Recovering old Floppy Disks using a Kryoflux

I’ve never handled an 8"er, but I’ve certainly seen a few around exclaiming “whoa, those are big!”.

They are indeed. I had an 8"drive connected to my Commodore VIC20. It held a whopping 128 [B][I]KILO[/I][/B]Bytes, or 512 256 Byte ‘pages’. I handwired the controller on hobby blocks and even wrote a BIOS (in Assembly).

On the vein of “floppies”, just in case anyone’s interested - I’ve also just reviewed a “unbranded” floppy emulator using USB keys as the memory.

Reminded me of this:

LUI, thanks for the comments about the durability, too. Our field folks look like they’re going to get a few of these - somehow - and will see if they can’t “Raspberry” them into some kind of small enclosure. (They’ll probably end up with gingerbread house models or something - why did I EVER suggest they visit doll-shops for plastic enclosures?!!

I was kidding! HONEST!!

But now we have guys out in the field that pull out Mattel Barbie houses and doors and window shutters have have power-plugs and USB and COM ports…

I’m so embarrassed.

But the techies say, “Are you kidding? You can’t believe how popular I am with the girls in those offices-!” Uh yeah. A techie with dollhouses. Lordy…

I can’t find a user file or manual, so I’ll ask:
There are 4 power inputs on the card.
USB, power connector, 4 pin header, and 4 pin molex.
What are they for?

There is a manual inside the Kryoflux Software ZIP download under the documentation section.

The short of it is that you normally don’t need to use these connectors - improper usage will damage the board. The board can be merrily powered off USB, with the drive separately powered directly.

In the case you have one PSU and two drives, then the connectors on the board can come in handy for rerouting power as an ‘adapter’. There is also a way to make the Kryoflux power off the barrel connector - these were additional features which were intended if a ‘standalone’ mode was created.

So don’t bother with them - USB will be fine. You may also want to visit and read some postings in the Kryoflux Support Forum at forum.kryoflux.com

Thanks for the reply.
I am thinking of resuscitating my Microsoft Windows NT 3.1 install floppy disks[ 22 of them]. They stop on the third disk - bad read

Well, there’s no guarantee with these things, but trying several drives with a high retry count can sometimes succeed.

Other times, the media itself has been damaged, accidentally erased or affected by magnetic fields - it’s hard to tell for sure, so good luck :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=malmal;2686585]I can’t find a user file or manual, so I’ll ask:
There are 4 power inputs on the card.
USB, power connector, 4 pin header, and 4 pin molex.
What are they for?[/QUOTE]

Are we even talking about what the OP posted? Also where is a pic or link so we know what your talking about?

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2686641]Are we even talking about what the OP posted? Also where is a pic or link so we know what your talking about?[/QUOTE]

I, as the OP, will just step in and say - yes, it’s Kryoflux related. If you look at the images of the board in the first part of my review here, you might see that the board has USB, a 2.5mm DC barrel jack, a 4-pin ‘molex’ style connector and a four pin header row in between the USB port and the barrel jack configured for a berg connector pinout.

The confusion often arises because people think the board might need additional power but this is generally not the case. These connectors can add flexibility where there is a need to adapt or split the power source, or in case of new standalone modes being developed. Incorrect power source with poor jumper selections may fry the board by bypassing regulators!

Lui, I haven’t seen these products yet but Hubby’s office folks said they received theirs on Friday. They’re going to spend this weekend going thru stacks of FDDs now to see how much fun they can have. I think it’s a betting game or something.

Hey, I did some research in the early days of tracking the C-64 & Amiga presence on the internet and I found some really cool nostalgia sites popping up in parts of Europe… but one country in particular: Germany has a cult-like fascination with these ancient machines and they put a whole bunch of this old media (games, demos, programs) on hard drives and online which apparently given how big hard drives are these days could transfer quite quickly on today’s connections.

While there isn’t quite a presence as there used to be of these nostalgic hobbyists (getting old, dying out…) you can still find these sites… out there if you search. Over the years, I’ve kept up with a c=64/amiga music archive set of sites. There’s even internet radio stations out there dedicated to computer game/demo/electronic music. If that spirit of getting every ounce of productivity out of today’s machines was happening, we’d have supercomputer desktops.

Yeah, you said it, the legends are occult here in europe.
It makes it possible by using an standard (pc) HD Floppy drive to read and write almost any 3.5" diskformat.
There is also Catweasel, its fantastic hardware!!!

These days even for “PC” and with 5.25"…

:bow: