Recover files from a formatted drive

Just recently i bought myself a copy of windows vista, inserted the disk to install the OS from start up, only to later feel stupid in formatting and installing vista on the wrong drive. Thing is, i only did a quick format, not full. Is there any way I can recover files from this drive?

Please tell me there is:sad:

You may have only done a quick format but you proceeded to install an operating system on the disk. Any files that were in the area that is now occupied by the OS is gone and can never be recovered.

I can’t speak for the ability of the various file recovery utilities on the market in their ability to retrieve old data from a volume that has a new operating system installed. You have nothing to lose so give it a shot, just expect to recover nothing and treat anything you do get as a bonus.

You can rule out data recovery, no one pays for the service as it is prohibitively expensive. You can buy a dozen 1TB drives for the cost of recovery of a single drive, which would give you enough redundancy to never need to worry about data loss.

Now might be a good time to buy some USB flash drives to store all of your critical documents. Applications are easy to reinstall, but documents not so much. Keep those protected by storing them on more then one device at all times.

I’ve been tryin a couple of data recovery programs. i’ve only managed to recover 23 of the files from the hard drive, most of them are pictures, all get listed, but none are viewable. The one’s I’ve managed to recover were only because of a jpeg image file fixing program. the rest seem corrupt or partially there.

I guess i got lcuky they weren’t in a spot that was used by the OS.

All files are found but i could only recover a few. Any way I can get around this, and recover all the files?

I would try with O&O unerase or pc inspector file recovery…

GetDataBack is the only program that has ever worked for me, I recently formatted a hdd twice due to an error in a linux install and got 150gb back of 250gb lost (100gb was steam back ups so didnt rescue it just mae it again)

THANKS SLAYERKING!!

GetDataBack has worked the best so far for me. I was able to recover more of my pictures. But still had to run them through a jpeg fixing program.

This program has saved the most time for me too, everything has been very time consuming.

[QUOTE=waldo67234;2299295]THANKS SLAYERKING!!

GetDataBack has worked the best so far for me. I was able to recover more of my pictures. But still had to run them through a jpeg fixing program.

This program has saved the most time for me too, everything has been very time consuming.[/QUOTE]No problem.

Go back to step 2 and select another recovery sector that it displayed and try for your pics there. If you right click a file thats recovered and select view it will work or wont if it works save it.

R-Studio is another good program you might want to try

Photorec is also free & works great for small files.