Reducing AVI File Size

please help me to know How to reduce the size of an AVI file so that i can save a lot of HDD space which is allready fulll…
Any software…
Thanx in Advance

you can use virtualdub to re-encode it on a different screensize or a different bitrate. This wil make it smaller, but you can get loss of quality

There’s other AVI codecs that make smaller files, but it means re-encoding and using even more HD space while you’re doing it.
Or, if you can use an MPEG, just go ahead and render it to MPEG?

Originally posted by rdgrimes
There’s other AVI codecs that make smaller files, but it means re-encoding and using even more HD space while you’re doing it.
Or, if you can use an MPEG, just go ahead and render it to MPEG?

how can I do that…and which software can i use without loss of quality…
plz help I am a newbie…
THANX

It’s not possible to reduce size without reducing some quality. The AVI codecs seem to retain most of the video quality, but rendering to MPEG will mean some loss, how much depends on how much you reduce the bitrate.
Suggest you start by reading the tutorials here and in the transcoding forum. Many of the tools used there will do what you wish.

ofcourse it’s possible…

However, you will have to decompress it to watch. So it won’t be good for Divx players, or any player for that matter in compressed format, but it will [B]knock 75%[/B] [B]off[/B] the size of all your files, weather Videos, or not.

My method was to write a program that splits the source file ([B]DivX-XviD AVI’s[/B]) into 100 peices, then encodes each peice to Base64 ([B]b64[/B] makes the file size bigger… ie: [B]731 MB[/B] becomes [B]1095 MB[/B] :rolleyes:).

[B]B64[/B] lets you know exactly which characters will appear in the Binary file…

The characters are:

[B]ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789+/[/B]

This amount of characters is easier to deal with ([B]64[/B]), opposed to the standard [B]255[/B], & [B]217.[/B]

Next, it opens each file peice, & converts every 4 characters to their byte values…
ie: “ABf6” = “065066102054”… (A = 065, B = 066, f = 102, 6 = 054)

Then replace each signature (“065066102054”) with a pre-set number, or character for that signature… ie: “ABf6” = “1”, “x3Wp” = “2”, “oT4A” = “b”, etc…

And save the results in a simple text file… ie: if (Rambo.4.DVDRip.XviD.DTeCH.avi.txt) only contains “12b”, then when decompressed, it will read “ABf6x3WpoT4A”

If the same file in [B]b64[/B] format was [B]1095 MB[/B], then the uncompressed txt file will be [B]365 MB[/B].

Then it compresses the [B]txt[/B] file. If the [B]txt[/B] file was [B]365 MB[/B], then after standard [B]Deflate64[/B] ([B]zip[/B]) compression, it can reach as much as [B]15% ratio[/B], & become [B]54.75 MB[/B] in size! And [B]No[/B] quality loss whatsoever! :iagree:

Now thats compression for ya!!!:bow:

[QUOTE=DTeCH;1974139]ofcourse it’s possible…

However, you will have to decompress it to watch. So it won’t be good for Divx players, or any player for that matter in compressed format, but it will [B]knock 75%[/B] [B]off[/B] the size of all your files, weather Videos, or not.

My method was to write a program that splits the source file ([B]DivX-XviD AVI’s[/B]) into 100 peices, then encodes each peice to Base64 ([B]b64[/B] makes the file size bigger… ie: [B]731 MB[/B] becomes [B]1095 MB[/B] :rolleyes:).

[B]B64[/B] lets you know exactly which characters will appear in the Binary file…

The characters are:

This amount of characters is easier to deal with ([B]64[/B]), opposed to the standard [B]255[/B], & [B]217.[/B]

Next, it opens each file peice, & converts every 4 characters to their byte values…

Then replace each signature (“065066102054”) with a pre-set number, or character for that signature… ie: “ABf6” = “1”, “x3Wp” = “2”, “oT4A” = “b”, etc…

And save the results in a simple text file… ie: if (Rambo.4.DVDRip.XviD.DTeCH.avi.txt) only contains “12b”, then when decompressed, it will read “ABf6x3WpoT4A”

If the same file in [B]b64[/B] format was [B]1095 MB[/B], then the uncompressed txt file will be [B]365 MB[/B].

Then it compresses the [B]txt[/B] file. If the [B]txt[/B] file was [B]365 MB[/B], then after standard [B]Deflate64[/B] ([B]zip[/B]) compression, it can reach as much as [B]15% ratio[/B], & become [B]54.75 MB[/B] in size! And [B]No[/B] quality loss whatsoever! :iagree:

Now thats compression for ya!!!:bow:[/QUOTE]

What sense would that make, DTech??

Storage, E-Mail, & Net transfer (Torrents)… That is what I built it for.

However, you will have to decompress it to watch. So it won’t be good for Divx players, or any player for that matter in compressed format, but it will knock 75% off the size of all your files, weather Videos, or not.

Most binaries DO NOT compress well with standard compressors like winzip, winrar, 7zip, & so on. They all use similar methods with sleight diferences… so I built my own.

They use similar technologies like BZip2, GZip, Zip3, ZLib, BurrowsWheeler (BWT), Deflate, Deflate64, & Store methods…

None of which does anything for binaries.

I did not say that it was an Audio/Video codec.

Rather, it’s a binary file compressor/decompressor.

When you want to watch a movie, simply decompress it, & watch.

This will allow you to store several thousand more files/vids than usual without having to go out & buy a new hard drive.

I think the OP meant a method to reduce the filesize but also having the movie left in a playable state. :confused:

[quote=DTeCH;1974139]ofcourse it’s possible…

The characters are:

Now thats compression for ya!!!:bow:[/quote]

DTeCH -
I am impressed and interested in doing such compressions/decompressions. Is the program that you mention available? And, as newbie, how does one decompress the final text file to bring it back to a playable form. THanks
iratei

I am impressed and interested in doing such compressions/decompressions. Is the program that you mention available? And, as newbie, how does one decompress the final text file to bring it back to a playable form. THanks
iratei

You simply put the compressed file through the process in reverse to return it to it’s original state.

DTeCH
Perhaps I am dippy or perhaps you didn’t see the question in the middle of my response: Is the program available? (for breaking up files into many parts and so on). If it is, how do I find it? Thanks
iratei

[quote=iratei;2029839]DTeCH
Perhaps I am dippy or perhaps you didn’t see the question in the middle of my response: Is the program available? (for breaking up files into many parts and so on). If it is, how do I find it? Thanks
iratei[/quote]

No, it is not available. I have them in project form. (VB.Net 2008)

My problem lays with Vista. It works on win98, Win2000, WinServer2003, & XP.

Both the Compressor, & de-Compressor are in a single program. I will not give away the de-compressor… that will be for sale. So, I will have to separate them before any part of it is released. The compressor will be free.

I’m thinking of releasing a free version that only works with smaller files… like 10MBs max. Just so people can see that it works.

ps: The resulting file pieces (after compression) is combined to a single file.