Recover hd data via slave hd

Hi folks!

Have my old Win98 (HP 4550Z) hd, the data of which which I did recover using an external HD. Something happened, and I had to reinstall my XP Home OS, and of course like a dummy, I did not backup, online or a cd, the my documents data that I had recovered.

Then I tried same recovery, but the win98 OS no longer opens. A dos type info system opens (HP, I think), telling me that I am missing a windows exe prog. Right now, the HP puter itself is mechanically down.

Now using a 2006 HP a1010n, with xp home, sp3.

Can I, via the slave HD hookup on this a1010n, access the my documents data from the old win98 hd, and save that data to a cd, the a1010n hd, or export them to an online backup? Any How to’s around?

Any hd recovery progs recommended? Prefer, freeware of course.

Thanks much in advance, Diligent

I don’t see any problem. If you’re just hooking the drive up as slave, XP should be able to read the data and copy it to the primary hard drive. Are you sure the HD cables/connectors are them same, meaning IDE?

Thanks for replying! Uh, the old win98 hd connected OK to the (newly 2008 purchased) external drive connections, but absent physically trying, dunno if the old win98 HP 4550z, hd housing connection will connect to the new a1010n connections. Is this what you were asking about; the “IDE” connections?

You seem to say, implicitly, that the a1010n with xp home, should be able to read the data on the win98 HP4550z hd, even though the old win98 OS seems kaput–without any recovery program. Is that right? …BTW, this is what an HP chat person seemed to indicate but with a language barrier, and efforts to sell some “service plan”, not so overly sure…ya know! :confused:

Would I have to change any BIOS priority boot order, ya think?

Appreciated, Diligent

Just because the OS won’t boot doesn’t mean you can’t retrieve the data. You’re not trying to boot the W98 drive so why change the boot order? I’m a bit confused about how you’re installing the old drive. I thought you were just going to slave it to the drive in your PC. What does “absent physically” mean?

“dunno if the old win98 HP 4550z, hd housing connection will connect to the new a1010n connections. Is this what you were asking about; the “IDE” connections?”

Yes.

[QUOTE=Whappo;2224493]Just because the OS won’t boot doesn’t mean you can’t retrieve the data. [/QUOTE]

This clears up my main confusion. Thanks much!

“boot order”… The hp person I mentioned, said this: “Please restart the computer and press f1 continously and we will be on the bios screen. ***
when we are on the bios screen you will have the option as main drive and slave drive, you need to select the slave drive.”

That is why I asked the boot order question.

“absent physically”:…Until I actually “physically” try to see if the old hd cable and connections do fit onto the new a1010n cables and connections, I really don’t know if they will fit or not.

“…confused about how you’re installing the old drive. … just going to slave it to the drive in your PC.”

I am inquiring about connecting the old hd as a slave to the new a1010n.

Really hope this helps out the confusion! I know how it is… cause I help others on firefox issues, on my own time, & confusion irritates me.

Thank You for your efforts. Diligent. :slight_smile:

recontacted HP chat, with (I think) a more knowledgeable chat person:

“You need not have to make any changes in BIOS. Once you connect it as slave it should get detected.”

Hence, your question-observation is correct: “You’re not trying to boot the W98 drive so why change the boot order?”

I also verified that the old 4550Z connections and cables are IDE’s, that also did fit with the a1010n IDE’s.

So given all this, think I am good to go Whappo?

Sounds like you you’re ready to give it a try. Make sure you have the master/slave jumper on the W98 drive set to slave.

Good luck.

OK, thanks for your opinion. Do Appreciate your time. Diligent.