Redbox aims to challenge Netflix with online service

vbimport

I just posted the article Redbox aims to challenge Netflix with online service.

Redbox, the video rental company known for their prolific $1 per night DVD kiosks, has announced that they are developing an online strategy to compete with major rival Netflix.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/redbox-aims-to-challenge-netflix-with-online-service-32216/](http://www.myce.com/news/redbox-aims-to-challenge-netflix-with-online-service-32216/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

OK red box what’d be nice is if you pair this with unlimited kiosk rentals for $15 a month and I’d be set.

[QUOTE=buzz86us;2533222]OK red box what’d be nice is if you pair this with unlimited kiosk rentals for $15 a month and I’d be set.[/QUOTE]

I agree…just the dollar rental won’t let them overcome Netflix current model til redbox does that or similiar and have more selections will they challenge Netflix.

Netflix, Blockbuster, and now Redbox, woohoo online dvd rental wars! How low can you go?

$1 per movie for an online stream through Redbox online would be awesome. It could even supplement a Netflix subscription, allowing for easy, cheap purchasing of new release movies on demand that would be otherwise unavailable through Netflix instant viewing. On the other hand, I’m skeptical that the movie studios will be willing to actually provide Redbox with their content for that low of a price for online streaming.

Isn’t Netflix supposedly working on streaming new releases faster?

[QUOTE=Blu-rayFreak;2533404]$1 per movie for an online stream through Redbox online would be awesome. It could even supplement a Netflix subscription, allowing for easy, cheap purchasing of new release movies on demand that would be otherwise unavailable through Netflix instant viewing. On the other hand, I’m skeptical that the movie studios will be willing to actually provide Redbox with their content for that low of a price for online streaming.[/QUOTE]

Bad part about this is $1/day movie so if you keep it out it’s $/day each day til 20 days then it’s cost you $20 for the dvd so that will add up and not be a good value compared to Netflix subscription rate. I don’t stream as I like like to watch when I want and where I want with DVD. I will only stream if of last resort.

[QUOTE=justcallmebob;2533408]Isn’t Netflix supposedly working on streaming new releases faster?[/QUOTE]

I think they can only stream as fast as your broadband width allows and what the studios allow to be streamed…so regardless of how fast Netflix wants to stream the studio will be the one deciding what to allow streaming video…or when to release to streaming video…

I hope Redbox ( or anyone) buries Netflix. I’ve been a mamber of NF for years and they long ago stopped sending me current releases because they classify me as a “heavy user”. The only use they are to me now is for streaming and even that is limited by the fact that NF does NOT have subtitles on their streamed titles. I’m happy to pay $1 per day to RB for current releases and if they will offer a streaming service at a similar value point as NF they will own me. NF SUCKS!!!

NF doesn’t suck. I dunno why they classified ram16 as a ‘heavy user’. Hell, I’ve been using NF since almost day one and have almost never had a problem. I think I’ve had about three discs that were unplayable and needed to be returned for a playable copy. I keep the discs for maybe 2-3 days average before returning. At ~$17 a month, it’s one of the best deals on the planet.

[QUOTE=ram16;2533493]I hope Redbox ( or anyone) buries Netflix. I’ve been a mamber of NF for years and they long ago stopped sending me current releases because they classify me as a “heavy user”. The only use they are to me now is for streaming and even that is limited by the fact that NF does NOT have subtitles on their streamed titles. I’m happy to pay $1 per day to RB for current releases and if they will offer a streaming service at a similar value point as NF they will own me. NF SUCKS!!![/QUOTE]

I am a heavy user on Netflix and get 1st dibs on new releases. They are the best Blockbuster will soon be gone

[QUOTE=Circlestrafe;2533498]NF doesn’t suck. I dunno why they classified ram16 as a ‘heavy user’. Hell, I’ve been using NF since almost day one and have almost never had a problem. I think I’ve had about three discs that were unplayable and needed to be returned for a playable copy. I keep the discs for maybe 2-3 days average before returning. At ~$17 a month, it’s one of the best deals on the planet.[/QUOTE]

You’re entitled to your opinion as am I, however I think you might change your mind if/when they decide to atop sending you current releases as they have me. If you keep disks for 2-3 days they probably will never classify you as a heavy user especially since you pay $17 dollars a month. I only pay $9 per month for what they call “unlimited” DVD rentals in all of their ads. That’s a flat out lie when every new release shows up in my queue as “long wait” and never arrives. To prove my point I opened a second account with a different credit card and guess what? All those DVDs I’d been waiting weeks to month for were immediately available to me. The simple fact is they have rules they don’t publicize because if they did they wouldn’t be able to use the word “unlimited”. They enforce those rules without ever telling you that you’ve done something they don’t like. If you think I’m full of it go tho their blog. There are multiple posts from others with similar observations. Most of them haven’t figured out yet just why they can’t get the disks they want. Redbox on the other hand doesn’t care how many disks you rent. It’s “first come first served” as it should be at NF. Before you ask, I have talked multiple times to NF customer support. They know exactly what’s going on and are totally unsympathetic. A complete waste of time. So, I say again NETFLIX SUCKS!!!

[QUOTE=burgman;2533504]I am a heavy user on Netflix and get 1st dibs on new releases. They are the best Blockbuster will soon be gone[/QUOTE]

You may think you’re a heavy user but NF doesn’t---------yet. If/when they do you’ll see what I mean. I do agree that Blockbuster is doomed which will only make NF more arrogant. Go Redbox.

[QUOTE=ram16;2533514]You may think you’re a heavy user but NF doesn’t---------yet. If/when they do you’ll see what I mean. I do agree that Blockbuster is doomed which will only make NF more arrogant. Go Redbox.[/QUOTE]

Sounds more like trolling then any thing reasonable I been a long time renter of old and new DVD and haven’t faced what your describing also you have no facts to backup those so called claims to even make your case legit. So GO NETFLIX… Just as other users have said what claims you have has no merit or anything to prove it and making duplicate account is dubious and doesn’t prove anything of your previous account which most likely they canceled your other account or current account because of suspicious names or put you on a list of uncredited user account for violation of their terms.

[QUOTE=ram16;2533509]A complete waste of time. So, I say again NETFLIX SUCKS!!![/QUOTE]

Remember you SIGNED and AGREED to their terms of contract when you joined them and they at anything can change or modify them to their situation and if they find abuse will put you in the dog house for it. Just like the rest of the Netflix users and you don’t like it stop using it!!

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2533600]Sounds more like trolling then any thing reasonable I been a long time renter of old and new DVD and haven’t faced what your describing also you have no facts to backup those so called claims to even make your case legit. So GO NETFLIX… Just as other users have said what claims you have has no merit or anything to prove it and making duplicate account is dubious and doesn’t prove anything of your previous account which most likely they canceled your other account or current account because of suspicious names or put you on a list of uncredited user account for violation of their terms.[/QUOTE]

Sounds to me like we have a NF employee here folks.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2533603]Remember you SIGNED and AGREED to their terms of contract when you joined them and they at anything can change or modify them to their situation and if they find abuse will put you in the dog house for it. Just like the rest of the Netflix users and you don’t like it stop using it!![/QUOTE]

I didn’t sign anything. Their terms only say they will allocate on the basis of availability not prior usage. I fully understand that they have more requests for new releases than they have copies but they should send them out on a “first come first served basis” and not by some secret formula. Believe me I will stop using them ASAP. That’s why I hope Redbox buries them.

[QUOTE=ram16;2533608]Sounds to me like we have a NF employee here folks.[/QUOTE]

Really and where are the facts that you got that from??? Maybe go back and read what I wrote…or twice…and see what I said I was at any time employed by Netflix…

[QUOTE=ram16;2533611]I didn’t sign anything. Their terms only say they will allocate on the basis of availability not prior usage. I fully understand that they have more requests for new releases than they have copies but they should send them out on a “first come first served basis” and not by some secret formula. Believe me I will stop using them ASAP. That’s why I hope Redbox buries them.[/QUOTE]

lmao you must be reading those rosy numbers again and cherry picking…like I said before you Signed and Agreed with their terms regardless of what you want to think. And as I said before “Don’t like them then don’t use them or subscribe to them”. No one is holding a gun to your head to make you choose them. Unfortunately you may say your first on your list but did you happen to know there are others ahead of you on the [U]queue[/U] list maybe you should think about that. That is the [U]real queue[/U] list not what is your showing on you list.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2533461]I think they can only stream as fast as your broadband width allows and what the studios allow to be streamed…so regardless of how fast Netflix wants to stream the studio will be the one deciding what to allow streaming video…or when to release to streaming video…[/QUOTE]

I guess I should’ve said sooner rather than “faster” . . . :smiley: