Recovering data from lousy burns, possible?

vbimport

A week or so ago, I had to make lots of room on my hard drive available in a hurry.
I ended up burning ~20 GB of data to 8 DVD+R’s, without having the time to make sure they were burned correctly.
Anyway, this weeked I have been trying to move back the data to my computer, and, of course, 4 of the 8 disks did not burn properly.

I used an HP 200i burner with “e3works” branded DVD+R’s I found at Future Shop for extremely cheap. I used Nero Burning-ROM 6 to burn.
The files being burned were being streamed across the network, but Nero reported the burn completing succesfully.

I have many computers in the house, with a couple different drives.
Drives the disks have been tried on:
HP200i they were burned with
HP200i different than the one above
NEC 3250A
Liteon CD/DVD combo drive
Whatever Fujitsu puts in their notebook computers

All give the same results:
Disk 1 - Computer can read the disk, but it takes forever trying to navigate through it in explorer, and evey now and then it will stop and give a “Cyclic Redundancy Check” error.
Disk 2 - Seems to work fine, contents copied back to HDD safely
Disk 3 - Seems to work fine, contents copied back to HDD safely
Disk 4 - Computer cannot read the disk, My Computer shows ‘DVD-RW Drive’ instead of the disk name, or My Computer hangs trying to read the disk.
Disk 5 - Computer cannot read the disk, My Computer shows ‘DVD-RW Drive’ instead of the disk name, or My Computer hangs trying to read the disk.
Disk 6 - Computer cannot read the disk, My Computer shows ‘DVD-RW Drive’ instead of the disk name, or My Computer hangs trying to read the disk.
Disk 7 - Seems to work fine, contents copied back to HDD safely
Disk 8 - Seems to work fine, contents copied back to HDD safely

Now I realize this is mostly my fault for not checking to make sure they were working before deleting them off the hard drive, but I had to make room for a transfer in a hurry. I’d rather not lose all the stuff that is unreadable if at all possible.

Is there anyway of retrieving stuff off of these disks without paying for it to be done professionally?

Try ISO BUster it is freeware.

I decided to start trying to get the first disk working, since it’s at least partly functional.

ISOBuster says it is a “Blank CD”, but even windows explorer can tell that it has files on it, it just won’t do anything with them.

“DVD Data Rescue” from http://www.naltech.com/ can read the disc, and says it can retrieve the files, but I have to give them some money first .
Think this program has any chance of working?

PS- When I put in one of the really broken discs and hit refresh in ISOBuster, the program hangs and I have to end the process. Same thing happens when I try and use DVD DR on the disks.
You know that 2-3 seconds after you put in a CD and Explorer kind of hangs as it accesses the disk? Well when I put in one of my dead disks, it gets stuck in that mode until you ctrl-alt-del.

I know the data is on the disks, the burner was making all the proper noises and all. I’m assuming CD’s have header files at the start the way files do? Any chance they did not get written properly and that is why nothing can be read?

You could try this: