RedFox not recognizing existing Slysoft customers

vbimport

So Redfox has issued a new version of AnyDVD.

However, even members with Lifetime registrations are expected to pay all over again.

No way am I going to pay these guys, they probably won’t be around in a couple of months, so why waste my money.

After a couple of unsavoury messages from RedFox (who are basicly Slysoft under a new name, same people anyway).

All I can reccomend, is that Slysoft customers look elsewhere for an alternative to AnyDVD and AnyDVDHD.:a

Meant to add, that if you don’t purchase a RedFox license, you old copy of AnyDVD is going to be disabled by RedFox at the server.

Wow Strong-arm tactics.

Sorry you feel that way.

Well I had bought the complete Slysoft/Elby suite, and now I just feels its a kick in the nuts that they are going to want me to pay for all of it all over again.

AnyDVD is just the beginning.

Can anyone recommend an alternative to AnyDVD that works in a similar way please?

Can anyone recommend an alternative to AnyDVD that works in a similar way please?

There is only one program that works in the same manner as AnyDVD. It is called DVDFab Passkey, and it comes in three variations. One is for DVD’s only, the second, called DVDFab Passkey for Blu-ray, will work with Blu-ray. The last one is a combination of those two and will work with either type of disc, but is the most expensive.

DVDFab has the unpleasant propensity to split their programs into as many pieces as possible in order to maximize income.

But if you want a background decrypter, Passkey is the only other option to AnyDVD HD.

It is still possible to decrypt both DVD’s and Blu-ray for free, but this tool is not a background decrypter. It is called MakeMKV. It will decrypt and rip DVD’s as MKV files, main movie only. The resulting MKV will have the same video and audio codecs as the original DVD, and it will not be compressed. You can also save subtitles.

When working with Blu-ray, MakeMKV has two options. It can rip to an MKV in the same manner as it does with DVD’s, or you can rip the entire Blu-ray movie to the hard drive, completely unchanged except for removal of encryption. You need to use the program in Backup mode to do this. MakeMKV is free to use while in beta, and has been in beta for many years now. You will have to update the beta key periodically, probably every month or two. The beta keys are found here: http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053 And you will need to update the program as new versions are released. It is updated fairly frequently to deal with new encryption schemes.

Now, for my opinion on the Redfox situation.

Slysoft is gone. Kaput. Over. [I]He’s dead Jim![/I] Get over it. Some Slysoft products had a lifetime update policy, but that went with the company. Elby products are not affected by the ending of Slysoft, so you don’t have to worry about those. And considering the online database that Slysoft AnyDVD HD relied on for decryption of some types of Blu-ray…do you really expect anyone to keep running those servers for free?

Redfox is a new company, made up from the same programmers, who now have more direct control of the direction of the company. They will need a revenue stream to continue, so I see no problem in them asking for payment for the program. I think they are making a mistake in offering a lifetime version, but that may be a necessity in the face of competition from DVDFab.

I had a lifetime version of AnyDVD HD. I’m not particularly happy to lose it, but I understand the situation. I always preferred AnyDVD HD to any other option for decryption, but I will not be buying a new version from Redfox. I simply don’t decrypt that many movies anymore. I might buy a movie once a month these days, if that often, and it simply isn’t worth investing in the new AnyDVD HD since I already have three other effective decrypters on hand.

This will be the problem for Redfox, DVDFab and others. The market is shrinking for decryption programs as people shift their buying habits away from physical media to streaming. The MPAA may not have to kill them off, the market may make them obsolete all by itself.

My take on it (the printable version). :slight_smile:

I can understand why people are upset to lose their ‘lifetime’ AnyDVD HD updates.
They didn’t buy a ‘lifetime’ license for ‘SlySoft’, they bought a lifetime license for ‘AnyDVD HD’.

AnyDVD HD lives on via Redfox. The source code is the same, even the GUI is the same, and it’s still called AnyDVD HD.

IMO, Redfox could have given the loyal AnyDVD HD ‘lifetime’ licence owners a much, much better deal on the SlySoft to Redfox journey.

Great report on another decryption tool Kerry

Since you done most of this how about a section on all possible known working 3rd party tools that do work or are still out there working.

great explanation

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2774769]There is only one program that works in the same manner as AnyDVD. It is called DVDFab Passkey, and it comes in three variations. One is for DVD’s only, the second, called DVDFab Passkey for Blu-ray, will work with Blu-ray. The last one is a combination of those two and will work with either type of disc, but is the most expensive.

DVDFab has the unpleasant propensity to split their programs into as many pieces as possible in order to maximize income.

But if you want a background decrypter, Passkey is the only other option to AnyDVD HD.

It is still possible to decrypt both DVD’s and Blu-ray for free, but this tool is not a background decrypter. It is called MakeMKV. It will decrypt and rip DVD’s as MKV files, main movie only. The resulting MKV will have the same video and audio codecs as the original DVD, and it will not be compressed. You can also save subtitles.

When working with Blu-ray, MakeMKV has two options. It can rip to an MKV in the same manner as it does with DVD’s, or you can rip the entire Blu-ray movie to the hard drive, completely unchanged except for removal of encryption. You need to use the program in Backup mode to do this. MakeMKV is free to use while in beta, and has been in beta for many years now. You will have to update the beta key periodically, probably every month or two. The beta keys are found here: http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053 And you will need to update the program as new versions are released. It is updated fairly frequently to deal with new encryption schemes.[/QUOTE]

The fact is that without Redfox you would have nothing. The Slysoft licence still works for 150,000 titles up until Feb 2016. But you will get no more updates. They have spent a ton of money defending peoples right to make a backup. Now I think its time people understand that without RedFox you would have no program at all. RedFox is not Slysoft. Fact. Slysoft and all that went with it is dead. They fought for years for your rights. Now its time for the people that liked the program and want continued updates to back them up. Your program that you paid for is still working. Don’t buy the license its up to you. But developers have to eat also. They could have easily gone in the private sector and got very good employment. But they chose to move ahead with a great project. You do not have to buy. Just by the amount of upset people here and there, I can see that the program was important. There is nothing you can do. Some got 13 years of updates for a mere 30Euros in 2003, some paid more. Most of the membership are buying new licenses and thanking them for moving on with the project. Then there are the malcontents. You should ashamed of yourselves, for a pity few Euros. This my one and only post on the subject. Please do not feel compelled to answer. :doh: I felt the same way when DVDFAB was under scrutiny but they are in China out of the reach of the AACS-LA. People that worked for years and gave you everything you wanted. But the powers that be would rather take away your rights, then do the right thing.

I will never ever feel ashamed of sticking up for the rights of consumers who bought something in good faith, no matter what it is, or much they paid for it.

In the 12 years I’ve been here, I’ve also learned that you can’t silence the ‘critics’. The more you try, they louder they will shout.

Everyone has opinions on things, and I’m no different.

And I respect everyone’s opinion. I have mine also. I just don’t think people have all the facts, even though Myce has reported on them every step of the way. Every one has an opinion. Some are uninformed but an opinion none the less. I suggest people do a search of all of our Latest News Forum, maybe then they would have a differing opinion, maybe not. I don’t buy DVDs or Blurays anymore. At my age I am lucky to stay awake for an hour TV show, much less a 2 hour movie.:wink:

[QUOTE=Dee;2774779]My take on it (the printable version). :slight_smile:

I can understand why people are upset to lose their ‘lifetime’ AnyDVD HD updates.
They didn’t buy a ‘lifetime’ license for ‘SlySoft’, they bought a lifetime license for ‘AnyDVD HD’.

AnyDVD HD lives on via Redfox. The source code is the same, even the GUI is the same, and it’s still called AnyDVD HD.

