Recover lost data in formatted CD RW

Hey i found your solution and i tried to dump my cdrw, but which options do i have to use, I have to reinstall the program iso buster to continue dumping my cdrw, i dumped cca 45% of the cdrw (before 18 months), is anybody here familiar with this process? so i can dump my cdrw to finish? and save my data?

Hey all,
I know this is an old thread, but I used the method described in it to recover some data from an erased CD-RW, but now I’m having trouble getting the data into a usable format.

The CD is an audio CD that was recorded in a stand-alone audio CD recorder. It was not finalized before it was erased. Stupidly, I hit erase on the recorder when I intended to hit finalize. But apparently all the audio data was still there as I recovered 633 MB from the CD using Isobuster. I now have a .BIN file with the data, but I can’t figure out how to get it converted into an audio file. Most programs which should read and extract info from BIN files will not recognize it as anything. Since it was not finalized before it was erased, is it a lost cause? Or is there something else I have not thought of that I can try?

Thanks,
Doug

Probably its now only a very big WAVE file with a header from a bin(ary) file.
Maybe you could load it into a good audio tool and split and save the different audiotracks.

Thanks for the suggestion. I had already tried renaming it as a WAV file to import into Adobe Audition, but it wouldn’t open. However, I just renamed it as a .pcm file and Audition opened it just fine. Just thought I would post my solution here in case anyone else has the same problem.

Drag the [bin]file into a good text editor (I use TextPad (pay) or ViM (OSS)) and look at what the header and following data are, if you see RIFF in there it is a big .wav file. But it could be encoded with all of the ECC data so not much use, IIRC ISO Buster has options to extract the data in quite a few ways try then and see what you can work with.

OK for people that don’t really understand what the heck the people are talking about in the above, here is what you do, if you have the money to do so. Forget all that mess about putting a new large 700 mb bin file, its too much trouble. You got money to blow? There’s a program called cnw recovery located at http://www.cnwrecovery.com/ no less. I don’t think they will mind me advertising. Now if you have quick formatted your disk this is your next route. You are going to have to shell out a whopping $150 for the full program with forensics so you can activate the unerase option of the program. Then you put in the disk in question, load the the D: drive. find the unerase option in manual. I had to play around with the unerase option but i found that these sets of options worked to unerase the quick format : 0X7, 0X20 CD-ROMXA, OXc XA Format 2, and i think that sums it up for that part. (These are just drop down options). Now just click unerase and after a bit it will say its done. go back to the main screen and clik on carve. Put the byte range in (which you can find better by using ISOBuster as stated above). Then click ok or next or whatever it says. Now your files should be found. The images folder has wmv, jpg, mpeg and gif folders in which the program seperates the objects into. IDK about other formats so you might want to check that. There are a lot of other functions in the program but this i found to work. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=luizha;547730]Hi,
there’s a way to recover, or UNformat a CD-rW ?

I have some pictures and loose them when the camera formatted the disc. I think it is the quick formatting

Assuming the disc still remain unused, can I recover my old data??

Wich tool can I use for??

Thnx and sorry about the grammar.[/QUOTE]

hi luizha
i have the same problem,i deleted some folders i had saved on a CD/DVDRW disk.i have not overwritten it or stored anything else on it. when i go into the properties the info is still there.i tried most of these lame programmes,some couldnt do what i was looking for,some couldnt even read the disk,some where posing as free ware when they were not.
there was 1 programme however that worked a charm its called diskinternals cd and dvd recovery.go to their homepage www.diskinternals.com,scroll down the page till you come to a prog called
cd and dvd recovery,thats the one you need.there is a trial version available it allows you to scan the disk,it worked for me.however although it will show you your files it wont allow you to retrieve them as you need to purchase the full version:a other than that ever other programme sucks,so dont bother with them.
p.s
if you have managed to get your files another way,could you please tell me
thanks.

[QUOTE=BlackDay;2529006]OK for people that don’t really understand what the heck the people are talking about in the above, here is what you do, if you have the money to do so. Forget all that mess about putting a new large 700 mb bin file, its too much trouble. You got money to blow? There’s a program called cnw recovery located at http://www.cnwrecovery.com/ no less. I don’t think they will mind me advertising. Now if you have quick formatted your disk this is your next route. You are going to have to shell out a whopping $150 for the full program with forensics so you can activate the unerase option of the program. Then you put in the disk in question, load the the D: drive. find the unerase option in manual. I had to play around with the unerase option but i found that these sets of options worked to unerase the quick format : 0X7, 0X20 CD-ROMXA, OXc XA Format 2, and i think that sums it up for that part. (These are just drop down options). Now just click unerase and after a bit it will say its done. go back to the main screen and clik on carve. Put the byte range in (which you can find better by using ISOBuster as stated above). Then click ok or next or whatever it says. Now your files should be found. The images folder has wmv, jpg, mpeg and gif folders in which the program seperates the objects into. IDK about other formats so you might want to check that. There are a lot of other functions in the program but this i found to work. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

:doh:i should really check the dates of these posts,i was replying to the original post and seen it was made years ago,:bigsmile:
i have the same problem as luizha had.i deleted some folders from a rewritable disk,i havent overwritten it,but the properties tells me that theres 2gb used and 2 available,i tried all the above progs and only 1 did exactly what i was looking for it to do.it was diskinternals cd and dvd recovery.