Recovery discs

vbimport

Hi everybody
Can anybody help I have a Advent 7011 Laptop, the dreaded blue screen came up on start up ,went to put the recovery disc in (3 in all) but the first disc is damaged .has any one got a copy or get rid of that blue screen:confused:

What operating system do you have?

[QUOTE=Whappo;2485778]What operating system do you have?[/QUOTE]

Hi Whappo its XP home edition

[QUOTE=heatline;2485777]Hi everybody
Can anybody help I have a Advent 7011 Laptop, the dreaded blue screen came up on start up ,went to put the recovery disc in (3 in all) but the first disc is damaged .has any one got a copy or get rid of that blue screen:confused:[/QUOTE]

Your going to have to reorder if from the company again. Those recovery cd/dvd are something you have to order not something given.

Try this first.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2485979]Your going to have to reorder if from the company again. Those recovery cd/dvd are something you have to order not something given.[/QUOTE]
Brought from currys years ago, there not intrested I will buy new op system from Ebay thanks anyway

[QUOTE=heatline;2486109]Brought from currys years ago, there not intrested I will buy new op system from Ebay thanks anyway[/QUOTE]

Your asking for more headache there I wouldn’t trust ebay as far as I can throw it. There been scam O/S seller on there with illegal keys and or blacklisted keys. Your better off buying from newegg.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2486120]Your asking for more headache there I wouldn’t trust ebay as far as I can throw it. There been scam O/S seller on there with illegal keys and or blacklisted keys. Your better off buying from newegg.[/QUOTE]

:iagree: :iagree:

If the price sounds to good to be true , it usually is ( RUN )

Try that recovery disc in a friend’s PC to see if it can read and make a copy of it. If so, then your laptop most likely has a failing CD drive or it needs cleaning.

As the first recovery disc is most likely the OS only, you can try getting a copy of the Windows XP Home CD from someone else and use the Windows product key printed on the bottom of your laptop during installation.

I would strongly recommend avoiding purchasing XP Home from an unofficial source (e.g. eBay), as even if you use own XP product key during installation, there is always the risk that the unofficial CD may have malware, patches (to circumvent activation), etc. that could potentially lead to activation problems later on after a WGA Windows updade or even resulting in your own XP key being blacklisted.

Once you get the OS disc, boot it and go into the Recovery console. At the prompt, type in “chkdsk /f C:” to run a check on the OS drive. In over half the BSOD’s on boot I’ve seen, these were fixed by simply running chkdsk on the drive.