Recording with nero wave editor

I’m trying to record an audio file on my computer for use in a dvd I’m creating. I know I have done this before, however I can’t seem to figure out why it’s not working this time around.

Originaly I remember using the record option and selecting the input to be “What U Hear”, this would then record whatever audio file was playing on my computer directly from the sound card (i assume).

That option is not available when I try now, the only input option seems to be “Master Volume” and only records through my microphone which is not what I want to do. I’ve tried changing the input device under device options, but then it simply doesn’t record at all. Any help?

I’m using the Nero 7 Ultra addition, which I’m fairly sure is what i used before too.

Hi Styka and welcome to the forums :slight_smile:

Right now i can think of two things that may be responsible for the missing option.

From a quick search it seems like the option can be related to the soundcard and corresponding software. Did you use to have another soundcard before, quite possibly a creative soundblaster type and changed to a new one?

The second culprit could be the OS itself; were you using XP and upgraded to Vista? From Nero’s FAQ:

"[I][U]I’m using Windows Vista, and the Recording Console in Nero WaveEditor/Nero SoundTrax only shows “Master Volume” instead of the input options. Why is that?[/U][/I][I]

Unlike Windows XP, Windows Vista recognizes every input option of your sound card as a separate device. Therefore, you first have to select the desired sound card input in the “Device Settings”. To do so, please proceed as follows:
Open Nero WaveEditor/Nero SoundTrax and then select the “Options” → “Device Settings” entries in the menu bar.
→ The “Device Settings” window will open.
You can now select the desired input device.
After that, the Master Volume entry in the Recording Console represents the input device selected in the Device Settings window[/I]"

[QUOTE=Hemispasm;2295052]Hi Styka and welcome to the forums :slight_smile:

Right now i can think of two things that may be responsible for the missing option.

From a quick search it seems like the option can be related to the soundcard and corresponding software. Did you use to have another soundcard before, quite possibly a creative soundblaster type and changed to a new one?

The second culprit could be the OS itself; were you using XP and upgraded to Vista? From Nero’s FAQ:

"[I][U]I’m using Windows Vista, and the Recording Console in Nero WaveEditor/Nero SoundTrax only shows “Master Volume” instead of the input options. Why is that?[/U][/I][I]

Unlike Windows XP, Windows Vista recognizes every input option of your sound card as a separate device. Therefore, you first have to select the desired sound card input in the “Device Settings”. To do so, please proceed as follows:
Open Nero WaveEditor/Nero SoundTrax and then select the “Options” → “Device Settings” entries in the menu bar.
→ The “Device Settings” window will open.
You can now select the desired input device.
After that, the Master Volume entry in the Recording Console represents the input device selected in the Device Settings window[/I]"[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the quick response.

Both of those are true actually, I’ve since upgraded my computer significantly (previous was a 5 year old dell). I’m still using a (new) soundblaster card but I did get vista 64 bit on the new machine.

I actually played around with the device settings before posting, but if i choose anything other then my microphone as the input device nothing is recorded at all. boggle

I was able to find a work around for this issue through using other programs, but it would be nice if i could simply use wave editor in the future.

Sad to say I’m not overly tech savy, and most of my nero’s apps have a habit of locking up frequently making it more annoying to play around with the settings.