Recording engineer develops everlasting glass CD

I just posted the article Recording engineer develops everlasting glass CD.

Recording engineer develops everlasting glass CD A Japanese recording engineer has developed the world’s first glass CD guaranteed not to warp, distort and of a beautiful design,…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/12542-Recording-engineer-develops-everlasting-glass-CD.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/12542-Recording-engineer-develops-everlasting-glass-CD.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

A terrible idea.Now CD’s are more Fragile then ever.

For audiophile only :B :stuck_out_tongue:

LOL! The fact remains that it still is and always will be a 44Khz/16bit recording - This is where error correction comes in and to say that glass will “improve” sound quality, I mean who are they kidding, if this were April 1st i’d say it was an April Fools! . Comparing a 16bit/44Khz audio CD to a live performance, that made me laugh! This is DIGITAL AUDIO here people not a vinyl :slight_smile: CD Audio are read at a 1x rate and as long as oyu don’t have uncorrectable errors why make those bogus claims? Those glass CDs still hold the same amount of data and use the same format - If they were comparing a 192Khz/24bit audio with 44Khz / 16bit then I could understand, but this is bloody ridiculous! :B

“Music critics who have tried out the CD said that it’s outstanding and virtually like listening to a live performance.” I wonder how much longer after the vinyl era those “experts” will get paid. The idea is not bad tho. Glass probably seals better than plastic and besides doesnt warp. Who knows may be in future when DRM is no more ppl will buy those as masters for storage and backup on memorex ;)… or they will wait for lead crystal.:X

:frowning: Stupid ! Glass will not change audio quality on a CD. Optical storage is based on digital datas stored on a disc and read by a laser. If error correction is done correctly (player is built for that), the datas delivered are exactly the same as those written when producing or writing disc. Also, article is not true. First glass discs have been produced in 90’s by a French company : Digipress. This was called “Century Disc”, with pure gold. I have tested one. It is really flat, with very good reading signal (thanks to gold), and fragile off course. Europe can be better than Japan :wink:

glass is liquid. Even though glass may last longer then plastic, but they can never say something will last forever. Anyway, the whole press release is one of those rare press releasees that make people laugh.

I don’t know if this is truly laughable, as it is quite ingenious–just to create something like this that actually works astounds me. I’d at least applaud the man for making something like this that also works.

Yes in terms of longevity and low error probably - Sure give him credit - But the bogus article lacks credibility and is full of inaccuracies - Comparing the sound quality of a classical CD to a “LIVE” performance, despite the digital sample still being 44Kz/16bit is a major joke - The fact it is stored on glass means the data is read better, probably means less error rates, but it will NOT change audio quality to make it near-reality sounding, come on ! This is ridiculous to make such claims unless they have tested and compared with really CRAPPY audio CDs which had so many errors that it affected audio (so many uncorrectable errors). They should try comparing with a Maxell Gold Taiyo Yuden CD-R or Kodak Gold Ultra Archive and a glass CD-R and both audio will sound identical… :slight_smile:

Glass has it’s advantages, but plastic do too. Yes, glass does not warp, but it can shatter or break when it’s dropped or when it’s bent - 1 accident and there goes your forever lasting glass CD!

Did they develop also a everlasting CD reader :d

Players interpolate signals values when a read error occurs. That’s called error correction. Sometimes interpolation is a good method, but in other cases result in a distortion… It’s true than plastic can cause problems than glass can’t. But nothing is perfect. A HD-DVD is unreadable with the plastic specs of a cd, it has to offer less optic distortion properties, because reading errors are more probably

As nice as DVD and CD’s are for music and data, etc. The reader is still mechanical and will wear down. Time for flash drives. no moving parts.