Recurring issues with my LiteOn drives: best advice?

I’m confused too, are all iHasX24-98 drives mediatek? (98 older model?)

[mod note: see post #4 and beyond for the meat of the problem. -Albert]

you need MT1839LN chipset for crossflash

Since we had a number of questions regarding the chipset of various LiteOn drives, I guess it is useful to add a link to KTL’s comprehensive database of LiteON drives: http://club.myce.com/f44/ktls-database-chipset-features-clones-lite-dvd-rw-drives-330616/

CVS, lots of info but doesn’t detail the 04 07 98 suffixes, and it seems no shop includes A B C D W in their descriptions (referring to the ihapx24 series). I’m looking for a replacement to my 524-98A, tried an 124, got a w, horrible lots of coasters, returned it, tried an Asus 24B1ST, pie over 200,000 and pifs over 4000 on TY 8x, it coastered verb dl’s and some crappy CMC, and it ruined an RW. any decent burners left??

[QUOTE=regnod;2691327]CVS, lots of info but doesn’t detail the 04 07 98 suffixes, and it seems no shop includes A B C D W in their descriptions (referring to the ihapx24 series). I’m looking for a replacement to my 524-98A, tried an 124, got a w, horrible lots of coasters, returned it, tried an Asus 24B1ST, pie over 200,000 and pifs over 4000 on TY 8x, it coastered verb dl’s and some crappy CMC, and it ruined an RW. any decent burners left??[/QUOTE]

something must be wrong on the user end cause i can make a better burn with a candle :bigsmile:

I don’t know what else to try, cleared OPC memory, tried different settings (FHT OHT on/off), reinstalled drivers, changed the sata port and cable, nothing has made any difference.

so what burners do you have right now and what firmwares are they loaded with? i don’t believe the 24B1ST would mess up the verbatims unless they were a bad batch, what’s the bin on those verbs? what chipset in your 24B1ST?

Right now I only have my old Liteon iHas524-98A, I sent the Asus back 2 weeks ago, returned the iHas124-04W back this week. Both of them would stop burning Verb +r dl midburn at various locations. I forget the Imburn error but it was common, googled it and only came up with one thing over and over, use quality disks like verb dl. Both the Asus & 124 were horrible with my TY 8X too. I also checked - No upper or lower filters, drive is DMA 5.

My 524 will at least do full burns but still screwed up. Just tried again last night, cleared opc and turned on OHT (oh yeah, with OHT off I have to clear opc memory everytime or this drive won’t complete the burn either), burnt at 4x. The pic is 3 verbs, 2 partial burns 1 full with banding, scan is this burn with the banding.

I got the verb at amazon, says azo, made in singapour, hub code on this banded disk is PX28U3F7397211

I used to get jitter with this drive with winXP, didn’t anymore when I upped to Win7.

Last week forgot to uninstall the asus before removing, did the command to show hidden devices in device manager and uninstalled it, ran sfc /scannow no errors found. I’m using the patched CDspeed, a while ago I updated the intel chipset drivers, I tried to start scanning a 0001 like some said on here, naturally neither worked to restore jitter.

I didn’t mean to hijack this thread, I’ve run out of ideas.

Those suffixes are meaningless to the actual chipset being used since they’re for packaging purposes. The -04 has typically been meant for OEM, meaning drive only. The -98 has been retail packaging with software. The -07 is rather new and has been the ‘W’ chipset with retail packaging.

Not everyone has the time to go to physical stores and look at the various packages. I’ve been to Wal-Mart, CompUSA/Tiger Direct, Fry’s, Microcenter, and Best Buy in the past, not particularly looking for them, but just passing by in my OWN, SPARE time, and collecting the results. I’ve also checked the user feedback from NE since some people will report what chipset is being used, particularly, the iHAS124-04, since NE doesn’t update the picture at all.

