Recording protection on the 5005

vbimport

Throughout the forum there are posts where users lose programs already recorded on the units. It happened to me upon inserting -r/+r dvds into my US 5005. On the dvd were episodes of shows I record until the dvd is filled and then finalized. It happened when I put the dvd in to record another episode. I inserted the dvd and then the _ _ _ appeared on the lcd screen. I could not stop it. When the 5005 was done the episodes were gone and the dvd was unusable. I now use the protection button on the edit screen and this has tried to occur again but due to the protection button it stopped it. I ejected the dvd and the 5005 recognized it and then I record another episode. I never used the protection because I knew I wouldn’t erase any thing I wanted to keep, but who knew the 5005 would. The protection can be removed if you want to intentionally erase anything before finalizing.

I’TS ONLY A THOUGHT BUT WHEN RECORDING,DO YOU USE THE GUIDER SCREEN.?IT’S EASY TO CLICK ON THE WRONG ICON AND ERASE INSTEAD OF RECORDING.I NEVER USE IT FOR RECORDING FOR THIS REASON.I PRESUME DVD+R’s CAN BE WIPED THIS WAY.OTHER THAN THAT I CANT THINK WHY IT WOULD DO THAT.I’VE HAD A DISC WIPED FOR NO APPARENT REASON ALSO AND STILL DONT KNOW WHY IT DID IT…THE ONLY OTHER TIME HAS BEEN WHEN YOU HIT THE STOP BUTTON DURING RECORDING AND THEN IT LOCKS UP…JUST AN IDEA,NO OFFENCE INTENDED.

You do know that caps are considered YELLING and in turn rude? :confused:

robbie, it happened when I inserted the dvd into the US 5005 and did not hit any button. I powered up the 5005 hit the open tray button, inserted the dvd. The bar across the screen said reading and then the _ _ _ appeared in the LCD screen. Maybe my 5005 got some weed smoke in it :slight_smile:

No offense was taken and thanks for the reply.

Thanks for the protection tip. Our 5006 machine is doing the same thing and we have only had it a few weeks. I just upgraded firmware and it still does the same. Put disk in record a short program. Take disk out and then put it back in again and it goes to preparing and turns it into a coaster.

I am taking the machine back as I am sure it must be faulty.