Recording setup problems

hi, i have just purchased a second hand palsonic dvdr 160g, it works well.
my problem is i have a digital plasma tv, plus cable, plus an audio amp, and i cannot seem to be able to set it up to record both tv and cable whenever i want it.
also by using the dvd to store the tv channels the image is not clear, i do not have a set top box but i do have the digital tuner it the tv set.
hope this explains it correctly. thank you Treasure

[QUOTE=treasure49;2208815]hi, i have just purchased a second hand palsonic dvdr 160g . . . my problem is i have a digital plasma tv, plus cable, plus an audio amp, and i cannot seem to be able to set it up to record both tv and cable whenever i want it . . . also by using the dvd to store the tv channels the image is not clear, i do not have a set top box but i do have the digital tuner it the tv set . . . hope this explains it correctly. thank you Treasure[/QUOTE]

Perhaps the owners manual may be helpful in setting up your machine. It may be downloaded and saved to your computer’s hard drive and viewed/enlarged or selected pages may be printed out as needed.

From this link go to DVD, DVD Recorder, DVDR160G:

http://www.palsonic.com.au/customer_service/manual.htm

Hopefully the Palsonic manual will provide answers to your questions.

Some additional connection options may be found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=12298409&postcount=10

These diagrams/explanations are based upon USA/Canadian models. Your Palsonic may have some connection variations based upon regional distinctives.

First and foremost the DVD standard is 480i, you’ll never get better than that. If your’re watching TV on your TV’s digital HD tuner the quality from your DVDRs “analog” tuner will be much worse. Your best bet would be to get a cable company STB that will tune the digital HD channels (like your TV) and then feed that via line input to your DVDR(that or buy a DVDR with a digital tuner and record from the QAM channels like your TV gets).
If you record from a HD source you’ll get a better picture than recording from a analog source, which is what you’re doing if you’re using the tuner in your Panny.
Using a digital STB I’m able to get recordings that equal a commercial DVD which does not compair to the true HD when watching it direct on your TV. Using the analog tuner in the DVDR I’d say the picture is fair at best. I never record from the analog tuner anymore.