So forgive me if my list doesn’t help you. :Z

KTL your list is terrific thanks for putting it together!

there is a firmware update for your drive, get it here, see if that improves anything

yeah I know never updated the firmware because if it weren’t broke, don’t fix it, up till now. That’s probably why I’m in this trouble now - upgrading something (quite a lot in the last month actually, firefox flash avast videocard adobe reader java win7 updates click 'n ship something else I can’t remember right now, everything wants to be updated all the time and I’ve been burnt before from that). Now that I think about it some more it began around the time I upgraded the vid card driver (only 10 months behind!). But I was starting to get very minor banding before this blow up, now it’s quite major, and not just this drive.

I vaguely remember something about HD audio interfering (grasping at straws) and why, if I don’t clear OPC memory it chokes? (same thing with the Asus I returned, major banding).

actually firmware was the first thing you should have updated, if that doesn’t fix it, probably nothing will, good luck

Been using it for over a year/half with minimum troubles, the occasional iffy burn and probably not even 3 coasters that entire time. While the drive is showing it’s age I don’t think it’s the main problem, the other drives choked worse - a LOT worse - something with my system is screwing it up. Having to keep clearing OPC is kind of odd though (same thing with the Asus, I don’t think the 124-04w had that option (or fht/os/oht)).

The other oddity is I used to use the SmartBurn util (wasn’t even installed since I upped to win7, didn’t need it) didn’t work now so been using the EEPROM util to change fht/oht/opc, doubt that has anything to do with having to clear OPC all the time for it to not coaster.

well, you can do what you want, this is what i would do: i’d clean the laser with alcohol and a qtip, and update the firmware, then i’d test it with media from different batches, aka buy new… if it was still messing up i’d throw it in a trash and get a new burner

[QUOTE=regnod;2691457]Been using it for over a year/half with minimum troubles, the occasional iffy burn and probably not even 3 coasters that entire time. While the drive is showing it’s age I don’t think it’s the main problem, the other drives choked worse - a LOT worse - something with my system is screwing it up. Having to keep clearing OPC is kind of odd though (same thing with the Asus, I don’t think the 124-04w had that option (or fht/os/oht)).

The other oddity is I used to use the SmartBurn util (wasn’t even installed since I upped to win7, didn’t need it) didn’t work now so been using the EEPROM util to change fht/oht/opc, doubt that has anything to do with having to clear OPC all the time for it to not coaster.[/QUOTE]

Could your power supply be under strain, or showing its age?

[And would you mind if we split this into a new thread?]

My PSU seems pretty solid especially with the CPU crunching away at 100% no problem (Q6600 @ 3.2ghz). I tried new drives and they were worse, and did clean the laser (have a few times).

Yes please split to new thread, didn’t mean to threadjack sorry bout that.

I’m guessing there’s no way, if you get any new drives, to try the drives in another person’s computer? Might help completely solidify that it’s not your computer, but the fault of the drives or media.

And have you tried any brands other than LiteOn recently?

And the banding is because you have to force OHT to keep the burns going. Speaking of that, you don’t have HT (HyperTuning) turned on, do you? (I’m assuming “no” but just checking.)

Difficult to try in another computer, my bro works all different hours and never answers the phone, my parents system is totally buried way down in their desk, huge hassle having to pull it out to get anywhere near it, most of my friends don’t have a computer (they’re more into bikes and bars, mid life crisis’).

I tried a litey 124-04w and Asus 24B1ST both were disasters, far worse than this 524-98A.

HT has been off mostly, I tried it a time or 2 and didn’t help.

I’m more than 1/2 convinced it’s not the drive(s) and something wonky is happening with my system, now that I’ve been messing with it for 2+ weeks. but sfc \scannow came back with no errors and it’s very stable.

And I’m more than 1/2 convinced it won’t complete a burn unless I clear OPC first, not sure OHT is helping, a few with it off finished with no banding, but scanned even worse. I think I got 3 that are passable and 15 verb dl coasters, here’s one with HT/OHT off after clearing OPC. My TY 8x are burning ok (but didn’t with the other drives). I got another Verb +R Spindle today, again from amazon (because I had some $ in my account), partial burn… I don’t think it’s the discs but who knows at this point, nothing makes any difference (all the things I’ve tried are in previous messages in this NEW thread).