IMO, Redfox could have given the loyal AnyDVD HD ‘lifetime’ licence owners a much, much better deal on the SlySoft to Redfox journey.[/QUOTE]

Hi :slight_smile:
Highly valid points in my humble opinion.
This excepts that RedFox team, as ex-employees would require some income.
Whilst still alluding to how the “loyal” could’ve been allowed more of a recompense.

Hi :slight_smile:
How I see it.

Slysoft were for a long time untouchable.
But IMO dwindling income due to users increasingly streaming etc.
Rising fines.
The money man had enough.
Hence the collapse of Slysoft.
Hail the rise of RedFox.
Will it be any different?
Can it last?
Truth is no-one really knows.
However, RedFox sums appear to be a mistake.
That is if it is going to last any worthwhile time.

Why is this?
One of the queries regarding Slysoft finances. Were the LTL (LifeTimeLicences).
One can see that a regular income (maybe annually) is better than a one off fee.
Competitive pricing isn’t a strong point either.
One particular competitor is offering BD copy+ripper* for almost half the cost of AnyDVD HD alone.
These particular programs needs no additional decryter.

Forgotten the loyal.
RedFox in the early days (isn’t it still) led those who had a LTL to believe. They would get some sort of preference over newbies.
Whilst I can see this would be logistically near impossible.
It is not happening.
No explanation or apology from the RedFox team.

Hang on Slysoft has other software.
Take a look.
Only RedFox CloneCD & CloneDVDmobile**.
CloneBD & CloneDVD are the property of Elby.
(Should perhaps mention the freeware - Virtual CloneDrive (Elby) & ReClcok.
Competition here is rife.
Most of which leaves both RedFox & Elby floundering behind.
In terms of performance & pricing.

Finally returning to Slysoft/RedFox & the jewel in the crown.
I may be wrong, but the only updates to come forth under the RedFox have been to address the database & test the new licencing.
There are programs that appear to be well on the way to defeat “Cinavia”.
Which would make AnyDVD HD with its “fool the software player” redundant.

Only the demise of Slysoft made me aware that:
A: Rarely used it.
B: Probably didn’t need it.

*LifeTimeLicence TOO!
**Will these RedFox programs go through the same (now infamous) “licence not valid” requiring new purchases to fund any significant updates?

All great observations by all of you I was going to purchase a new LTL however their purchasing using Visa cards is not working out very well Many and I am goiing to say atleast 50% that try the transactions will not go through without a call to the card issuer to do an override because of fraud prevention they get flagged not only in the USA also in EU.

So this really turned me off and start thinking well if they have no real payment processor other than bitcoin how are they going to stay In business so I have changed my mind they may not be around in a few months from what I am seeing at this point.

So I will not be purchasing a new License at all.

Not being a Slysoft or Redfox customer, I don’t have any previous bias on this, and I understand both viewpoints.

I have a feeling that AACS-LA is killing off Blu-ray faster than it would otherwise die, by aggressively treating paying customers of their media as criminals.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2774782]They have spent a ton of money defending peoples right to make a backup.[/QUOTE] They have only defended people’s ability to make a backup, not the right to do so.

Here’s a question for everyone:

Option A:
Pay money to get Blu-ray media of a movie.
Pay money for a decryption program.
Rip/copy your media.
Your copy is illegal and you’re a criminal! (*)

Option B:
Pirate movie from the Internet for free.
Your copy is illegal and you’re a criminal!

Does Option A seem more attractive to you than Option B? In both cases you’re a criminal, but choosing Option A also costs you money.

Option A doesn’t seem attractive to me, apart from probably being the option where you are less likely to get caught.

(*) Under most legislations.

[QUOTE=Dee;2774779]My take on it (the printable version). :slight_smile:

IMO, Redfox could have given the loyal AnyDVD HD ‘lifetime’ licence owners a much, much better deal on the SlySoft to Redfox journey.[/QUOTE]They gave LTL Holders nothing for a discount anyone while they are running the 20% off can purchase anydvd HD LTL for the same price.

Former LTL holders they could have atleast given LTL Holders a 30% discount but they didn’t so more angry people which I can’t blame them.

Fab still has on sale Passkey for dvdand bluray for $53.00 USD Lifetime a good alternative to the new Anydvd HD pricing half as much for a lifetime license.

And no hassels checking out either…

[QUOTE=ILLP;2774795]They gave LTL Holders nothing for a discount anyone while they are running the 20% off can purchase anydvd HD LTL for the same price.

Former LTL holders they could have atleast given LTL Holders a 30% discount but they didn’t so more angry people which I can’t blame them.

Fab still has on sale Passkey for dvdand bluray for $53.00 USD Lifetime a good alternative to the new Anydvd HD pricing half as much for a lifetime license.

And no hassels checking out either…[/QUOTE]
No one reads before posting anymore do they. Slysoft and your license with them is dead. Move On. As Alan said the Slysoft still works up to a point and will keep working long after that. If you want more OPD access then you will have to buy RedFox to get that option. It’s simple people otherwise go and buy the DVD/BD movies and have your very own copy and no backup in-case it breaks. What does that sounds like? Anydvd HD existed for a reason and will be for a long time-it works even DVDfab and DVDranger used Anydvd HD do their dirty work least they try to deny this-when they couldn’t theirs to work yet. And still they don’t credit Anydvd HD for this opportunity that they got.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2774805]No one reads before posting anymore do they. Slysoft and your license with them is dead. Move On. As Alan said the Slysoft still works up to a point and will keep working long after that. If you want more OPD access then you will have to buy RedFox to get that option. It’s simple people otherwise go and buy the DVD/BD movies and have your very own copy and no backup in-case it breaks. What does that sounds like? Anydvd HD existed for a reason and will be for a long time-it works even DVDfab and DVDranger used Anydvd HD do their dirty work least they try to deny this-when they couldn’t theirs to work yet. And still they don’t credit Anydvd HD for this opportunity that they got.[/QUOTE]You think I don’t read?

I have read everything from the point Slysoft closed for business and Redfox was being worked on and just went up for sale a few days ago.

I have read about every post on the redfox forum for the last few months so please don’t tell me I don’t Read and I for one am not going to purchase a new LTL for now until I am sure they are going to be around for more than a couple months there payment proccess is not what I would call friendly to the buyer at all unless you use bitcoins which most do not and never will.

[QUOTE=ILLP;2774807]You think I don’t read?

I have read everything from the point Slysoft closed for business and Redfox was being worked on and just went up for sale a few days ago.

I have read about every post on the redfox forum for the last few months so please don’t tell me I don’t Read and I for one am not going to purchase a new LTL for now until I am sure they are going to be around for more than a couple months there payment proccess is not what I would call friendly to the buyer at all unless you use bitcoins which most do not and never will.[/QUOTE]
How can you blame them for only having Visa, the payment processors wont deal with them, only these few. Mastercard will be available very soon, its not fair to blame them for that. Soon more processors will come on board, and plenty of licenses have been sold already. If someone is trying to please you and someone else is stopping them, who’s fault is it? Visa works just fine.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2774808]How can you blame them for only having Visa, the payment processors wont deal with them, only these few. Mastercard will be available very soon, its not fair to blame them for that. Soon more processors will come on board, and plenty of licenses have been sold already. If someone is trying to please you and someone else is stopping them, who’s fault is it? Visa works just fine.[/QUOTE]Visa and the error code 66 well that doen’t work for me and yes I could call my Bank in the morning but when I had a dear freind of mine from the EU try and purchase LTL for me he got the same thing and a phone call from Visa he said he could overide it but I said no and the reason I did is because it gave me some time to think if this many are having problems with Visa which the redfox forum is full of them are the potential customers going to bother with the hassel?

I will not because I want to make sure they are still around in a couple months simple as that and thats my view.

I wish the new company well and will wait and see what other options for payments they will take I expect the same thing will happen with master card as has with Visa I hope I am wrong.:slight_smile: