Recording on Printable Discs

vbimport

I’ve tried all the top brands available and find there is a problem with all printable discs. I get a successful burn about 50% of the time. This problem does not exist with non-printables. Is anyone else running into this problem?

Hi [B]CompuDisc[/B], welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

I moved your thread to the Blank Media parent forum, because the Blank DVD Media Tests forum is only for posting test results and not for general discussion.

• Moved thread * *

Having bought a Canon IP4200 printer, I tend to buy mostly printable media - but only Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden.

Not had a problem (yet).

Are you recording before or after printing?

Good question :iagree:

Also, what brand(s) of printable discs?

Yes good question indeed. I’ve never printed onto a printable before but I always get the feeling that the printer would scratch the disc somewhat.

And if it does in any way, it’s way better to be after it’s been burnt.

I agree. I haven’t had time to print any discs yet, but that’s how I’d do it.

Makes no difference at all whether you print 1st or burn. No properly functioning printer will affect the data side of the disc at all, assuming the user handles the disc correctly.

[B]CDan[/B]: In this case, most printers would be not properly functioning, but that’s the sad truth.
My Canon Pixma ip4300’s disc tray is too shallow, so I can always see some more PIF clumps after printing even if I really take care…

I’m all interested now. I’ll have to try printing first, then burning, and vice-versa. :slight_smile:

Hey guys,

I have a Canon Ip4000 and FWIW, the manual says in the CD-R print guide
"quote"

Only print on CD-Rs/DVD-Rs after having recorded data. Printing before recording data may result in finger prints, dirt or scratches on the CD-R/DVD-R causing recording errors.

Mmm, so it looks like its just a matter of being very very careful. I prefer to do it like the manual says though. :slight_smile:

Cheers
Musical

The manual [PDF] for a small thermal printer, the TDK LPCW-50, explicitly mentions that printing should be done on blank media and not on recorded media:

[ul]
[li]We recommend that you use this product for printing on blank, unrecorded CD-R discs and other media.[/li]> [li]Printing on CD-R discs and other media that already has data recorded on it may cause the data to become corrupted.[/li]> [li]Note that TDK Recording Media Europe S.A. shall not be held liable for any loss or corruption of data recorded on CD-R discs and other media arising through the use of this product.[/li]> [/ul]
I can’t say whether this is just a cover-my-a** warning or whether it should be taken seriously.

Most people print their inkjet printable media after recording without any problems.

…oh and heres a few more things we can do if we wanna get particular :doh:

Hold CD-Rs/DVD-Rs by their edges. Take care not to touch either the label surface or recording surface…

Be sure to remove any dirt from the CD-R tray before placing CD-Rs/DVD-Rs on the CD-R tray. Use of the CD-R tray in this state may scratch the recording surface…

Do not get dirt on, or scratch the reflectors on the CD-R tray. If the reflectors on the CD-R Tray become dirty, wipe the reflactor plate clean with a soft, dry cloth taking care not to scratch the plate.

end quote

Musical

Oh Drage you pipped me at the post with your post…

Mmmm being a thermal printer I wonder if they work a whole lot differently to an inkjet printer ?

Musical

I’m using an Epson R200 to print my disc’s with and have no problems after printing. I always burn
the disc first before printing it. I just can’t see wasting ink on an unplayable/bad burn by printing it
first then burning it. :disagree:

Same here. I burn and test before printing (IP4000).

None of my further scans of printed discs show any change in PIE/PIF figures, except for the couple of first burns last year, when I didn’t pay much attention to the shallowness of the Pixma tray.

This whole thing is a non-issue when one is careful and doesn’t turn the disc in the tray.

Now about the original question of the OP, yes most mediocre discs can be worse in their printable version. This has often been reported. With some questionable media, the difference between a successful (but mediocre) burn and a coaster can be very thin depending on your burner and burning habits… so throw in some balance issues from a badly manufactured printable layer, and here come the coasters.

Nothing of the sort with premium discs, though…! So as it has already been recommended above, use good discs and your problems will probably go away.

Ditto,

I’ve used TY and Verb’s with no problem. I do a TRT and QS after the burn, then print using Epson R300, the do QS after print, no change at all.
Out of the last 300+ printable DVD’s I had in the last couple of years, only about 2 were bad, and that was after the burn and before I decided not to print.

I don’t see how the printer can damage the disk, it’s stationary in the printer tray, just the tray moves while the print head sprays ink on it. One can alway scratch the disk when they put it on the tray carelessly, but I would think most people are more careful.

I’d print after burning, if only so that I could be sure it was a good burn before investing all the ink. If you get a good label but a bad burn, you’ve wasted the ink.

Get a burner that can do quality scans and you can check the burn before you commit to printing the label.

I agree to get good brands of media. rima.com (USA) and blankmedia.ca / ncix.com (Canada) are great sources. I’m sure similar sites exist in other countries. Most retail media is hit and miss.

Printer trays, at least the Canon ones, are made almost identically to the trays in DVD drives and players. The disc lays in them the same. No reason at all to think they are any more or less “hard” on a disc. As always, it’s up to the user to control the outcome when it comes to handling discs.

I’ve burned then printed and scanned, printed then burned and scanned, and there’s no significant difference in the outcome, ever. Nor should there be.

• We recommend that you use this product for printing on blank, unrecorded CD-R discs and other media.
    • Printing on CD-R discs and other media that already has data recorded on it may cause the data to become corrupted.
    • Note that TDK Recording Media Europe S.A. shall not be held liable for any loss or corruption of data recorded on CD-R discs and other media arising through the use of this product.

I can’t say whether this is just a cover-my-a** warning or whether it should be taken seriously.

Most people print their inkjet printable media after recording without any problems.

Any damage that can be done to a recorded disc can be done to a blank one and the results are going to be worse if you damage a blank disc then burn it, am I wrong??