSC/ PAL/ Multi settings didn’t do anything - I still got the “wrong region” message (could only change the settings on the Phillips DVD player).

(the DVDs do work because I can access the DVDs on my computer using the program “DVD43” - but that’s not where I want to watch them)

Sounds like the players are not multiregion, some dvds although not very many are region 0 so they will play on anything or if the players are multiregion already maybe the dvds have RCE on them which is a region encoding enhancement and the players can’t cope with it.

Any way here are some hacks.

Region hack for the Teac

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks/teac-dv-3150/5317

Region hack for the philips

http://www.dvdcodes.net/newCodesAZ/codesP/Philips/PhilipsDVD532K.php

Thank you for your help. Unfortunately I had already discovered the first site & unlocked the Teac player (& the Phillips was a multi-region to start with).

As I can play some of the region 1 DVDs I guessed that the others must have something extra added to stop multi-region players from playing them
(I searched the net & I tried the trick of playing a region 1 DVD that did work before loading the ones that don’t, without any luck).

So I wanted to make one of my DVD players a dedicated region 1 player (in the hope that would do the trick) but I don’t know of any hack sites that will do that.

Maybe no such site exists. Does anyone have any other bright ideas?

(or do I have to buy yet another DVD player?)

Why not just re-burn the DVD’s as “region free” using DVD43 or something similar? :slight_smile:

Or will that not solve your problem?

Does anyone have any other bright ideas?

A statement like that has rather negative connotations.

Ooops! sorry nothing negative meant in the previous comment, just a figure of speech I tend to use - I’m grateful for any ideas as I’m not really experienced in this area.

The idea of copying the discs sounds good though but I’ve never burnt DVDs before.

A quick net search (& a few downloads) point to a couple of potential problems - most of the DVDs are serials (sets of 5 to 7 DVDs with 5 episodes or more on each DVD) & the information (bytes) is more than a “normal” DVD can deal with (the DVD 9 vs 5 “problem” if I’m understanding all of this stuff correctly) …so I’d end up burning loads of DVDs(?)

Anyway as I said I’ve only done a quick search (& have not fully checked out this site either re burning DVDs) so will do more searching now - any more ideas/ information greatly appreciated.

Well for what’s it worth in my early days of unlocking my player (a Sampo), to region free and PAL capable (here in the USA) I had an interesting problem. If I set the region code to 0 there were quite a few Region 1 DVDs that would not play, only a region map would pop up on the screen. I’d have to set it to back Region 1. This was simple in the Sampo as it had a loophole menu.

Philips players are typically pretty easy to hack without any issues…at least the region 1 players and usually the region 2 players as well.

The only other thing that comes to mind would be to see if there is a firmware update for the player.

Aside from that, time for a player that officially supports region free.