Reflectivity differences in DVD-R & DVD+R?

vbimport

I’m planning to get a mod-chip for my PS2 and I’d like to know which format has better reflectivity so that the PS2’s laser would have to work as little as possible. Or is there a difference at all? I’ve heard that +RW discs reflect better than -RW. I’ve heard though that PS2 works better with -R discs.

Off Topic:

Does anyone know whether the PS2 can read +R discs at all, even if they’re burnt with BitSetting setting them as DVD-ROM? Is the BitSetting something that totally changes the way the burner records into the disc or is it just a little tag in the disc?

it really depends, my PS2 is a right P.O.S with any writeable media, it reads Ritek G04 from Traxdata without a problem however it wont read Datawrite G04 even though they are of the exact same quality, ive managed to get it to read just once though an OPTODISC OR4 DVD+R booktyped to DVD-ROM, DVD-R is better for PS2 backups so i hear, i think the later models of PS2 should be fine with either just get a few different brands of + and -R and see how it goes, if i was you i’d type in your playstations model number which can be found on the back of the PS2 into google and see what people are saying about that particular model and what it can read, and welcome to CDfreaks!

Depending on version of PS2. The newest is able to read DVD-and+R without bitsetting.
Reflection rate on DVD-R is better than on +R. Reflectionrate on DVD+R is about the same as the second layer of pressed DVD9 Disc. So the safe way would be to use DVD-R.

No that’s certainly not true. Reflectivity specifications for DVD+R and DVD-R are the same.

Specifications are the same, yes.
But is it possible that in actual production and testing, DVD-R performs better (regarding reflectivity) ? Or ?
DVD-R is much more widely used in Japan compared to DVD+R, but perhaps this is due to the high quality Japanese DVD-R production facilities, which focus more heavily on the better selling format (DVD-R) for that area.

No, tests also show the same reflectivity (and there is really no reason why they wouldn’t). Checking an old C’t article the R14H values were around 50 % (±4) for all tested discs and it was a CMC DVD-R disc that had the lowest value, 46.1 % (still within the specs 45-85 %).

In Japan Panasonic, Toshiba, Pioneer etc. have been pushing DVD-R while it’s mainly European and American companies pushing DVD+R.

Just to add to jsl’s great answer, reflectivity of pressed dual layer DVDs
is between 18 and 30%, so far away from what the less reflective DVD+R
could show.

From what i can see, most companies supporting +rw are japanese. http://www.dvdrw.com/alliance/history.htm

Also, my v5 ps2 plays back ups perfectly on mcc003 (verbatim 8x dvd+r ) bitset to dvd-rom very well. It also does ritek r02 equally well, even discs that don’t play back perfectly in my PC dvd-rom. V5 onwards i believe have a significantly more powerful laser than previous models.

The reason DVD-R is popular in Japan is that over 90% of standalone DVD-Recorders for TV only accept DVD-R/RW. Panasonic and some other Brands also Accept DVD-RAM (there are more recorders supporting DVD-RAM than there are for DVD+R). The only standalone DVD-Recorder I know of writing to DVD+R is a Sony. Also more Japanese makers are in the DVD-R camp than in the +R camp.In Japan Pioneers stance to DVD+R playback on standalone Players and Recorders is still if it plays your lucky and we dont guarantee you playback of any DVD+R disc. Same is with Toshiba, Panasonic, JVC,Mitsubishi and Sharp (dont think you even could complain if your player has problems or gets damaged when using DVD+R in it). Its written in almost all manuals that playback of DVD+R is not supported. Sony is one of the few which supports DVD+R. Also media makers only sell DVD-R in spindles of 50.