Recover A DRU810A

vbimport

here we go

Bought the drive works fine four a about 4 months. Then 1 Day
had this error While trying to burn a movie. So i tried to update the firmware. Everything went fine restarted PC But then DVDRW drive Wasent Registering at bios start up DVDRW Wasent Their.The Firmware Itself was from sony site and For The DRU180A.

Searched and searched Google

Read somthing like IDE hot pluging but not to sure DRU810A Is Able to Flash At MSDOS plus could’nt find a RCP File And Firmware updates Are all EXE’s Which means no .bin file

Some help or advice Would Greatly Be appreciated

by the way warrenty is out for it

If you successfully flashed a Sony DRU810A (a rebadged Benq 1640 if memory serves) with Sony DRU180A firmware, then the drive may be unrecoverable. I think there are some LiteOn bad flash recovery utilities, but I don’t know if it’ll work on what was originally a Benq drive. My guess is that it probably won’t work.

Yeah read Some Stuff about MSDOS Hot Pluging With Leaving power on and Unpluging IDE but never refering it to The DRU180A. other People are successful but With Thier Own Drives Never read Of Anyone Bringing This Particular One Back Though…I Tell You Thats The Last Time I Buy A Sony PC Component WILL STICK TO THEIR TVS STEREOS AND OTHER STUFF NO PC COMPONENTS From Them though

A DRU180A is a Liteon clone, a DRU810A is a Benq clone.
Is your drive a DRU810A or a DRU180A ?
Did you flash it with a DRU810A or a DRU180A firmware ?

Flash with incorrect firmware is no fault of Sony. Flash Pioneer, Samsung or any other brand with incorrect firmware is apt to yield same result. BTW Sony doesn’t make their own drives; they have been made by Benq, LiteOn, NEC and Samsung.

heres what i have (WIN98 Boot To Get To MSDOS) (ntfsdos on floppy to read local disc) (mtkflash on local disc C:) along with the firmware located at C:\DRU_810A-1.0f not sure how all this works together but thats were i am at. Heres what happens,reboot with no IDe but with power still connect to dead drive while CDrom is all normally pluged in during boot it is On Secondary Master then i switch IDE’s after msDos is done loading with power still on then put in ntfsdos disk to run from C: drive but it says CDR101:not ready reading drive D:
abort, retry,fail,?

I get the error while trying to run mtkfalsh or DRU810A firmware from dos

It is definitly a DRU 180A says on the back of the drive it has vents on the side with two faces to choose from

Tell ala42 the exact file you used when the flash went wrong. Or just post a link to it.

Also if you can pull that drive out and take a pic of the label and post that.

I think you’re wasting your time, [B]dead_drive[/B]. There’s no recovery tools for a failed flash on old BenQ’s. MtkFlash is for MediaTek chipset drives, yours is Nexperia. And hot-plugging the IDE cable is risky for your motherboard as well.

Hi,[quote=dead_drive;2048196] along with the firmware located at C:\DRU_810A-1.0f not sure how all this works together

I get the error while trying to run mtkfalsh or DRU810A firmware from dos

It is definitly a DRU 180A says on the back of the drive[/quote]Why do you think, firmware for DRU[B]810 [/B]fits to a DRU[B]180[/B]? This can’t work at all since the hardware is totally different.
Also, I wonder how you managed to flash your drive with a totally wrong firmware. :confused:

Well, if your drive is a DRU810, than bury it. A dead flashed Benq can’t be revived.

Michael

EXCUSE FOR THE LANGUAGE ERRORS THIS IS ALL DRU810A Related

Ignore The “DRU180A” Errors THIS IS ALL DRU 810A RELATED

JUST WISH I COULD SOME BRING IT BACK

instead of hotplug why don’t you first try to disable the drive on the bios. I mean, turn on the pc with the drive disconnected, enter the bios and then if your drive is connected as secondary master then disable that port on your bios. shutdown the computer plug your drive and turn on again.
on windows 98 boot disk don’t choose cdrom support.
try xsf instead of mtkflash.
and never use the full or off swithches that erased you eeprom !!!

hope this helps something. lucky

[quote=khynho;2048262]try xsf instead of mtkflash.[/quote]The DRU810 drives are Benqs with Nexperia chipset.

This unit is dead. R.I.P.

Michael

Why do you say it’s DRU810 related if “It is definitly a DRU 180A says on the back of the drive?” If it’s indeed DRU-180A, then recovery may be possible. Unfortunately mciahel is correct that the drive is unrecoverable if it’s a Benq clone, i.e. DRU-810A.