Red Book or IEC 908 download

pls can anyone post a download link?!

Yeah , that would be pretty cool.

It’s not free.

You can order it here for € 153.87

Thx for your nfo. Yes, I can remember I’ve read somewhere something about this - but then is this the CD-Rom with the whole Rainbow Books as PDF files?

Anyway, I can’t imagine there’s such a big difference from the red book to the yellow book, and the yellow one I’ve already found to download at:

http://bc_____________________.bei.t-online.de/Ecma-130.pdf

(21 underscores - cool! :wink:

O.K., I will keep on searching, because I don’t want to spent or waste! that much money, if I find something I will post it here.

CU, Sam

:eek:

http://www.moogman.com/forum/mainboard.php

Just had a thought:

Here you can find lists of patents that Philips and other companies have with different patent offices. Couldn’t you do a patent request (for about $3, I believe), for all the different sections, thus getting the equivalent of the colored books for a much cheaper price?

Originally posted by Sam123456789
[B]Thx for your nfo. Yes, I can remember I’ve read somewhere something about this - but then is this the CD-Rom with the whole Rainbow Books as PDF files?

Anyway, I can’t imagine there’s such a big difference from the red book to the yellow book, and the yellow one I’ve already found to download at:
http://www.moogman.com/forum/mainboard.php [/B]

Nope , you just get the complete Red Book.

Well actually there is not such a big difference , but the Yellow Book refers a lot to the Red Book and does not thoroughly explain everything as the Red Book should do.

Originally posted by SirDavidGuy
[B]Just had a thought:

Here you can find lists of patents that Philips and other companies have with different patent offices. Couldn’t you do a patent request (for about $3, I believe), for all the different sections, thus getting the equivalent of the colored books for a much cheaper price? [/B]

I doubt that , since i know a little on how about the Philips Natlab works with their patents.( I work at Philips Medical Systems) They don’t patent a “product” they patent the technology which is used to get to that product. I think you would require a LOT of patents just to get the complete Red Book specification.

But i could always ask :slight_smile: However due that i work there i have to sign some forms and can’t give you the Red Book :frowning: Don’t wanna lose my job over something as little as 150 euro’s.

:confused:

redbook => audio
yellow book => data

:confused:

Index of all books:
http://www.ecma.ch/ecma1/STAND/standard.htm

!!! Rainbow Book:
Data Interchange on Read-only 120 mm Optical Data Disks (CD-ROM), 2nd edition ---- has 45 pages
ftp://ftp.ecma.ch/ecma-st/Ecma-130.pdf

!!! Volume and File Structure of CDROM: ---- has41 pages
ftp://ftp.ecma.ch/ecma-st/Ecma-119.pdf

! Volume and File Structure of Read-Only and Write-Once Compact Disk Media ---- has 168 pages
ftp://ftp.ecma.ch/ecma-st/Ecma-168.pdf

maybe also interresting:

120 mm DVD - Read-Only Disk
ftp://ftp.ecma.ch/ecma-st/Ecma-267.pdf

DVD Read-Only Disk File System Specifications
ftp://ftp.ecma.ch/ecma-tr/tr-071.pdf

120 mm DVD Rewritable Disk (DVD-RAM), 2nd edition
ftp://ftp.ecma.ch/ecma-st/Ecma-272.pdf

@SirDavidGuy: I’ll do a research for the 'XSP’ecial boot patent later. Maybe they describe it somewhere really detailed.

@Mr. Belvedere: thx for the additional info. At the moment my main problem is to find details how the TOC and other stuff is stored in the LEAD-IN (and how this data can be reproduced). I hope there somewhere are txts with helpful infos. Eventually you can find somewhere a file called “red book” at work?

@Upp3rd0G: redbook => ?? audio - yellow book => data ??
Thats right. Sony and Philips started with these “coloured” books in the early 80’s and added with every new CD “format” like CD-XA or CD-i new “books” (thats why they’re called Rainbow Books, but there exists different Rainbow books also, which are related to Digital Security and other things -not CD related)

@Upp3rd0G: redbook => ?? audio - yellow book => data ??
Thats right. Sony and Philips started with these “coloured” books in the early 80’s and added with every new CD “format” like CD-XA or CD-i new “books” (thats why they’re called Rainbow Books, but there exists different Rainbow books also, which are related to Digital Security and other things -not CD related)

Um, he knows this; he was pointing something else out at the time…

You’re right, if taken his answer as “re-quest” on my statement - “why (no) big differences between yellow and red book”.

But I can’t find big differences about how the data of both Discs, Data and Audio, ist stored on CD. Shure there are differences, but both use EFM, Subchannels, Lead-In Lead-Out, Pregaps, 2352 Byte sectors. This is what i meant.

But of course it would be better to go for the roots (Red book) to find out how it all started.

CU, Sam

I’ve made a sticky post here which is a small portion of the ECMA-130 to let all people know about why the red book is so hard to get and why it’s not downloadable anywhere. It informs about things you all know already but it might be nice to get the question about “where’s the red book” solved once and for all.

Thank you for the link and the post!

CU, Sam

Hi Everyone

I am interested in Rainbow books does anyone have a link were i can get them please respond. Or does anyone have to share…
:-}

Hey man let me know when you get one please share if i find anything i will let you know