Reformat SSD problems

vbimport

I recently bought a GSkill 240gb SATA11 SSD. Sandforce based but not 2281. I had to reformat it, I am lost now, the computer works fine but now I have 3 partitions on the drive , two small 100mb patitions, and the main one, and I am also missing about 20gbs of space for some reason. The 240gb formatted out to 223gbs. After the install of Windows 7 Professional I only have 184 and yes thats with the windows.old folder deleted. It gets worse, when I look in the BIOS my boot drive is Windows Boot Manager, like I was dual booting the system. If I select the GSkill drive the computer wont boot. I am lost.

Alan how is the disc displayed in the disc manager on windows?
If you can see 223Gb then you probably need to re format your drive and it would be a good idea to do a secure erase first.

More info here

The 100MB partition is made during the install of windows.

This is really embarrassing, after all Wendy has taught me for this to happen is embarassing. I am really lost here, I dont think GSkill has a took for secure erase, since its Sandforce based can I use the OCZ Tool?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[QUOTE=vroom;2613178]Alan how is the disc displayed in the disc manager on windows?
If you can see 223Gb then you probably need to re format your drive and it would be a good idea to do a secure erase first.

More info here

The 100MB partition is made during the install of windows.[/QUOTE]

Will the OCZ secure erase tool work with the GSkill SSD, it is a Sandforce based SSD. I have no idea and I cant find the information anywhere.:sad:

You’ll need to delete the partitions outside of Windows, like from some other boot CD. If you want to avoid that annoying 100MB partition that Win-7 install creates, you also need to create the new partition and format outside of Windows. But of course be sure that whatever tool you use will respect proper alignment.

Well if you dont want to do a secure erase (i can understand your concerns) you can always remove every other hdd (temporarily) from your system and re install your windows from scratch, you will probably need to go into advance mode on the first steps of the install so that you can delete all the other partitions and make only one (ok MS will also make one more that will be 100MB).

If you have another boot hdd on your system you can always boot from that drive and use windows disc management tool to make a single partition on your SSD and re install windows.

BTW how much ram do you have? It might sound crazy asking this but if you have 8GB ram or hibernate files and pagefile can take almost 16GB from your drive.

A good thing to do is to put your pagefile on your mechanical drive, it will save some space, and a lot of pointless read.writes.

You have a GTP partition hence the EFI volume, this is not required for a partition unless it’s over (approx) 2TB.

I would secure erase the SSD and start fresh. Quick format the SSD from another system drive (if you have one).
OCZ toolbox won’t work, they are for OCZ SSDs only.

You can however use the OCZ Linux toolbox. Don’t panic, you can run it from a USB stick. and it has a very easy to use GUI.
Check out the following link on how to create the Linux boot USB stick, and how to use it.
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?89670-Bootable-Tools-for-OCZ-Vertex-2-3-Agility2-3-Solid3-Revo-and-Ibis-SSD-s

Everyone should have this tool, it’s a must have application for system recovery, even if you don’t have an SSD.

NOTE: Only OCZ SSDs can have their firmware updated from this tool.

Thanks CDan and Vroom and Wendy. I am going to do what you all said. A secure erase using what Wendy mentioned, the OCZ toolbox using the Linux on a USB stick. I just want to know one thing, how and why does the disc show up in my BIOS as Windows Boot Manager, and it will boot from that if I set it to the 1st Boot option, but if I set the GSkill disc to the 1st boot option it wont boot.
Thanks again everyone.:wink:

It’s a GTP partition, you would have to do a UEFI boot to boot from that drive.
Once you secure erase the drive, just create a normal MBR partition rather than a GTP partition, and all should be fine.

Create and format the SSD from another system drive if possible.
Create partition type = MBR
Quick format = NTFS
Install Win7 with the SSD preset to boot HDD in the UEFI, without doing another format.

It’s also wise to disconnect all other SSD/HDD when you install, this prevents Win7 from being silly and writing the master boot record to an HDD instead of the SSD.

[QUOTE=Dee;2613192]It’s a GTP partition, you would have to do a UEFI boot to boot from that drive.
Once you secure erase the drive, just create a normal MBR partition rather than a GTP partition, and all should be fine.

Create and format the SSD from another system drive if possible.
Create partition type = MBR
Quick format = NTFS
Install Win7 with the SSD preset to boot HDD in the UEFI, without doing another format.[/QUOTE]
Thanks Wendy, I feel like an embarrased child, we went over this, you even taught me how to make a bootable USB stick with my OS on it, and now this happens, what a freakin disaster.:o

@ Alan . This is not directly related to your problem but it might be useful to you in creating a bootable USB stick or harddrive. I thint it would work for a SSD too.
I would post the .pdf as an attachment but it is too large.
You can download it here:
http://www.themudcrab.com/acronis_usbharddrive.php
Guide for Creating an Acronis Bootable USB Hard Drive

[QUOTE=cholla;2613196]@ Alan . This is not directly related to your problem but it might be useful to you in creating a bootable USB stick or harddrive. I thint it would work for a SSD too.
I would post the .pdf as an attachment but it is too large.
You can download it here:
http://www.themudcrab.com/acronis_usbharddrive.php
Guide for Creating an Acronis Bootable USB Hard Drive[/QUOTE]
Thanks clolla, I already have an Acronis boot disc. but I think what Wendy is referring to is a different program.

@ Alan , I just thought the guide had some good information about creating a bootable USB stick.
What is is for & the way I have one of my external harddrives set up. Is I plug this harddrive into the USB set the computers boot order to boot from the external first.
This boots from a partition on that external harddrive that contains the information from the Acronis boot disc made by using a usb stick as the guide instructs. That way the boot disc isn’t required . This way the original boot disc stays in good condition. I have the Acronis backups on the same external drive so I jsut have to go to the correct folder.

Paragon also has bootable tools available, and they are a bit more hardware compatible than the current Acronis tools. They offer both DOS/Linux and WinPE bootable tools. You do have to buy the backup software to get the WinPE boot tool. Paragon Backup also includes several partition and drive management tools which can be run from either boot tool and includes support for partition alligment. Acronis also offers a BartPE boot tool but they charge extra for it. All the above can be run from CD or USB.

The free Paragon backup software includes the DOS/Linux boot tool which should allow partition management too.

[QUOTE=CDan;2613217]Paragon also has bootable tools available, and they are a bit more hardware compatible than the current Acronis tools. They offer both DOS/Linux and WinPE bootable tools. You do have to buy the backup software to get the WinPE boot tool. Paragon Backup also includes several partition and drive management tools which can be run from either boot tool and includes support for partition alligment. Acronis also offers a BartPE boot tool but they charge extra for it. All the above can be run from CD or USB.

The free Paragon backup software includes the DOS/Linux boot tool which should allow partition management too.[/QUOTE]
I am going have a look CDan thanks, I dont mind spending the money if it works.:wink: