RecordNow (maybe)

I am getting a wierd issue which my CD/DVD drive. However I don’t know if the DVD drive itself is the problem as it also exibited itself with a different DVD drive from my old machine which I had put in there.

Originally I saw the problem when trying to install the game Gothic II. It would seem to be sluggish responding to the disk, and when I get the install finally going, somewhere during the process (sometimes make it to the next CD to install, not always) it would fail with a hard lock. This is with both the original BIOS, and 1006. I assumed at the time it was having issues with some copy protection technique, and since I just borrowed this game from a fried to take a look at it, I didn’t worry about it.

Recently however, I saw the problem with URU Ages Beyond Myst. I successfully installed and played the game without issue when I first got it. A few months later, I wanted to play the expansion pack, and my machine would not reliably read the disk anymore, showing the same problems Gothic II does.

I have burned a few things, all sucessfully.

Anyone have any idea what may be causing these problems? The reason I am posting here is someone in a newsgroup suggested I post here and also thought the problem might be with my buring software.

The drive is a HP DVD300n (which has automatically been keepings its firmware up to date when I log in). The other drive I used when testing was an old Toshiba SD-M1202 CD burner/DVD player that I took out of my old machine.

P4G8X Deluxe
Granite Bay/ICH4/IT8708
ASUS P4G8X ACPI BIOS Revision 1006
Penium 4 3.06 GHz
2G memory [1]
GeForce Ti 4600
HP DVD Writer DVD300i [2]
120G HD (WDC WD1200JB-75CRA0)
Creative SB Audigy 2 (WDM) [3]
Windows XP Pro (I keep up to date on the updates).
RecordNow (4.56 - build 450B38d.370 (HPQ))

[1] 4 sticks of 512M PC3200 DDR. I think. Can’t remember exactly what memory, but I researched memory and used the top rated stuff I could find (as I recall, it was a tie between two brands).

[2] The box it came in says DVD300xi, front panel of drive says DVD300i, system thinks it is a DVD300n)

[3] I did recently update the drivers for this. Didn’t fix my crash problem, but on the plus side, WinAmp stopped its occasional stuttering.

Anyone? Doing some digging, it appears a couple of people have had problems with RecordNow and McAfee (the virus scanner I use) not playing nice with each other.