Regarding BenQ DW1670

vbimport

I just want to know what is the correct DMA setting that is supposed to show - is it Ultra DMA Mode 2 or higher? ( Mode 4 or something)

What is the difference anyway?

DW1670 (and also the very same drive Sony 820A) are UDMA-4 mode capable. This can be of importance if you plan to put the drive in external enclosure.

BTW, take a look at DW1670 preview, sticky thread at top of this forum’s page. :wink:

I read the preview and the thread, and since I am not a ‘DVD Freak :D’, I normally don’t understand much except for the features and quality.

Thank you for answering my thread, but can someone explain more on ‘importance if you plan to put the drive in external enclosure’

In order to achieve 12X or faster write/burn speeds when installing the 1670 (an internal drive) into an external enclosure like a USB2 or a 1394/Fiewire external enclosure, you would prefer to have maximum data transimission speed. DMA 4 is faster than DMA 2.
Theoretically in order to achieve a 16X burn in an external enclosure you would need to have a 23/24MB burst rate from your DVD drive. DMA 4 gets you close to or exceeds this burst rate. This also eliminates USB2 connections.
Quite frankly, quality burns should be what you are looking for, not the fastest. Most 16X media (from my experience) burns better at 12X burn speeds.
The 1670 has the panasonic chip set so you currently (with existing OEM firmware) have either 16X, 8X or less burn speeds available in the drive.
It “does not” have a 12X burn speed available/selectable for any media.
The Sony DRU 820 firmware seems to burn certain media a little better than the OEM rebadged 1670 firmware.
Original BenQ DW-1670 Firmware (not released for public as of yet) appears to be much better but none of us in the USA with a rebadged 1670 have experienced this yet. The rebadged 1670 may be crossflashed using MCSE.
Original/authentic BenQ DW-1670 drives are available in parts of asia.
Hope this is helpful

Thanks dishinit taking your time explaining this. :clap:
I posted from work and doesn’t always have the time to explain all details. Furthermore I’m of opinion members should use search more frequently. That’s the way we learn most. :wink:

The 1670 has the panasonic chip set so you currently (with existing OEM firmware) have either 16X, 8X or less burn speeds available in the drive.
It “does not” have a 12X burn speed available/selectable for any media.
ala42’s MCSE changed that. When you disable 16x burn speed with MCSE, 12x will be selectable. Thanks ala42. :clap:

The Sony DRU 820 firmware seems to burn certain media a little better than the OEM rebadged 1670 firmware.
We haven’t seen that many burns/scans posted yet, so it’s a little premature to make any judgement.
BTW, I think the very same people made firmwares for DW1670 and all its clones. (No idea what will happen now that Lite-On runs BenQ ODD though.)

The problem is that you can not use MCSE without a f/w file to flash with (at least as far as I know - if there is a way, someone please tell me how). As far as I could find, through all my searches, there is no native DW1670 f/w available, nor any for the I/O Magic rebadged DW1670 I bought. I crossflashed to the Sony f/w to have the ability to use MCSE to change from 16x to 12x for certain discs. In that way, I would say the Sony f/w burns better :wink:

Believe me, once I can get official DW1670 f/w, I will be playing to see which does the better job (I’d even take the original I/O oem f/w if I could find it to compare)

I have BenQ 1670 (io magic rebadged) @ Sony 820 version 1.0b fw, something that I am not so proud of. I am waiting for better firmware and for the time being, it is being shelfed.

I had the I/O Magic rebadge for 1 day from Staples on sale, even for 39.99 I didn’t want it, it was terrible, no quality scanning, no 12X write speeds, it was everything I did not want in a burner plus it was slow as molasses.

Interesting statement. :slight_smile:
Sorry to say, but playing with words and insinuating Sony 1.0b is anything else then a BenQ firmware…c’mon.
Remember, Sony 820A is a OEM DW1670, and the same goes for I/O Magic drive.

Even if for now only available firmware is announced at Sony homepage this doesn’t mean it’s “Sony’s” firmware per se.
Why? Simply because we know the first “native” firmware for DW1670 is…, guess what, v.[B]1.0[/B]. :wink: