'redundancy' error message during IMGBurn

Recently I’ve been having a problem burning a DVD-R. At some point during the burn I get a ‘redundancy’ error message and asks if i want to retry or cancel. Sometimes the retry works but most of the time I end up having to cancel.

The error message identifies a specific VOB file that IMGBurn can’t read and often I can ‘fix’ the problem by copying that single VOB over again. Then starting a new burn.

Since I don’t really know what is going on specifically during a burn I don’t have much of an idea about the cause.

When I’m ripping a DVD and I get this ‘redundancy’ error I know it’s usually a problem reading the disk (dirt, finger prints, scratches). Sometimes cleaning the DVD eliminates the problem and sometimes it’s a case of a bad DVD and can’t be read (ripped).

I’ve always assumed that if the read (rip) goes without any ‘redundancy’ errors then the files I have on my hard drive are ‘clean’ and I can burn them to a blank DVD-R assuming the blank media is OK and the drive is working correctly. If that is not the case any problems show up in the verify step.

Can someone suggest what the problem might be that results in having a file on my hard drive that causes a ‘redundancy’ error during a burn? Is it the hard drive, the DVD drive. Did it occur while writing the file to the hard drive even though I didn’t get a ‘redundancy’ error during the read (rip) or does it happen during the burn if the DVD burner can’t read the file on the hard drive (sometimes, but no usually the retry works and IMGBurn completes the burn)?

Is this a sign that the hard drive is starting to fail or the DVD burner drive is starting to fail.

This has only been happening in the past month after doing burns for years without this problem.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

Hi,

you better check your HDD with the tool from the HDD manufacturer.
And it’s better to have a backup…

Michael

Can someone suggest what the problem might be that results in having a file on my[I][B] hard drive[/B][/I] that causes a ‘redundancy’ error [I][B]during a burn[/B][/I]? Is it the hard drive, the DVD drive.

Can also be the result of using bad/low quality media…

Sorry, I’m not very experienced I don’t know what that means.

“you better check your HDD with the tool from the HDD manufacturer.
And it’s better to have a backup…”

What is a HDD and what is the tool for checking it.

“And it’s better to have a backup…”? Better than what and a backup of what?

Also from t0nee1- If it’s a media problem that implies to me that as it is being burned, the IMGBurn program is reading the burn and comparing it to the source from the hard drive. I didn’t think it did that, which is why I go through the verify step.

I’ve always assumed that if the read (rip) goes without any ‘redundancy’ errors then the files I have on my hard drive are ‘clean’ and I can burn them to a blank DVD-R [I]assuming the blank media is OK and the drive is working correctly.[/I] If that is not the case any problems show up in the verify step.

Are you getting the error(s) when ripping or when burning?..What ripping app are you using?..Again if it’s in the burning process, it could be the media…What discs are you using to burn with?..
HDD means your ’ hardrive '…

Thanks for your reply.

It’s during the burn using IMGBurn. Build mode. Media Verbatim blank DVD-R disks.

I think the ‘error’ occurs when IMGBurn accesses the hard drive files, since the burn seems to continue for a short time until it empties the buffers. And once in a while it corrects the error on a ‘retry.’

Re: the hard drive. What tools are provided by the manufacturer?

Tools are programs that will help you diagnose Hard Drive Problems.
Here is the link to Seagate for you to look at.

Not knowing what Drive you have this is just an example (unless you do have a Seagate HDD).

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools

SeaTools is a comprehensive, easy-to-use diagnostic tool that helps you quickly determine the condition of the disk drive in your external hard drive, desktop or laptop computer. It includes several tests that will examine the physical media on your Seagate or Maxtor disk drive and any other non-Seagate disk drive.

Check also your RAM with memtest :slight_smile: