Reformatting Region 2 DVDs to Region free

I have the complete DVD set of Twin Peaks from Spain, but all 8 DVDs are region 2. I want to be able to rip them and then burn them as Region free DVD copies on my Pioneer A05 so I can watch them on my home DVD player.

Alright, I must be completely clueless here, so please be patient with me. I have AnyDVD downloaded on my computer and thought that that program would strip the region coding off of the original DVD and allow me to burn a region free copy using my DVD X Copy program. No luck. Then I downloaded DVD Decrypter. I inserted my Twin Peaks Region 2 PAL DVD into my Pioneer A05 DVD writer drive. I ran DVD Decryptor and the program completed the decryption process. Okay, Now what am I supposed to do to burn a copy of the Region 2 DVD so that it will be Region free or at least will play on my stand alone living room Pioneer Region 1 DVD player?

First, here is what I did, which is apparently wrong. I have DVD X Copy as my writer program, so after using DVD Decrypter on the original Region 2 Twin Peaks DVD, I ran DVD X Copy, then tried burning to a DVD-RW disc and no luck. Tried the same process again using a blank DVD-R disc from a different company. Same results–Horrible video that jumps around. The copy DVDs have the audio, but the video is terrible. So what should I do? Please help!

Can’t help you with your current SW, but DVDShrink will do this for you easy.

> I have AnyDVD downloaded on my computer and thought that that program would strip the region coding off of the original DVD and allow me to burn a region free copy using my DVD X Copy program. No luck. <

Why not? It does this nicely for me. You are using the latest and greatest version?
You have AnyDVD’s “Safe Mode” switched off?

Your original R2 from Spain is in PAL format. DVD Decrypter, etc can make it Region free but does not convert it to NTSC. Most DVD Players in the US/R1 only play NTSC and wont play PAL at all. That is your problem. The Apex players play both NTSC and PAL just fine to an NTSC TV.

To convert PAL to NTSC (not easy) check out http://www.geocities.com/xesdeeni2001/StandardsConversion/index.html and in particular point 6 - VI. PAL (Video) DVD (25i Fps) -> NTSC DVD (29.97i Fps)