Recorder unable to read cds (NEC ND-2500A)

[qanda]This thread is about the NEC ND-2500A. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi !

I am so glad i found this site,and appreciate all the help i can get. I am a newbee 
   so please bear with me, Thanks.         
   I have the NEC DVD_RW ND-2500A recorder  and since last week it does not read 
   or write any cds. It still reads and writes dvds so what happened ?
   The second problem is that the  system  ASPI  {WIN- XP sp2 } was already installed 
    and I foolishly installed the nero aspi [ the recorder came with nero 5 ] Now I have
    2 uninstall the nero aspi but I do not how.The computer turns off every time I try 2
     use any audio device so I am guessing that the 2 aspis are causing a conflict.
     Please help, Thanks.     SH .

Your drive has two lasers, one for cds, one for dvds. Sounds like the cd side of your drive has died.

The second problem I’ll not be much help with since I haven’t messed with aspi in a very long time. Try uninstalling Nero entirely.

If that doesn’t solve the problem you can try running the Nero Removal Tool. This one should work for Nero 5 and 6: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Uninstallers/Nero-Clean-Tool-Bundle.shtml

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

In addition to what Kerry has said…can you boot from your OS CD using the NEC?

You may have to alter the Boot Sequence in your PC’s BIOS first, to make the NEC the first Boot Device.

If your OS disc fails to boot from the NEC, then it does indeed look like new drive time.