Reformating and Using XP Pro 'technicality'

Alright, needing a little help here. My ‘beloved’ dell is completely botched right now and I’m fixing to wipe the hard drive and install a fresh copy of Windows XP Pro SP2, normally this wouldn’t bother me since i hadn’t changed much up until recently when i needed to replace my motherboard. I know that the WPA system on XP uses a ‘voting’ system to determine if i need to reinsert my key or not. I fear that a new motherboard and a ATI graphics card may cause enough “noes” to force me to re-input the key. Now that’s all fine and dandy but what about if my key get’s rejected? Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening?
I have made a copy of the WPA.dll and wpabaln.exe and even went into the registry to retrieve my key in case I can use that same key but I’d rather get some expert advice before I have to either make a call to Microsoft and recite numbers that a mathematician would be drawing blanks on or be running Ubuntu or some other Linux based OS

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Hi and Welcome![QUOTE=Time Bandit;2277173]My ‘beloved’ dell is completely botched right now and I’m fixing to wipe the hard drive and install a fresh copy of Windows XP Pro SP2, [/quote]You intend to use your Dell provided Windows disc for that purpose?

Now that’s all fine and dandy but what about if my key get’s rejected?
Normally, the key should work, but you may not be able to activate your copy of Windows online. You need then to activate by phone.

I have made a copy of the WPA.dll and wpabaln.exe and even went into the registry to retrieve my key in case I can use that same key
That’s useless. Dell Windows install discs have the key incorporated. And in case, this does not work, there is the key on the sticker which is located on your case. (*)
Hint: it’s not a bad idea to build an install disc with integrated SP3 :slight_smile:

I have to either make a call to Microsoft and recite numbers that a mathematician would be drawing blanks on
Well, that’s what you will be confronted with - but normally no biggie. BTDT.

Michael

(*) out of curiosity, I tried the XP Pro SP2 disc that came with my Dell laptop in a virtual machine. Installation went flawless, I did not need to enter my key. Admitted, I was requested to activate (Which I haven’t done, so I can’t tell you what happened)

Use free download of and install nLite to make the slipstreaming the CD easy, and nLite has options to include the key so you don’t have to manuualy enter it during install as well as add wanted features or omit unwanted extras.

[QUOTE=bevills1;2277656]Use free download of and install nLite to make the slipstreaming the CD easy, and nLite has options to include the key so you don’t have to manuualy enter it during install as well as add wanted features or omit unwanted extras.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, looks like it’s got some other goodies that I can use too. Thanks. [Going to use XP Home since my Pro disc isn’t wanting to cooperate.

From the read sounds like a desktop your working with. And if so you should make sure your Dell doesn’t have to much custom hardware which might make it hard to properly setup your Dell. If that is the case you will have to resort to using the Dell Restore cds. I myself like to customize the computer with my O/S to my liking. But do make sure you O/S XP pro is SP3. For my laptop, I was lucky this time I formatted the drive and found the drivers from HP and they all worked and I have a functional laptop and now it is XP pro SP3.

Unfortunately it’s SP2 but the only thing I modded was adding a ATI Radeon Graphics card and that was it so i doubt that’s going to cause much trouble. I’m currently Down Loading a SP3 iso but at this rate it’ll be 3 weeks before it’s finished.

[QUOTE=Time Bandit;2278360]I’m currently Down Loading a SP3 iso but at this rate it’ll be 3 weeks before it’s finished.[/QUOTE]Microsoft’s servers (outsourced to Akamai) are normally very fast.
The [I]only reliable and trusted source[/I] for Microsoft patches, updates and service packs is www.microsoft.com

Official XP SP3 downloads:
Windows XP SP3 (.exe) - this is better for integrating into an existing install disc.
Windows XP SP3 (.ISO)

Using other sources, especially P2P is extremely risky. The botnet owners are happy to welcome new zombies :frowning:

Michael