Red Dwarf Season 7, Disk 2

I’m back; I searched on Red Dwarf to find prior help and only found my prior Red Dwarf post (since fixed).

Notes: The Red Dwarf Season 7 Disk 2 DVD is slightly scratched (I own worse that have bcked up–see my kids DVD’s) The disk is Red Dwarf Season 7, Disk 2. I plays fine to watch on any DVD player; just for fun I watched the whole thing again last night.
Disk 1 was backed up to hard drive without a problem (Disk 1 also plays fine from hard drive). Any help appreciated; the whole set cost me $250 and when I loan it to friends they’re slowly destroying it.

1) AnyDVD Version: 6.0.8.2

2) State a)the specific version of AnyDVD you’re using.
AnyDVD English version 6.0.8.2 from Slysoft.com, written by Island Thunder

b)the specific version(s) of the burning application(s):
None; can’t get past copying to hard drive with DVDShrink 3.2 (which will try to read the DVD) or CloneDVD2 (Which reports it as a CSS protected DVD, even with AnyDVD running)

3) Specify the a)full title, b)region code, c) country, and d) release date of the disc
Red Dwarf Series 7 Disk 2 (of 3)
Region 1
Country: Filmed in BBC but released in USA by Warner Brothers
Release: 1989

4) Specify a)the brand, model number and firmware versions of your optical reader and writer
NEC model ND-3550A, version 1.05 (there’s an update to 1.06 I have not installed)

d) Let us know what operating system (version number and service pack, if applicable)
Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002, Service Pack 2, all MS-pushed updates to 24 Oct 2006. AMD Athalon XP 2500+ (1.83GHz) with 1.25 GB RAM and over 200 gig of HD space free. (I’m backing up to a separate hard drive from the boot HD.)

5) What blank media are you using?
N/A, trying to copy to hard drive.

6) At what speed are you burning your blank media?
N/A, trying to copy to hard drive.

7) Click the red fox icon in your system tray. Select “status” on the left hand side of your screen. With the problematic disc inserted in your computer, click the appropriate drive tab letter (the drive containing the disc) in AnyDVD. In the window below the drive letter, copy and paste the information AnyDVD gives you in your post asking for help.

Summary for drive E: (AnyDVD 6.0.8.2)
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a Data DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 2030976 sectors (3966 MBytes)
Total size: 4055018 sectors (7919 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: E2416
Media is CSS protected!
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is locked to region(s): 1!

RCE protection not found.
DVD structure appears to be correct.
Structural copy protection not found.
Changed firstplay: Jump directly to TitleMenu!
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Bad sector protection not found.
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

8) State the full a)error message(s) you encountered, b)tell us what program(s) you were using when you received the error message(s), and c) describe in detail what you were doing when you received the error message(s).

Errors occurred when trying to copy from DVD to hard drive.

CloneDVD2:
Creation of DVD files was not successful: Invalid block start code. One or more blocks might be corrupted by a prior copying process or the source device covering critical read errors. Try copying the video files to your harddrive (again) and retry.
PS 10 VOBU 4 55895 227 Clone 6 TCE

DVD Shrink 3.2:
DVD Shrink encountered an error and cannot continue. Failed to read the file “E:” Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

Other Attempts
Per the last Red Dwarf problems, I tried:
• If you turn off the setting “Remove protection based on unreadable sectors…”
Turned off (unchecked). Still had errors.
• Remove Annoying Adverts and Trailers + Jump directly to _____
Both unchecked. Still had errors.

Just for grins I tried some of the same thing with my old Plextor PX-716A. Same problem with both CloneDVD2 and DVD Shrink 3.2.

Summary for drive F: (AnyDVD 6.0.8.2)
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a Data DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 2030976 sectors (3966 MBytes)
Total size: 4055018 sectors (7919 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: E2416
Media is CSS protected!
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is locked to region(s): 1!

RCE protection not found.
DVD structure appears to be correct.
Structural copy protection not found.
Changed firstplay: Jump directly to TitleMenu!
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Bad sector protection not found.
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

try to rip with a free program call VobBlanker in conjunction with AD 6082
download here
sometime it works when all else fails
leave at defaults

just saw this
Data error (cyclic redundancy check) on your post
most likely you have a deep scratch
do a cdf search on cyclic redundancy check or crc errors for more info

And I want to say congratulations I have never seen such detailed posting on a problem this was very helpful to offer help to you as well. Yes try VOBBLANKER as it seems to work well on this most of the time. I would try to right click the fox on the taskbar and rip to the HDD too, and then process through a burning app. as well sometimes this works. You can adjust the read speed as well with anydvd slowing it down. Have you tried to use a different drive if you have more than one?

Last time I confused people by being too detailed and methodical; I tried to be simpler this time. I seem to have hit a happy medium–all I did was follow the “Please follow these directions” stickie post. You mean people don’t read those? :bigsmile:

The scratches are all pretty minor and it plays fine on even my old cheap-o integrated TV-DVD player.

I have cleaned it prior to copying, no luck. Most of the food and fingerprints are on the kids DVD’s, not the adults, but i did try. :wink:

My old DVD reader is slow, I’ll try it on the newer reader at the slowest speed. I got my masters in EE by majoring in Communication and Information theory (the math part, not the Telecom part) and focused on encoding, cryptography, error correction and detection (they all sort of bunch up). I’m pretty familiar with CRC errors…ran hundreds of them by hand. Ugh.

I’ve only tried getting it to hard drive. I’ll try AD 6082 when I get home tonight and report back. Thanks for the hints on where to go next.

Found the problem; luckily nothing major.
There is a scratch that follows the circle of the CD.

It affects the extras (fan films). That doesn’t bother me; I can still watch the shows. One more friend I won’t loan to!

Thanks for the help, sorry it wasn’t a ‘real’ AnyDVD problem.

Question that came to mind while reading this thread. . .

On audio CDs in the old days, if I had a scratched CD, I was able to repair it usually using some sort of liquid sold for that purpose – Applied the solution sparingly to area of the scratch, gently rubbed it with a cotton cloth in a straight motion from inner ring to outter edge. Never had a scratch that didn’t get repaired in this manner.

Can you not do something similar with DVDs? I’ve also seen someone post about bringing their scratched DVDs to a rental place and have them clean the disk on some sort of machine.

Yes there is various ways of getting this done. Take it to a rental place and have it done, or look for a disc skip fixer( liquid in a bottle and you put it on and rub it off)…this always doesn’t work so said but I use the disc skip fixer and it always solves my issues.

Thanks Doc for confirming that some of the old CD fix methods may still work with DVDs. Haven’t had the issue yet, but nice to know there are options.