REGEDIT Bug?

vbimport

I seems to have a bug when importing some REG files.
The problem is that when I try to import a REG file which changes the default value to DWORD, the import won't work... Registry say that it has been imported, but actually default isn't changed at all... I'm using Win98 SE BTW.
To test what happened:
1.) Open IE6
2.) Click Tools, Internet Options
3.) Privacy,Edit
4.) Type in regedit.bug, then click block.
5.) Click OK twice to exit Internet options.
6.) Start Registry Editor (regedit.exe) by clicking start, run.
7.) Make your self to this registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\P3P\History
8.) Click on regedit.bug folder, then click Registry, Export registry file.
9.) Save the file to desktop called BugTest.reg
10.) Delete the key regedit.bug located in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\P3P\History
11.) Merge back the registry file (BugTest.reg), and click F5 on registry editor to refresh the view.
12.) The BUG appears that the DWORDED default is gone...

I notice that some 3rd party editor can import this file correctly...
I tried using Registry Pro (Mcafee) and it seems that the import is fine...
Anybody have any suggestions?

I always believed that registry updates and imports are only activated correctly when the registry table is reloaded. This usually happens after a reboot.

That’s also what I tried…
I added an entrie on importing the registry file on startup, used AUTOEXEC.BAT, but it seems it didn’t work :a

I don’t really understand what you’re trying to do (I don’t have IE6 and I use Opera almost exclusively for browsing the Internet) but I can tell you RegEdit is nothing compared to Registry Genie, an applet that came with the old Cleansweep versions and that I have successfully extracted from an old install and still use to this day. Actually it only needs 5 files in the same directory to function so it’s easy to transport and setup. I still can’t figure why Norton removed it from Cleansweep after it bought it from Quarterdeck. Their Registry utility is such a piece of $h1t compared to the Registry Genie. It’s the first thing I install on our computers after Windows and Norton File Manager (another great app that Norton abandonned!). You can do it all with the Genie. Without it I feel like a mechanic without wrenches.

Just thought I’d let you know. My condolences, just chuck RegEdit!

Well, the reason why I posted this here is that I wanted to create an REG file which no one will have problems importing, but a lot of users currently use REGEDIT to import REG files, so that might be a problem :a

I still don’t see the problem: the REG file is a simple text file with a first line starting with REGEDIT4 or something like that (depends on you version of windows) and double clicking it simply imports it automatically in the Registry.

Assumuing you do not already have a key named “TEST” directly under your LOCAL_MACHINE branch, try this in Notepad:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\TEST]
“TEST_ DWORD”=dword:00000f0f

Save it as TEST.REG

Now Double-click it. Go into your registry app and seach for the Key Name TEST. It’s in there!

To remove it, make another simple text file in Notepad:

REGEDIT4

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\TEST]

and save it as Remove Test.reg. Double click that. The TEST key has been removed!

Am I helping or am I way off the track here?!

Originally posted by 83bj60
[B]I don’t really understand what you’re trying to do (I don’t have IE6 and I use Opera almost exclusively for browsing the Internet) but I can tell you RegEdit is nothing compared to Registry Genie, an applet that came with the old Cleansweep versions and that I have successfully extracted from an old install and still use to this day. Actually it only needs 5 files in the same directory to function so it’s easy to transport and setup. I still can’t figure why Norton removed it from Cleansweep after it bought it from Quarterdeck. Their Registry utility is such a piece of $h1t compared to the Registry Genie. It’s the first thing I install on our computers after Windows and Norton File Manager (another great app that Norton abandonned!). You can do it all with the Genie. Without it I feel like a mechanic without wrenches.

Just thought I’d let you know. My condolences, just chuck RegEdit! [/B]

Which files are needed, 83bj60? I used to use it when I had the old cleansweep on my system and I agree that it was a superb applet (leaves regedit for dead).:bow:

Sorry, but I think you are misunderstanding my point…
My point is not that REGEDIT cannot create DWORD entries, and also I know about that I can create and import REG file by double-clicking it…
But I am telling people that REGEDIT have a bug that if you have a Registry file (.reg) that modifies anyone of the default keys, the default won’t change…
But with some power registry editor, the registry file can be improted correctly.

Here’s a test that I made:

Sample Registry Test File:
http://www.micromaniacs.net/softwareguy/REGTest/TestReg.reg

Bug Testing Batch File:
http://www.micromaniacs.net/softwareguy/REGTest/Test.bat

Uninstaller Batch File:
http://www.micromaniacs.net/softwareguy/REGTest/Uninstall.bat

Here’s how to use the test, first save all three files to a folder, double click TestReg.reg to merge it into the registry, then open Test.bat and your results will appear, after that you can then Uninstall this test by opening the Uninstall.bat file :wink:
Remember to post your results here…
Thanks people! :cop:

Originally posted by softwareguy
Sorry, but I think you are misunderstanding my point…
<SNIP> … some power registry editor, the registry file can be improted correctly.

True as you first stated.

I think it not as much a bug as an actual irritant. It’s just M$'s usual way of forcing its way upon users and interfering in their work :frowning:

Originally posted by philamber

Which files are needed, 83bj60? I used to use it when I had the old cleansweep on my system and I agree that it was a superb applet (leaves regedit for dead).:bow:

It consists of the following files: regenie.exe, .dll, .mdb, .hlp and .cnt.

Put it all in a single directory and you should be set. The first time the program is run you will get a ‘Jet Database Error’ but upon restarting it will work fine.

I must add that I have Norton System Works 2001 installed. If it does not work on your machine, let me know as it may reference some DLLS that are installed by NSW.

Many thanks.:bow: :bow: :bow: