Reformat a disc--HELP!

vbimport

Hello–I am trying to reuse a hard disk fomr my computer that the motherboard crashed on about two years ago!

It ias a seagate 120 gig internal (7200.7). I have removed it form the box (which has since been disposed of).

I put it into an enclosure to see if I can reformat–problem is that it shows as two drives (k:) and (j:)…

It shows the k: (originally HP recovery) as only 5 gigs,
and the J: (originally HP) as only 13.6 gigs.

I have reformatted “both” drives, but still shows only the above values for size…

properties reveal that the j: drive has a 5.54gig capacity and 5.4 gigs available; also reveals that k: only has has 13.6 available

What gives?? How can I reformat so that:
a. I lose the partition and this becomes one drive;
b. I can use the capacirty of the drive (120gigs)?

Please help!

You have to delete both partitions, then create one parition using the entire disk, then format the newly created partition.

[QUOTE=Whappo;2156235]You have to delete both partitions, then create one parition using the entire disk, then format the newly created partition.[/QUOTE]

OK…so how do I do that?

If you are using XP, go into control panel/administrative tools/computer management/storage/disk management. You should see your drives listed with their partition information. Put your cursor over the parition you want to delete and right click, there should be an option to delete partition. After you have deleted both, right click in the new unallocated space and right click to create a new partition, then right click to format. It’s not that hard.

Sorry whappo, you are wrong, you can not format a partion while xp is running (because xp is running with that partion)

This is the only way to successfully completely reformat a hard drive with xp operating system…

Boot from OEM windows xp cd, go to command prompt, hit “1” first so it allows you to type, then type Format C:

Tada

Just make sure you have all your drivers backed up, because after this format EVERYTHING IS GONE>…

[quote=peck1234;2156450]Sorry whappo, you are wrong, you can not format a partion while xp is running (because xp is running with that partion)[/quote]From the information given, it seems that the drive for reformatting (drive letters j: and k: ) is an external one and not the system disk. Therefore you can repartition, and the other members’ advice seems correct.

Whappo and imkidd57 are correct…:iagree:

[QUOTE=peck1234;2156450] This is the only way to successfully completely reformat a hard drive with xp operating system…
http://www.tippscout.de/formatting-format-drive-c-in-xp-or-windows-2000-and-erase-all-data_tipp_2629.html

Boot from OEM windows xp cd, go to command prompt, hit “1” first so it allows you to type, then type Format C:
[/QUOTE]
Sorry peck, this is not wholly accurate. There are methods to “wipe out” a system hdd [c:] currently running XP and without the XP cd.
One such utility is:

Killdisk

I’ve used this little gem a few times with great success. Twice, I’ve recovered drives that were [I]dead in the water[/I]…or so I thought.
They made noise when powered up and that was it…unrecognized by the bios, etc…

The freeware version is basically a watered-down version of a DoD (Dept of Defense) data destruction utility.

From the homepage:
[I]“This is security software for unrecoverable data elimination for any computer capable of booting in DOS mode from floppy drive. It uses access to the drive’s data on a physical level via BIOS bypassing logical drive structure organization, thus it does not matter what operating systems and file systems located on the machine.”[/I]

You can also make a bootable cd, so folks without the old floppy drives can use this.

It’ll write 1 pass 0’s throughout.

It’s a great little utility, but be forewarned. There’s no hope of data recovery here.

[QUOTE=Whappo;2156445]If you are using XP, go into control panel/administrative tools/computer management/storage/disk management. You should see your drives listed with their partition information. Put your cursor over the parition you want to delete and right click, there should be an option to delete partition. After you have deleted both, right click in the new unallocated space and right click to create a new partition, then right click to format. It’s not that hard.[/QUOTE]

Done! thank you so much for your help…

Will I be able to now install this disk in a computer as a System disk (c:) and load XP onto it?

It won’t be a ‘system disk’ until you install XP on it, but there shouldn’t be any problem.

[QUOTE=Whappo;2156862]It won’t be a ‘system disk’ until you install XP on it, but there shouldn’t be any problem.[/QUOTE]

Maybe I did not know what I was in for with this…XP is now installed, but will not display anything above the :minimum (4 bit color)…

The monitor is a “plug and play”, but is not being recognized as such (it only says “default moniitor”

I cannot connect to my network, because it says that i need a network card (the LAN port is integrated into the motherboard on the computer Iput the new drive in and installed XP on)…

Any suggestions at all?

[QUOTE=keithl1967;2160840]Maybe I did not know what I was in for with this…XP is now installed, but will not display anything above the :minimum (4 bit color)…

The monitor is a “plug and play”, but is not being recognized as such (it only says “default moniitor”

I cannot connect to my network, because it says that i need a network card (the LAN port is integrated into the motherboard on the computer Iput the new drive in and installed XP on)…

Any suggestions at all?[/QUOTE]

more questions…I found the driver for my monitor, but it appears that there is no “display adapter” on which to install the driver…what can I do here?

[QUOTE=keithl1967;2160844]more questions…I found the driver for my monitor, but it appears that there is no “display adapter” on which to install the driver…what can I do here?[/QUOTE]

well–I went to the compaq website, donwloaded what was listed as the correct display driver, and now the system starts, but I get no display whatsoever…

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

[QUOTE=Whappo;2160891]Can you boot into Safe Mode?[/QUOTE]

For some reason–I could not…

I did get everything set now, though…what a pain in the @$$…
Guess that’s what happens when you are a newbie…

Found the drivers online in various places, and all seems to be operating properly…thanks for the quick response though, I really appreciate it!

Glad to see you have it working. Good luck.